The need for communication if SHTF
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The need for communication if SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default The need for communication if SHTF

Some things one may look at for communication if SHTF happens is, CB radio, Usually this is cheap and has a fair distance to it. Or one may go the little more expensive Ham Radio, which has a longer range, more power and more versatile, some are very small and lightweight. Both can be gotten for use with a car battery and /or AC outlet adapter/plug.

Hand held walkie-talkies are OK but have limited range; there are a few expensive one that can reach out to ranges of 15 miles +/-. These offer some added advantages in that many have memory that can be programmed to access a given channel at a given time.

Prepaid cell phones would be great except when most people get one they screw up something vital to personal security that it makes them useless. That being their name and address that they put on the activation page of it when they are activating the prepaid cell phone.

An object of SHTF is anonymity and stealth. The cell phone can be activated by transmitted code and you can be tracked with a group or agency using your very cell phone as the tracking device. So if you had a cell phone and some ultra social-ist government agency, group, or osamaobama’s Hitler youth was looking for you it would not be too hard to find you. If one was to buy a prepaid cell phone and list a fake name address ect. To it then they do not know it is you, there fore they would not see you but would be tracking someone else.

Something that is overlooked in communication in an SHTF scenario is a small portable computer using wireless Internet. A desktop is out of the question sense it is not portable. A regular laptop is a little heavy and bulky to pack with you. Today though we have very smell and light weight hand held computers that are someplace in the range of 1 Gig Ram, 120ish Gig Hard Drive and weigh just a few pounds like this one Acer Aspire One AOD250-1326 Netbook - Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, 10.1" WSVGA, Windows XP Home, 3-Cell, White LU.S690B.037 at TigerDirect.com

The significances of this type of device being used as a communication device are that you can register under a fake name. It will allow you to up load and use encryption programs for sending receiving encrypted messages to others who are set up like you are. The power supplies is light and rechargeable with a lightweight foldable solar panel. One can pre-type and encrypt the message then connect to the Internet via wireless connection send the message very fast and disconnect hopefully before a trace/track can locate you. And just as important if you have the right encryption program it is virtually impossible for the government to break the encryption.

This type of Notebook is running for as little as $199 up to and around $500. Not to mention that a smart guy should be able to adapt some form of Ham/CB radio to it for comms. use without breaking into the wireless arena.

A definite plus would be multiple communication devices, but weight would be a concern here. The Notebook with wireless LAN and also using a connection to a ham radio would allow 2 deferent methods of communication transmition. If one was to say rotate the transmission sources it would make it harder for the bad people to get a fix on you sense they would detect you on one sources and most times they will listen to that sources only waiting for you to use it again.

Ham radio is not all but forgetting by the bad people, but does not gainer the constant monitoring by them as much as the internet and cell phones do now days so there is a chance you will not even be discovered at all or at least for quite a while.

Regardless if one gets a CB radio, or a Ham Radio one thing to make sure that this unit does not have is a Navigational device with it such as GPS. Why one may ask? Well it is because the bad guys can track you via GPS real easy and only takes a few seconds to know where you are.

Remember if it has any transmit capability (with the exception of Ham/CB) the bad guys can use it to find you.

opaww

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You're overlooking the military's ability to intercept and jam any/all radio bandwidths.

Some of the jamming equipment is so strong that it can blow radios apart. I've witnessed first hand, what an AN/TLQ-15 jammer can do.

The AN/TRQ-32 interceptors can direction find and intercept radio communications even if the radio sets are running "in the black" which is frequency hopping mode.

There are also smaller vehicle and man packable units that are capable of traveling further "behind enemy lines" that can intercept, jam and DF most radio communications.

I spent 3 years with a Military Intelligence/EW unit. You'd be surprised with the capabilities of such units. If the task force S2 (intel officer) was using his intel assets properly, there wouldn't be a movement made nor a word spoken that would go unnoticed on the battlefield.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Excellant point Matt, and you know your como. As stated any and all radios, including hand held and Ham, could be monitored. Do you would know what a PLL is and its use. Don't disappoint me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
You're overlooking the military's ability to intercept and jam any/all radio bandwidths.
DWDM, a burst transmitter, and a Fiber Phone. Done and Done. Just need to know color, channel and time & nobody is going to find you....

There is Fiber to the Curb in half the cities around the country already. Damn near every cable and phone company has Fiber to the Node technology. That makes for a lot of open lines of communication with not a large outlay in gear ( even cheaper if you just steal it after the SHTF )

I'm just saying.... I've thought about it.....

JD

Old 06-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

Damn, you too Dillinger, I am impressed big time with you guys.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Damn, you too Dillinger, I am impressed big time with you guys.
We aren't all the Muppets you thought we were when you showed up.

JD

Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
We aren't all the Muppets you thought we were when you showed up.

JD
I think you have me confused with someone else? If I thought you were
a Muppet or anything else similar, I sure as hell would have told you straight up! I know the signs and symptoms, and the smell of BS right from the start!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have wondered how the cellularly-addicted would handle not being able to push-to-talk. Personally, i have over 3000 rollover minutes on a 450 minute per month plan; i have a failure to communicate here.

As to your small portable personal computer for communication, have you played with an ipod touch? I read this forum from one about half the time (keyboard is kinda pokey).

Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
I think you have me confused with someone else? If I thought you were
a Muppet or anything else similar, I sure as hell would have told you straight up! I know the signs and symptoms, and the smell of BS right from the start!
LOL - C'mon. Admit it. When you first got here and were running through all the "Space Zombies" and the "SHTF" threads you were thinking none of us had any clue what we were doing.... LOL

Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #10

break out the

"complaints are really just others opportunities"

bring back W.