Natural Insect Repellent???? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Natural Insect Repellent????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol
I eat lots of garlic and am seldom bothered by any tick, or mosquitoes
And it makes your farts smell like olive garden. My wife LOVES the olive garden, so i just eat garlic,work up a good fart, then make her spaghetti.

Similar atmoshere and i save money :-)

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 06-01-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #12

Liked 217 Times on 163 Posts

Come to think of it I have never had a vampire bite. Love my steaks with lots of garlic and garlic bread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #13

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Off-the-Shelf and Homemade Natural Insect Repellents

Nutritionally, you can drink a tablespoon or two of organic apple cider vinegar and eat lots of garlic. Vitamin B1 taken daily is also supposed to help repel insects.

Homemade Herbal Insect RepellentsNatural insect repellents take only a few minutes to make and they are truly effective. A wide variety of herbal and essential oil mixtures can work. Mix, match, and experiment.
Repellent Soap: Add 10-15 drops of essential oils per ounce of liquid Castile soap (like Dr. Bronner's soaps, $13 for a 32-ounce bottle at amazon.com).
Try essential oils such as lemon balm (citronella), pennyroyal, lavender, and rose geranium. Wash before and after spending time outdoors.

Essential Oils as Natural Insect RepellentIt is tricky to get the right concentration of essential oils for a natural insect repellent. In general, less is best.

My dogs can tolerate only the smallest amount of essential oils (I use rose geranium) on their collars each week – just one drop – but it's enough to repel ticks. To find the dosage necessary to repel insects, start with a drop or two in your mixtures, and increase the amount as you find you can tolerate (no more than 10-15 drops per ounce of oil). Combining repellent essential oils and/or herbs with a fruit- or nut-oil carrier is a good technique when you want to dab a bit on your skin.

Homemade Insect Repellent Recipe #1:
10-25 drops essential oil. Try lavender, rose geranium (for ticks), coriander seeds, peppermint, cajeput and citronella
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon aloe vera gel (optional)

Combine the ingredients in a glass jar; stir to blend. Dab a few drops on your skin or clothing.

Homemade Insect Repellent Recipe #2:
25 drops essential oil (see above)
1/4 cup water or organic apple cider vinegar

Combine the ingredients in a glass jar. Shake to blend. Dab some on your skin or clothing.

California Baby Bug Repellent SprayCalifornia Baby Bug Repellent Spray ($12.15 for 6.5 ounce spray bottle at amazon.com)

Bite Blocker Natural Insect Repellent SprayLuckily, many ready-made herbal insect repellents are now found online or in your health food store. When buying, look for the words herbal, all-natural, DEET-free, non-chemical, non-toxic, and hypoallergenic.

Bite Blocker (9$ for 4.7-ounce spray bottle at amazon.com)

We in Alaska Buy Buhach by the case.
This all-natural insecticide is safe enough to use even on pregnant pets! Repels insects and spiders without chemicals
First made famous during the Alaskan Gold Rush, Buhach, pronounced “byew hack,” is a natural insecticide powder discovered in 1876. Prospectors used this powder to fight off ravenous mosquitoes. For over 100 years, it has continued to be used to kill mosquitoes, spiders, fleas, ants, black flies, roaches and other insects
Buhach is Mother Nature's “secret” pest repellent...no synthetic chemicals! Made of ground pyrethrum flowers (from the chrysanthemum family), Buhach insecticide powder repels spiders, ants, fleas, roaches, blackflies, mosquitoes and more, without harsh chemicals. Its natural ingredients make it safe to use around people and pets. Each can holds 8 oz. EPA registered; #703-1.
Organic “mother nature's” insecticide
Non-toxic powder formula
EPA registered; #703-1
Natural ingredients, contains ground pyrethrum flowers from chrysanthemum family
Works as a repellent when sprinkled and as an insecticide when burned
Kills ants, flies, roaches, fleas, lice, aphids, gnats, mosquitoes, spiders and deer ticks
May be applied to dogs and cats to get rid of fleas (safe to use on pregnant animals)
Won’t harm environment, safe for use around fruit trees, plants, mammals, humans, etc.
Active ingredients: Pyrethrums- 0.9%
Inactive ingredients: (powdered Pyrethrums flowers 99.1%)
Can measures 6½” high x 3”
Net weight 8 oz
Made in USA
You can dust it on your critters fur, sprinkle some on a window sill and flies that come in contact with Buhach are dead in about one minuet.
To keep away flying insects a Buhach smudge is wonderfull, dump some Buhach powder in a tuna can and set a match to it.
http://www.buhach.com/applications/applications.html
5202.jpg  

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 06-14-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1309 Times on 851 Posts
Likes Given: 2754

Thanks for the info.

I've been trying to find something that's easy to produce from scratch, but haven't found it yet. But I will keep looking. I've developed an allergy to the damn things (that's why my bites look so bad). In the mean time I'll be looking for some essential oils. The skin-so-soft is ok in the yard but I need something stronger in the sticks.

I found one crawling on my arm this evening while I was reloading in the shed!!!! I don't have a clue where that one came from.

I'll take zombies over ticks any day.

And unfortunately I hate garlic. I'm with the vampires on that one.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8501 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

I use this stuff, it is an essential oil blend with Lemon, Citronella, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass and 11 other essential oils. It really works against mosquitoes, black flies, no-see-ums and ticks. We don't have chiggers around here. Smells nice too.

http://everythingessential.me/Blends/TerraShield.html

Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Garlic and soap both work. Plain old soap. The kind the kids use to blow bubbles works good too. Also noted the there are less mosquitoes around if the kids are blowing bubbles. Something about the soap and glycerin in the air. We don't have many mosquitoes here in the desert but we did have success with bubbles up in Red River for a weeks vacation. Fishing was great too. Now those damn sun spiders they are racing into our house every time we let the dog out. Any ideas on fighting them?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts

We spray the Ortho home defense outside the perimeter of the house. They make one for indoors too that is safe for animals. If that doesn't help, I find that running and screaming usually helps.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #18

Liked 2502 Times on 1627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoimhin
Garlic and soap both work. Plain old soap. The kind the kids use to blow bubbles works good too. Also noted the there are less mosquitoes around if the kids are blowing bubbles. Something about the soap and glycerin in the air. We don't have many mosquitoes here in the desert but we did have success with bubbles up in Red River for a weeks vacation. Fishing was great too. Now those damn sun spiders they are racing into our house every time we let the dog out. Any ideas on fighting them?
.22 shot shells!

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #19

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

We used panty hose in the field and they work wonders!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
We used panty hose in the field and they work wonders!
How did you use them?