Need Generator Help - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Need Generator Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Forget it! IF Dale vouches for it, I'm good with that. He is a man of his word.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yup, I trust Dale. Here's something really, really cool. He's giving it to me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-11-2011, 04:57 AM   #43

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Tell him for me, I owe him a beer! I'll buy you a coffee!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Will do.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #45

you have to buy heavy gauge extension cords to soft wire to your panel in the event of need. Your standard weed-whacker 100ft extension cord that is made of 16-18 gauge wire is going to meltdown trying to pull 6 or 7 thousand watts through it for hours on end. [/QUOTE]

EXACTLY For sure you must check for minimum 12 awg or even a 10 awg. Also try to get that cord for connection to your mains as short as possible to reach where you need it. Don't go for the 200 foot job as it will surely drop your voltage. If you need that much length go for it. You can also buy a roll of 12-3/w ground awg or better 10-3/w ground awg and cut it to length and put the connectors on it that you need.
Some of those long cords that you buy have connectors that are not very good as all the wire strands may not be conneted (usually spot welded) very well. This will cause a voltage drop along with heating of the connectors so better if you put your own connectors on or if you notice any heating of the connectors, replace them with good ends that you can get same place you get the cord.

Also, remember that many of the generators run at 3600 rpm to give you 60cycle, so they are very noisy.... The inverter generators that are usually smaller and much quieter, will serve you well during an outage, Most of these are 2000 watts or less but check em out and they may be what you need.
The larger heavier ones will run more but as i said are noisy and are heavier also.
Check out the inverter gens, most will power your fridg freezer ac and more but not as many at same time. They are great for camping and boats etc.
Hope this helps.

JOIN THE NRA TODAY
BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER SINCE MID 70'S
VET US NAVY, CVA-66, USS AMERICA 65-68 OE DIV

Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 AM   #46

Default small inverter generators

Check out the Generac inverter generators. Small quiet and supply good power. Compare to Honda , cheaper but good performers. We (local ham radio ops) bought many of the larger gens after hurricane opal years ago and they did a great job but were all very noisy.. Just what you need and what fits those needs Most are 2kw or less.

Power in a small package

New to group/forum ....... howdy all

JOIN THE NRA TODAY

Old 05-24-2011, 03:55 AM   #47

[QUOTE=sea_goin_dude;505750]Check out the Generac inverter generators. Small quiet and supply good power. Compare to Honda , cheaper but good performers. We (local ham radio ops) bought many of the larger gens after hurricane opal years ago and they did a great job but were all very noisy.. Just what you need and what fits those needs Most are 2kw or less.

[Power in a small package

Hey ya'll or yous'guys I have one of the genenrac (2000) gens on the way will let you know how it works out. I have read a lot of good reviews on it and it is cheaper than honda and yamaha for sure.
It looks from the latest weather that we may well be in for some serious stuff this year. Much of the bad stuff goes north of us but we get blasted sometimes as a few weeks ago. B'ham alabama. I am 150 miles east of B'ham but we do catch some of the serious stuff. I am a ham radio op so am setting up with a new deep cycle batt and this generator so that I can stay on the air if need be. ALSO to keep the AC running in this hot weather. Back during hurricane Opal my power was off for a week So at least I should be able to stay powered up if we have problems this year. Just today I hear over 100 were killed with the tornados in the midwest. Doesn't look very good for this year weather wise. Good luck to everybody......stay safe

JOIN THE NRA TODAY

Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Dude, which model did you order? How about a link?

Old 05-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #49

This is the one I ordered. They have smaller like 800 watt.

click here for link
Generac 5793 Portable Generator - iX2000 - 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator

Check here for all makes models etc.

Electric Generators Direct - Your Portable Generator and Home Standby Generator Superstore - Power Generators, Gas Generators, Home Generators, Backup Generators, Electric Generator, Portable Generators, Power Generator, Gas Generator, Emergency Gene

JOIN THE NRA TODAY

Old 05-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's a nice setup. Thanks for the info.