MRE's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > MRE's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default MRE's

I've been looking into getting some MRE's and other emergency food supply kits but am inundated with information. Anyone have a great place that's also inexpensive to get this type of food? As far as I can tell, a typical MRE is going for about $5.50 per meal. I've also seen big buckets of prepacked dry food you add water to, each bucket contains 275 meals. Those can be had for around $110 per bucket.

Help. Please.

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #2

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

start by buying a 10 lbs bag of rice and a 10 lbs of beans and stock up on canned food its alot cheaper and you can eat it as the years pass and replace as you go,its cheaper then trying to buy enough mres for your whole family.just my opionion..

Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #3

How long do canned goods really last? I've heard only a year, is that true?

12FRETTER

Old 07-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #4

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

id research that but ive heard at least a couple years plus if you get into canning as kids my parents did alot of canning, im going to get jars and a good pot to start canning this winter after harvest,and hopefully a good fishing season.

i did a little research and its says two years is good after two years the product might lose textuer or color but should still be good if the can still has vacuum pressure when opened,also if the can is not bulged or damaged.you should keep your cans in cool dry conditions but also the good things about canned you can eat and replace for very cheap.

Last edited by rifleman1; 07-01-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
start by buying a 10 lbs bag of rice and a 10 lbs of beans and stock up on canned food its alot cheaper and you can eat it as the years pass and replace as you go,its cheaper then trying to buy enough mres for your whole family.just my opionion..
+1

rice and beans (dried variety) is the best easiest to transport ohsht food you can get. ive got 500lbs of rice and beans sealed away in food saver bags. MUCH easier to transport than the equivelent value of mre and will outlast mre's vaccuum sealed by centuries.

in a barter situation rice and beans are easier to trade than mre better food value and more uses. can make alcohol with rice.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #6

Many thanks. That saves a lot of money and time, and aggravation. Now I can spend that time and money on more ammo.

12FRETTER

Old 07-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

one other thing, mre arent meant to be a sustained survival food just as a stop gap for a week or two before real food can be obtained. mre do real bad things to your innards mainly by way of severe constipation which can be fatal if used as long term sustenance. if your forced to survive on them for long periods and you stop going poo on a regular basis you need to seek medical help and advice

they arent bad when used as a supplement but shouldnt be your sole source of food

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...