Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > My experiences with Lyme disease & related Dementia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default My experiences with Lyme disease & related Dementia

While I have no experience with Lyme disease, the title is a quote from Orangello and was too poetically perfect to not use word for word. I have, however, had debilitating dementia while in survival situations. Namely, sleep deprivation and iodine poising. And Lyme disease and other things like it are very real threats in wilderness situations. Does anybody have any experience with these things or methods for avoiding/curing them?

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #2

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

My father contracted Lyme disease back in the 90's, before it was widely recognized. Well, even today Dr's often don't pick up on it right away. I remember him being sluggish and grouchy, most likely due to him being constantly sick, for quite a while. After he was diagnosed he mentioned to me that he was always sore, tired and thirsty. He was put on some antibiotics, sorry I don't know which, for a few months as I recall. Lucky for him he made a full recover but it was something like a year long process for him.

As for avoiding it the best way I can figure is scrape your body clean after being in the brush/woods every time. Even if it means a dip in the nearest stream or pond.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8323 Times on 3599 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

sorry- career Infantryman. Dementia was our NORMAL state.........

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #4

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Career Scout here-and nothing survives when it bites us, Heaven won't take us and Hell closed its door and won't let us in.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm a cadet who just got through OCS. I put myself in 6 days of sleep deprivation for fun in my free time (hiking). I want to know how to deal with the hallucinations or dizziness or tunnel vision. Any tips for those problems or others?

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 05-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #6

If you get bit by a tick and start aching and have joint soreness within a few days a simple trip to the doc and some very cheap antibiotics will cure you. Any tick bite that doesn't heal normally needs to be addressed. You can get all types of diseases from a tick. The key is just to be aware of the bite and mention it.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero