Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > munitions shortage solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8609 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Jesse- have a sizable assortment of arms collected over the years. Thing that a lot of folks miss while chasing really high dollar scarce stuff- there are basic utility grade working man's guns out there for a few $$. The little top break single shot rifles and shotguns are CHEAP- but decent shooters. I grew up in an area where most farms had one of those- or a bolt action shotgun- sitting behind the door. Those were TOOLS- not trinkets. I still keep a few of the basic, vanilla guns around- because I picked them up at bargain basement prices (a 20 g shotgun for $20? Well, DAH-YUM!) I use them as loaner guns, give one to a grandkid, etc. Some of those rifles can have shotgun barrel added (but not vice versa)

Savage-Stevens-Springfield made a little over/under rifle/shotgun combo, which could be very handy- and I keep 22s around that are very quiet, could use for poaching if I HAD to. Everyone has different wants, needs, and circumstances. Even in a total societal collapse, ammo would still be around for a long time. Yesterday I was shooting .303 Brit ammo- made in 1941 and 42.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #12

Default Rossi

How about the Rossi Combo.. 20ga, .22 and 243. 3 barrels and only 1 gun..

Old 06-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #13

I dooubt we will run out of ammo anytime soon even if the world collapses. There are literally billions of rounds of ammo stored in homes, military bases, sporting goods and gun stores. And even if SHTF you will still have people who will know how to make money. And at that point most peopel will be more conservative with ammo. No more going out shooting targets on a whim. I have enough ammo to last me a long time. I would conserve as much as I could I would use my bow slingshot or blowgun to get game. I would use the guns if I had to go after something big mean and with teeth.
besides black powder isnt hard to make and you can make a rudimentary smooth bore rifle/musket. May not be the most accurate but someoen will be making them.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #14

Probably not in print any longer, but "Survival Guns" by Mel Tappen who used to write for Guns and Ammo, would tell you about anything you may want. Most .22 Revolvers are very versitile. My Colt Peacemaker Buntline also has a 22 Mag cylinder. Ruger makes a couple of convertables in 38 special/357 with an extra cylinder for 9mm. I have one in a 45 LC and a 45 ACP cylinder.
A Glock 22, 40 S&W with a drop in 9mm Lone Wolf barrel with a hand full of 9mm mags. A Contender with 223 Rem barrel and an insert that allows 22LR to be fired in that barrel, a 30-30 barrel, and a 45 LC/ .410 3 inch with an external screw on choke. As far as a rifle, a Savage 24 D over and under .22LR/410. A separate barrel that fires 357 mag./38 Special ( this one needs a higher front sight as it places the impact high, with the rear sight at the lowest setting. So you can see there are many possibilities for muticalibers with a single firearm. It kind of depends on needs and what you deem that you want to use. I also make it a practice if having a large amount of stored ammo, and your principle firearm or battle rifle is semi auto, to have a back up bolt or single shot firearm should the semi auto break or go down. In fact in 7.62 X 51 or .308 Win, I have a match Garand, a Winchester Model 100, Savage 99, and a bolt action Remington 788. There are all kinds of combinations. One rifle with a broken firing pin or an extractor will ruin your day if it is your only rifle and you don't have parts or a gun smith handy.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you really don't want to have to worry about ammo then go the bow and arrow route....

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #16

I have thought of it as an option. The only downside is limited distance, arrows break and get lost making a bow without arrows like a firearm without ammo. A higher level of skills and physical ability for it's operation vs a firearm. I'm sure one could learn to maintain the equipment such as repairing and making arrows, bow string replacement' and other needed repairs.

Other than rimfires, most ammo can be reloaded many times. Sometimes a problem finding fired cases when using semi automatics. Somehow I feel this would be a better solution than learning a new skill that also has limitations of physical abilities along with limited range, and I keep remembering of a saying, " Never take a knife to a gun fight"

Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #17

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Because of the need for versatility one gun won't do it.

My needs will be satisfied with the following;

• 22LR rifle
  • 22LR pistol
  • 9mm pistol
  • 12g shotgun

That arsenal would let me sleep well at night.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #18

I have 2 blackhawks,that are muti cal.One is a 357 with a 9mm cyl,and the other is 45 long colt with an ACP cyl.Of course the 357 will also shoot 38sp's.There are also sleevs for rifles and shot guns that let you single shot multi cal's.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #19

I have one of those 45 LC/45 ACP convertibles, also a 44 Mag, and a three screw 357 Mag. Also for semi auto fans, a Glock 22 in 40 S&W cal A handful of 9 mm magazines and a drop in Lone Wolf barrel, makes it good to go for a caliber swap from 40 to 9MM.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I will agree with the line of thinking of one weapon and alternatives for barrels or cylinders. Revolvers have been doing it for many years and there are some semis that you can drop in a .40 or 357 Sig and use the same mags.
I really don't think that ammo will be that hard to find any time soon after some bad thing happened though. If this was something that bothered me I would work more along the lines of storage of ammo than the ability to shoot what I come across. Some types of ammo are more prolific than others true. But I don't think even if it all went nuts this morning that rounds like 38, 357, 9mm, 40, 45ACP would bv hard to find for some time to come.THere's literally tons of it everywhere. It might be a good idea to be able to use something besides a firearm to stretch things. But I just can't see it all being gone. Even if by some strange happening all the ammo companies blew up there's tons of hand rolling equipment.

So have a couple calibers that you use well and stock up. You never know I guess and anyway it keeps the neighbors from talking about the Mrs when they hear it's you that has an ammo depot on hand. Lots of us here keep a pretty good supply on hand for a myriad of reasons. It's not uncommon to see someone buya bunch of one thing or another to get a good price. Be it laundry soap or...a but load of ammo!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson