Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > My SHTF plan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default My SHTF plan

I really don't expect to be invaded by the Cubans or the Russians but I do hope for the best and try to plan for the worst.
My wife and I are of the age where bugging out is an impossibility so we will hunker down here. We have a bunker/root cellar where food, tools, extra fuel and a few other essential items are stored. We have land to grow food , we raise dairy goats and use all the produce from them. Meat, milk and cheese are taken care of there. I also have the high ground around here and have invited 2 other like minded families to bivouac here if the"zombies" start to roam. I have stocked up on usable weapons and ammo and recently started reloading. If things really go to hell I hope to be able to supply a few people with enough to carry on the fight or at least survive.
A few months ago I read a list of 100 essential items to have. It was very enlightening. I have stocked up on some barted material also. One friend said he has a cache of silver and gold that he can use if things get bad. He didnt have any answer tho ,when I asked him how much gold would he give for a four pack ot toilet paper after a few months of no supplies. Well good luck to all and remember " We are all in this together". (Red Green)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Bug In makes much more sense to a lot of people in a lot of situations. Left the herd thin out a bit before venturing out.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A couple of things to consider:

1. How about a back-up or emergency generator for electricity if the power goes down?

2. Do you have sensors spread out around your property to help detect intruders? Sort of like PEWS used by the military for perimeter security.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon 173 View Post
A couple of things to consider:

1. How about a back-up or emergency generator for electricity if the power goes down?

2. Do you have sensors spread out around your property to help detect intruders? Sort of like PEWS used by the military for perimeter security.
Actually I have 2 generators (one to power the well and one to power the necessary items in the house ) and storage for a couple hundred gallons of fuel. I am looking to upgrade to a small diesel powered generator tho.
If you look for a home generator , try to find a 1800 rpm model instead of the 3600 rpm. They are quieter, last longer and don't use as much fuel.
Of course you could always set up a photo voltaic system if you have the bucks.
I have photo cell powered sensors on the property too.
I highly reccomend borrowing a friends laser range finder so you can set your ranges.You would be surprised that the distance you think is 100 yards really isn't.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Take a look at a whole house backup generator that runs on LP. You can get tanks of LP gas from 5 to 5,000 gallons. The "shelf life" of regular gas, even with stablizer additives, limits it value in a long term standby situation IMO.
I would also look into an outdoor oven. A grill is nice, but you can't cook bread on a grill. The more you can do without traditional power, the longer you will have fuel and power for other things.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:35 AM   #6

Not that an outdoor oven is a bad idea, didn't walden cook bread over an open flame? Naan is another type off bread without baking... not that bread s essential anyways. I mean its nice and everything but if long term caarb storage was the primary goal, you could keep oats or even process them into granola and not be any worse off than flour. But ovens and breads are nice too.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default outdoor oven

I found a tutorial of building an adobe oven a while back online. I've been thinking of trying that ever since. A few concrete blocks, clayey soil and some portland cement with wire for strength and you have an oven that could cook anything.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its amazing what "we" (people) can invent/fabricate/do...in a crisis.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Plans?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Hmm, I saw the post and thought I'd reply! I understand your concerns about Bug out, in many cases it.s not a good idea reguardless of your age or ability? The ability to stay put, take care of yourselves and the means to do so is a great asset!

HOWEVER, some threats do make BUGOUT a better option! It has to depend on the threat and the ability of those Bugging out to have a Place to go? I'm a strong adovate of someplace else, as an opition! I like to plant CACHE's 1/2 way there and the security that that gives me? I don't have a Fnacy retreat, but a place that I can go, far removed from the others that would want to escape the problems where I now live? Again, it's all based on your threat, the ability to get to a location and something there for ya if you get there? All sounds grat to Bug out and all? What happens if and when Ya get there? Even if you get there with out injury or helath ussies then what? Pays to have a plan as through as the BUG IN plan that ya have, right? Just food for though and I respect the decision to Bug in for you and yours, I just offer a Bugout as an option? Please consider it and see what it offers you? That all I ask?

RON

Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I don't think it's a bad idea to have in mind a plan for a national crisis situation..

...but I would say that along side working to preserve your life in a STHF scenario, work to prevent that scenario.

Get more involved with the existing government. Stand up and tell the powers that be, your elected officials, that they are doing a poor job and that you are unhappy with them.

As long as we as a population are acting like cattle, we'll be treated like cattle by those with power.

I'm not saying you aren't doing these things already and that you are acting like cattle. It's just that the more I stop taking in the information that government/media wants me to take and start looking at what's going on and making up my own mind, the more I am disturbed at how bad things are really getting. And things are getting this bad because we (as a nation) are letting them.

I realize that an honest man from middle-class America has no chance of getting elected to a position in the Federal government (Senate, HoR, the White House) as it stands now. That's the first thing we need to fix. People put into power by and for big business is the single largest threat to our freedom.

I don't mean to be a Derailasourus. Please continue with the topic of discussion.