Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > naked/afraid. what would you take?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee View Post
Cooking pots have been made on the spot by many peoples, in many places. Clay pots, baskets with clay linings, hollow limbs, hollows in rocks, etc. You can boil water in a plastic bottle, if you know to suspend it by a string and keep it moving. :-) You can line a hole in the ground with leaves/clay and cook in it, by means of dropping heated stones and/or coals into the water. It's been done with the stomach of a large critter, too.
I like the pit and dropping hot stones into it idea. In the Africa episode, I don't think they had the leaves available though to make a lining that would hold any water. I don't think they could have made it any other way than with their cooking pot in the Africa episode.

In physics in college the professor showed how you can boil a water balloon without it popping. It's because the water transfers the heat away not allowing the rubber to melt or burn up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee View Post
I picked a CARBON steel cookpot and lid, so that it can be used to strike a spark and so that the lid can be used as a knife/hatchet. stone tools break easily, and not every area has suitable stone for knapping, either. Also, you need a knapping tool and a pad of some sort for your hand. Having one's partner bring the double-poncho with Mylar lining takes a ton of load off of you, along with the cookpot/knife/striker. aluminum pots, stainless steel or titanium won't strike sparks or take (and hold) a cutting edge.
They haven't explained how it works on the show, but I would suspect they wouldn't allow a customized multi-tool. Even if they asked for a Bear Gryllis Survival knife, they probably could get that either, because it's actually 2 items knife & fire starter. I have wondered what if they pick the same item? I think they rig the show so that wouldn't happen. Like maybe having 2 choices in case they both picked fire starter, then they'd get 1 fire starter and somebody's second choice for the second item.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #12

Liked 2436 Times on 1388 Posts
Likes Given: 1909

All these "real life" shows are about drama:

The repo shows

that don't put away and lock up cars and trucks,

The real estate flip shows where the house magically cleans

itself, etc.

Most of the fun of these shows is the action behind these

folks not having a clue what they are attempting to do.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

bildee, your first post was spot on, your survival knowledge is abundantly apparent. I too have an overwhelming amount of survival skills that I have honed over a lifetime of wilderness living and backpacking across Europe and the USA in my younger years. It seems the notion of being a "survival instructor" somehow gives you street cred in a real life or death situation is almost laughable. If viewers think this show portrays an actual scenario of what it takes to survive on your own for 21 days they are being duped. It is good entertainment but not something to garner strategies to use in actual real life situations. The survival skill rating system is a joke only to be used by the participants on their resumes to attract more gullible students. The episode where the producers had to intervene and remove the "man" on a stretcher for drinking contaminated water was predictable. In his opening bio, he alluded to himself "as a bit of a badass". Anyone who has the need to represent himself like that is a poser and feels the need to let everyone be aware that he's the real deal. These are the type of people that misrepresent themselves and usually fail at what they attempt, sometimes bringing other innocent people down with them. Just my 2 cents. Kodeman

Old 07-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #14

Liked 1018 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 317

I've wondered about the items they bring, do they choose from a list of pre-approved items provided by the producers or do they bring their own?

Quote:
The "only one item" is an artificial bs restiction that's hazardous to your health.
Being naked in the wilderness is also an artificial restriction, even homeless people have access to clothes. It's part of the game though, no one would watch "Clothed and well stocked".

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #15

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
....no one would watch "Clothed and well stocked".
Yes they do... It's a show called "Doomsday Preppers"...
Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I've wondered about the items they bring, do they choose from a list of pre-approved items provided by the producers or do they bring their own?...
Gotta be a list; I haven't seen one flamethrower or pump shotgun yet.

If you got to pick who went with you, I have known some hippie chicks who could make fire with very few tools, quite reliably.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5614 Times on 2777 Posts
Likes Given: 5977

I can light fires with my glasses, been there, done that, easy as long as you can get some sunshine! Seen a couple of the episodes, kinda interesting if your looking for semi-mindless entertainment, Im down with that here and there. Im not likely to have to survive in a jungle, a desert or a tropical forest living in Upstate NY but its entertaining all the same. If I did do it, it would have to be for more than a score and then I would probably choose a good axe.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5130 Times on 2925 Posts
Likes Given: 4339

A big axe. Cuts and splits. A good weapon. I can pick all the flint I need I need right off o the ground., so it's a great fore starter. I can sharpen the soft steel with a flat rock. Can use the edge for cutting like a knife.

Can build a shelter, and make spears with it.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Last edited by locutus; 07-24-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #19

Liked 841 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 511

Quote:
why not? plenty of other uses for them. One little pissant TV crew does not insurance make when in the wilds of Borneo. I"d have snuck a firestarter and a small knife into the deal, too. Just in case of dire need.
Jesus! How much stuff can you fit in your ass?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #20

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post

Jesus! How much stuff can you fit in your ass?
"Liked"......and laughing!