Need Generator Help - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Need Generator Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 03:45 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Buyer Beware!!!!!

Ahhhh Harbor Freight. Some things are worth the money, But in this case you will definetly get screwed. Stay away from any thing that says chicago Electric. And stay away from reconditioned generators. Wills in da Swamp in La.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #22

Likes Given: 1

I bought 3500 watt "cheapos" from Northern Tools (about $280 each) for both Hurricane Ike (in Houston) and Gustav (gave it to my in-laws in Baton Rouge). Both worked fine running a window AC, computer/routers/modems, and fridge. I "time-shared" the fridge and the freezer (couple hours fridge, then couple hours freezer).

I used the Ike one for a day before my power was restored, then loaned it to friends who used it for a couple of weeks. The Gustav one was used for nearly a month before power was restored. I ran the Ike one for over 24 hours on a single five gallon tank (and still had gas left).

One thing to consider -- if you're in an area hit really hard by power loss, then gas will be hard to find. If you're rationing a few 5 gallon cans, then you're good for several days. But -- if you need to go past that, you may be in trouble.

You can convert many portable generators to run on natural gas (basically you switch out the carb -- natural gas carbs are $150 or so). You'll have best luck finding a natural gas carb if you're using a "name brand" (like Honda or Briggs-Stratton) generator ... which will cost you a few hundred more than a no-name brand.

You'll want to rig up a line from your home's natural gas feed (or have someone do it for you). You could use tanks of propane as well, but then you've got the same supply problem as gasoline.

I couldn't find a nat-gas carb that said it would fit on my Northern Tool generators (and am not handy enough to buy one and make it fit), so I just stockpiled a dozen or so 5 gallon cans of gas.

BTW -- there are all kinds of "watchdogs" in place for folks who price-gouge gasoline during a crisis. BUT -- there's nothing in place for those who price-gouge gasoline cans! We were in Baton Rouge when Rita hit; had to buy gas cans to make the drive back home and prices increased over 500%!

Last edited by woodsong; 08-30-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #23

I have this link for you. I think it will help you in your problem.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #24

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Harbor freight electrical stuffs aint that reliable either.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'll wait until after we've made the move and get settled. Then I'll shop around for a good quality generator. I don't want to waste money on junk, this is too important.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #26

I bought a Sicamamore brand generator. Built in NC. 6000 watts, 6500 surge watts. was $1200 but worth every penny.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #27

Sycamore Professional

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

Old 11-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks Doc. Those look pretty good.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #29
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Like your firearms, go for the best you can afford. You may not need it everyday, but when you do, you need it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Default well get a gently used motorhome!

Mine is nearly 30 yrs old, but the "apu" still has less than a thousand hours
on it! Mine has been a lifesaver several times when the power has gone out
several times over the past 10 yrs!