Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > In my survival kit.. lets add too. everyone make kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #21
jyo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

One of those tiny sewing kits they give out at hotels along with a few safety pins-more than one LED type flashlights (spare batteries)-spare set of shoe laces-Glock knife (they are cheap, but good)-whistle-a few pieces of hard candy (in a zip lock bag)-if you have room, a small plastic tarp (so you don't have to sit on wet ground, plus other uses)-oh, and some money (small bills, ones, fives, tens etc.)-cheapie plastic rain coat. Thats all for now...

Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #22

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I forgot to add clothing. A Dickies long sleeve work shirt is universal. Also some swim trunks/nylon boxers, they dry quickly & block odor from not bathing for about a week

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #23

Compact bow and arrow. This would be advantageous for two reasons. You could hunt indefinitely and retrieve/reuse your arrows. Two, it's silent. If not that, a pump pellet gun would work well for hunting small game, and you could easily tote thousands of pellets.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know someone mentioned Navigation, I'm gonna say this because I know most people underestimate the level of importance of an actual Map. I'm not talking about those cheap multi-colored pieces of crap you can pick up at wal-mart, a topo/pol map. Between basic navigational skills, awarenes of your surroundings, and a compass you can pretty much nail down your exact location on a good up to date Topographical/Political Map, atleast to within less than half a mile generally even if you're an amature. Get a sealable plastic pouch, an actual MAP pouch prefereably, something clear that you can see through it and check it often without hassle and--here is the big one, a Dry-erase marker. so you can note things on the pouch, downed trees etc as you're going then transfer that to the map with a pencil later at a rest spot. If you're staying local it's not such a big deal unless you're not like me and don't know most of the area within 50 miles or so well enough to get around without a map.

To the people suggesting putting bows/pellet guns in survival kits...really? Guns are additions not requirements. If you feel you need to carry something, screw a pellet gun or a bow and arrow, if you're not proficient with both of those BEFORE you need them they are a waste of time. If you feel it's a requirement to have a gun of some sort a Marlin Papoose that can break down into 2 pieces or (My Choice) a Marlin 795, super LIGHTWEIGHT options, both of them, especially the 795 and .22 ammo is cheap and you can kill stuff a lot easier from quite a bit further than a pellet gun and they are far more reliable and durable. I know people that carry a single shot bolt .22 because as they put it, "[you] never have to worry about jams or broken magazines, why carry something that has extra parts that can break." a pump pellet gun has rubber seals, piston, hinges, compression tube, transfer tube, and has a bunch of plastic parts on them. I take most of my stuff out and test it before it goes into a survival kit and if you spend a weekend in the woods with nothing but a pellet gun you'll find out the final reason I don't like to rely on one..It doesn't make you feel prepared or safe.

I did forget to mention something of importance. if you have the money to afford an LBE for bug-out uses specifically this is a help aswell. I wish I had the extra to do this because I setup the one I do have for it once and having magazines and front pouches added some nice storage for extras plus it evened out the weight up top a bit and seemed to make things feel easier to carry. I'm not super man or anything but a decent days hike with a 75lb bag isn't bad really as long as you are in decent shape. The key is to make sure that the 75lbs you're carrying is important stuff. If it HAS to be 75lbs then you HAVE to carry it. I've got 4 kids and if crap goes wrong and I have to get out of here with all 4 of them in tow I NEED 75lbs and then some of stuff. each of them have backpacks loaded up too, lightweight stuff in theirs ofcourse, clothes and blankets. But you figure out real quick what you HAVE to carry when you start having to prepare for multiples especially kids.

Also you mentioned Rope in your list, if this isn't Paracord you need to add some, as much as you can handle having in there. I have probably around 500' in mine because you just never know when you're going to need how much. I have another 300' in a bag inside my bag specifically for campsite construction. Why So much? Well you don't only need to build shelters you might need to build wind blocks and predator walls. I built a shelter out in the woods near my house over a year ago and it's still there, the paracord is holding up better than the branches even, could probably reuse it after the shelter collapses even.

Last edited by TacticalPrecision; 12-13-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: more additions

Old 12-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I must be getting old but Nobody ever adds a rubber lady to their bag. Rest and energy are the 2 most important needs you will have to meet. So whether your going home or bugging out you must plan on rest. My rubber ladies have gave me years of great rest. My last one has more tire patches than an old inner tube but she gives me a soft warm spot. South Vietnamese Marines valued rest above all and were some fierce fighters. They were often thought of as lazy because every time they would stop most of them would nap. Now I have taken a job 30 miles closer to home. So I only have 12 miles to walk home. My rubber lady is safely stored in a diddy bag in my truck. I won't need her if I walk but I sure enjoy her comforts if I have to stay at work. Rest well my friends.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
To the people suggesting putting bows/pellet guns in survival kits...really? Guns are additions not requirements. If you feel you need to carry something, screw a pellet gun or a bow and arrow, if you're not proficient with both of those BEFORE you need them they are a waste of time. If you feel it's a requirement to have a gun of some sort a Marlin Papoose that can break down into 2 pieces or (My Choice) a Marlin 795, super LIGHTWEIGHT options, both of them, especially the 795 and .22 ammo is cheap and you can kill stuff a lot easier from quite a bit further than a pellet gun and they are far more reliable and durable.
If you're in a situation where you need to remain hidden, a .22 is going to give your position away. Bows and pellet guns are silent. Arrows are reusable. Pellets can be hauled by the thousand and take up the same space as a handful of .22's. Not to mention they are operationally less complex, meaning they require less maintenance and can be relied upon to work under grueling conditions. You gonna swim across a river with a pocket full of .22's and expect them to work later? Don't be so quick to dismiss pellet guns. If you want to be all billy badass john rambo, go hunt your damned food with a knife. I'll take my pellet gun.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 2180

I've got to go with Tactical Presicion 100% with using a gun rather than a bow or pellet rifle. There are people that could easily survive with a bow or pellet rifle but there aren't many, especially with the bow.

A bow requires some serious skills to take game with. I had those skills at one time, but I don't now. I could get those skills back eventually, but I would probably starve to death first. And I'm not just referring to the skills needed to hit what you're shooting at. It isn't easy sneaking up on a deer, rabbit, or whatever to get in bow range. Also keep in mind that those arrows are reusable, but they're darn easy to loose after you let one fly in the woods. What do you do after you run out? Of course you could theoretically make some if you had a recurve bow, but then try killing something with a home made arrow. Try just hitting something smaller than a barn door with a home made arrow. Bows and arrows are just way beyond the skills of most people.

Most pellet guns that have enough power to be useful make enough noise that there isn't a benefit to using it. In addition, I just wouldn't trust one with my life.

Most people don't have the skills needed to survive even with a gun. I grew up in the woods hunting, fishing, and trapping. Because of that past experience I'm aware of how much I would struggle today even with a gun. It looks easy on TV, but you have to spend some serious time in the wild to even have an appreciation of how difficult it would be. Even then you would only be able to imagine how tough it would actually be. None of us have ever had to actually lived in the wild indefinitely. I think most of us, including myself, would make it a month or maybe two depending on the weather? And that's assuming you're fortunate enough to be in the wild and somewhat prepared with a gun, and not in some urban war zone.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

condoms??? Hey you never know

Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker17
condoms??? Hey you never know
Great way to store clean water when you find some too...

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual..."

--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
And that's assuming you're fortunate enough to be in the wild and somewhat prepared with a gun, and not in some urban war zone.
That's why God invented West Virginia. If the s**t hits the fan, that's where I'd go.