Need Generator Help - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Need Generator Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #31
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2397 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

We have a 5th wheel trailer and I bought a Honda 3000 for it. If things get bad we can shift from the house to the RV. It also has a solar panel for the lights and light loads. I have 5kw of solar on the house. We usually live in the trailer for 3 months in the summer so we are used to being in it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That'll do.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #33

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Default Do'H!

I mistyped the hours on my generator! When I got my Argosy/ Airstream
motorhome, the Onan gen only had "100 hours" on it! It has never had "in
field use", since I have owned it...but the 4500 watt gen has seen us thru
about 30 hours of power outages! I would reccomend that wattage as a
minnimum even though it was enough to power the freezer full of game meat,
the fridge, entertainment center & the a/c in a summer outage. To doing the
same in a winter situation, with a "lesser load" by providing power to the gas
fireplace blower instead of the a/c! AND not to forget a pair of table lamps in
both situations, as well! My next home will feature a natural gas fired gen,
(but for now) the r/v gen gets the job done! (Hope this info helps)! But you
must run individual power cords to prevent "backfeed" to each appliance so
that you will not kill a utility worker trying to restore your power outage!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have done a lot of remodeling work in my day (worked my way through college doing it), and one rule i have heard and followed is that harbor freight is great for tools that you are not going to be using a ton, but many people have told me they are not tools you wan to use heavily.

I can't speak for if it is true for the tools being used every day, but i love all the things i have from there that i use occasionally. I have heard they have a lifetime guarantee - but have not used that myself either.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #35

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Default Harbor Freight electrical tools?

"FUGETABOUT IT"! They are junk!!! I have my doubts about their "extended
warranty" as 2 of their battery chargers have failed me! The first two failed
in the 90 "day window" & were replaced by an "upgraded one" that lasted
long enough to fail after the warranty...but it still works as a 2amp "trickle-
charger" to keep my motorhome 12 volt system working! (I hope the darn
thing will last long enough to get my mh to spring)!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm bumping this because I can buy a gas generator from my buddy for cheap. I want a generator because it's generally a good idea if you live in the country and just in case shtf.

It's an MTC brand, but I can't find anything on google about it. I've seen the generator in his garage, but I didn't pay much attention at the time. It's 10 horsepower, 6k watts and something like 27 amps. It has about a five gallon gas tank on the top with a hole in it to access the spark plug.

He'll sell it to me for $300. and help me get it set up and ready to go at the new house. What do you think?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #37

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If it runs and is reliable, good deal! Run it once a month for 15 minutes and keep fresh gas in it. Should be OK!

Might want to ask how many hours it has on it and what he was running off of it. That gives you an idea of what kind of load (Constant duty and Intermittent) it can be expected to provide.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 04-05-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #38

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Does it have a 240v outlet? That is the best way to get juice into the house.
Check it when it is running so that it is smooth, not surging with no load. I bought a McCullough gennie at an auction that wouldn't stop lurching and it drove us nuts trying to figure it out.

I would recommend changing oil to synthetic, whatever weight the model calls for. When it was below zero we ran the gennie overnight to power the furnace, fuel use went down 1-1.5 gal. per night compared to when it had dino oil in it.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

He got it for free and I'm sure he doesn't know how many hours are on it.

We're having a moving sale this coming weekend and he was going to bring it over and sell it for $400. When I told him I was interested, he offered it to me for $300. Like I said, I've seen it, but I never really looked closely at it. Unfortunately, while I'm an excellent carpenter, I'm a terrible mechanic. So other than the obvious, I wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

This is my very good friend Dale and he's quite the mechanic and hot rod builder. He's also my shooting buddy and we've been friends for many years. I trust him with my life and I know he's a man of integrity, so if he says something, I believe him.

He wants to go over it and for me to have a good look at it before I actually buy it.

I'll get more info soon.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I went and had a better look today. You can tell the generator lived on a jobsite by the cement dust.

It's 6k peak watts, 42 Amps at 110 and 21 Amps at 240.