Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Natural Insect Repellent???? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/natural-insect-repellent-65262/)

TLuker 05-27-2012 11:50 PM

Natural Insect Repellent????

1 Attachment(s)
Ticks and chiggers have been killing me the last few years, and they're worst this year than ever. Below is a picture of a tick bite on my leg and just a couple of inches away is nice chigger bite to go with it.

Attachment 47059

This is something I wouldn't want to have to deal with if SHTF and could easy lead to a serious infection out in the sticks. The chiggers and sand fleas can be even worse. I've had both feet literally covered in bites like this. I generally use Cutter to keep them at bay but that would eventually run out if SHTF. So I was wondering if anyone knew about any good natural repellents.? Mud can help as a last resort but it's not exactly ideal. Any other ideas? :eek:

HockaLouis 05-28-2012 12:33 AM

No Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Lyme Disease in ol' Greenwood I 'spose or you'd be being ahellofalot more careful.

Natural? Avon Skin So Soft!?

TLuker 05-28-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 816300)
No Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Lyme Disease in ol' Greenwood I 'spose or you'd be being ahellofalot more careful.

Natural? Avon Skin So Soft!?

We have both, but the only way to make sure you don't get bit is to not go outside in the summer. I had two crawling on me last week and all I did was get out of the truck to open a gate. This one came out of the garden.

Skin So Soft does work pretty well, any idea as to what it is made from?

trip286 05-28-2012 12:51 AM

GOOGLE!
There are many natural plants of different species that are all over the US and repel bugs of all types. Citronella is the first one that comes to mind.
Me? I eat match heads the day before heading out if possible. About 5-6, and then 2 every day that I'm out. The sulfur comes out in the sweat, and bugs can't stand it. This is also something that would eventually run out in a true SHTF situation though.

Chandler51 05-28-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
GOOGLE!
There are many natural plants of different species that are all over the US and repel bugs of all types. Citronella is the first one that comes to mind.
Me? I eat match heads the day before heading out if possible. About 5-6, and then 2 every day that I'm out. The sulfur comes out in the sweat, and bugs can't stand it. This is also something that would eventually run out in a true SHTF situation though.

I thought you were BS'ing...match heads? Never heard of that one.

primer1 06-01-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandler51

I thought you were BS'ing...match heads? Never heard of that one.

It'll take lighting farts to a whole new dimension!

Durangokid 06-01-2012 02:40 AM

Spotted Fever is found in every state.:(

kycol 06-01-2012 02:56 AM

I eat lots of garlic and am seldom bothered by any tick, or mosquitoes

HockaLouis 06-01-2012 03:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
...or women or family or friends or customers or colleagues or neighbors or vampires or WASPs or Jimmy Durante or...

primer1 06-01-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis
...or women or family or friends or customers or colleagues or neighbors or vampires or WASPs or Jimmy Durante or...

Lmao. But damn its good when ur cravin it. Garlic expressions salad dressing! That stuff makes me wanna roll in it like a dog.