You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

The need for communication if SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
LOL - C'mon. Admit it. When you first got here and were running through all the "Space Zombies" and the "SHTF" threads you were thinking none of us had any clue what we were doing.... LOL
LOL....well lets just say I was not going to give out all my secrets of survival. I did spent a lot of time, on the the Government's dime surviving and existing with very little or no support, other than 11 other team members in some pretty out of the way sh!t holes in 3rd world countries and living with indigenous populations.

Though I have a little real world experience, and by no means am I claiming to be an expert or an authority on survival, but I do know every situation is different, I do think there are a lot of people out there who think they are prepared, are going to have some real eye opening awareness about real world survival, lack of everyday luxuries and the complete lack of morals, and true evilness that will emerge from desperation from their fellow man.

P.S. I am a not a fast keyboard typer.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 06-30-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Our GSR teams were 3 guys. We typically operated up to 10 miles from the FLOT. We used field expedient jungle antennas and 303s.

Once, we setup a field expedient 303 and talked to our BN staff duty NCO from Camp McCall. It was about 50 miles from us to where he was back on Bragg and we used nothing other than a PRC-117, an adapter that we jerry rigged with Radio Shack parts, commo wire and MRE spoons.

We learned a lot of field expedient commo tricks from our LRS-D commo guys.

PLL is phase loop lock. I'm not 100% sure what you do with them though.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:23 AM   #13
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13607 Times on 5777 Posts
Likes Given: 2260

Matt- were you running a vertical half rhombic? I used to do a fair field expedient ground plane, and if I had bamboo, WD-1 and some 550 cord could whip up a cubical quad. Left the Yagis to the flag waver types.

Due in part to the ease of MIJI with most radio commo, I stepped back 100 yrs or so for my commo needs around the home bunker. Back in the early days of rural, party line phone service, there were very few phone lines in rural areas. But there were phones in the farms, and they worked. Use the upper and middle strands of barbed wire fencing (cedar fence posts) as your phone lines. Simple loop circuit works, even if cut in one place (feeds from other end)

Back when the military was first going digital on land line commo, a bunch of TA-1s and TA 312s hit the surplus market REALLY cheap. Yes, can be tapped. But if you are tapping, you are in range!

Old 07-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Matt- were you running a vertical half rhombic? I used to do a fair field expedient ground plane, and if I had bamboo, WD-1 and some 550 cord could whip up a cubical quad. Left the Yagis to the flag waver types.

Due in part to the ease of MIJI with most radio commo, I stepped back 100 yrs or so for my commo needs around the home bunker. Back in the early days of rural, party line phone service, there were very few phone lines in rural areas. But there were phones in the farms, and they worked. Use the upper and middle strands of barbed wire fencing (cedar fence posts) as your phone lines. Simple loop circuit works, even if cut in one place (feeds from other end)

Back when the military was first going digital on land line commo, a bunch of TA-1s and TA 312s hit the surplus market REALLY cheap. Yes, can be tapped. But if you are tapping, you are in range!
I believe that 303s are vertical half rhombic. They require some math to get dialed in just right and they need to be oriented in the intended direction of transmission. They can also take advantage of ionospheric refraction. The downside is that they're tuned for the single emergency contact channel and as such, require you to transmit 'in the red'.

Jungle antennas are a pyramidal quad. There is only a minor loss of performance over a cubic quad, but they require no math to tune and they'll support frequency hopping. Jungle antennas are the standard field expedient antenna for ground forces today.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.