MRE"s need help ?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > MRE"s need help ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default MRE's

I have usually found the inspection date on the box. As someone else said it all depends when they were mfg'd and how they have been stored. Take out on meal and if its not bloated it may be fine. I have eaten the secondary items like applesauce, pound cakes out of MRE's that were over 5 yrs old.

However, if you are not sure of the mfg date I would simply take out the accessories and chunk the main entree. One trip to the ER is more than a new case of MRE's.

"Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war"

Old 08-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have never had the privilege of tasting the MRE, the first part of my service in the early 60's was the old WW11 3 meal canned rations, still remember the meat & potatoes and eating them where you could not heat them, that cold chunky grease just slid down with out chewing, and the meat was dark red horse meat.I guess the Military finally ran out and the new one meal packs came out,tey were a whole lot better.

I liked the frankfurters & beans, they also had beans & frankfurters, the difference was with one, you 2 frankfurters and the other only had one.I never ran into any of the canned ones that were bad, just thought that the MRE was the same way.I remember when they first came out, the Congress were all eating them and saying how good they ate, and I thought, yea, try eating 24/7 and see what you think.

I thought the MRE's were vacuum packed, so would not go bad.Are ther old style/new style MRE's now? And are they fairly good rats?

Layton

Old 08-16-2009, 02:57 AM   #13

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
I thought the MRE's were vacuum packed, so would not go bad.Are ther old style/new style MRE's now? And are they fairly good rats?

Layton
I have no big complaint about them but I haven't had to eat them for long spans of time.

Every couple years now they re-evaluate the menu and come out with new menu items to replace the unpopular/disgusting ones. So they are pretty much constantly changing.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 08-16-2009, 03:11 AM   #14

Default Some are quite good

I bought some emergency rations from costoco last year that were mfg'd by one of the gov't MRE makers. They were great, and the recent ones I have tried are a good meal.

The key is finding the correct mfg'ers and buying the public versions. The ones with the heaters built in are nice to use.

I have switched to freeze dried meals but will be picking up one case of MREs in the near future. The new ones are a huge improvement.

"Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war"