MRE"s need help ??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > MRE"s need help ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default MRE"s need help ??

I have a couple of cases of MRE's that were producted by Mil-spec's for DoD
The company that I work for is a defense contractor and they were going to discard this 10 cases of MRE's because they were expired.
My question is: the mre's do not have any markings on them that states a date of expired on them. There is no expired date on the outer box nor on the mre's itself. They are in indivdually wrapped thick plactic bags and are air tight. They are not leaking & are very good conditon.
Would you use them to put in your BOB if the SHTF ????

Thanks,

gunpacker

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

First off, welcome to the FTF community. Head over to the New Member section and introduce yourself to the folks.

Secondly, if there's no date, how are they expired? I'd think there has to be some kind of date code somewhere.

MRE's are after my time.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-27-2009, 02:31 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've never seen MRE's without an expiration date...you sure there's no date code? Open one up and check the can of meat - any rust or corrosion? I would keep them for emergency use...or pass them out to your friends...if after a few weeks you don't have any friends left...well, you'll know they were no good...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If they are expired I'd open them up and pull out the non perishables and repack them with stuff from the semi-MRE thread that's buried somewhere.

If they are still good, keep them cool and they'll last longer (obviously)

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 07-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

MRE's can go bad but if stored properly they will last for years. Cool, dry, constant temps and they're happy. Also, there should be a date somewhere, the military dates everything!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are referring to the new MRE's in the light tan packaging with the ration heaters in them, right? I have a few of them and there are no dates on the outside packaging. On the ones I have anyway. They just say what they are etc on the packaging........For example, the one I am looking at says just menu#10....chile and macaroni....meal-ready-to-eat....Ameriqual Packaging, Evansville, In 47710.....US Gov Property....Commercial Resale is Unlawful.....etc. There is not a date anywhere. I don't know why there is no date because the military dates everything in my experience. Perhaps the dates were on the cases they origionally came in, which I don't have. I think they came 12 in a case.

If it's the older type of MRE's in the OD pouches, I don't have any of those currently. I know the old "C-Rats" (the OD cans) had dates. The old "K-Rats"...I don't remember.

If stored at normal room temp, they should last a long time I would think.

OC

"magbum"

Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #7

That's funny. We just broke open a 15 year old pack here at my house. Everything was fine (not to be confused with tasty).

GatorswithGuns

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth. - George Washington

Last edited by GatorswithGuns; 07-29-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #8

I'm willing to bet they were tasty. Just not good tasty.
Tom

Old 07-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trautert View Post
I'm willing to bet they were tasty. Just not good tasty.
Tom
The newer MRE's are much better than the older ones which were not good at all in my opinion. Not exactly 5 star cuisine but only "tasty as in edible." They are a complete hot meal in minutes, and are easy to pack as they don't weigh anything or take up much space. I use them on runs and when I am in the boonies. If there is another alternative they usually come back home unopened, so they are my back-up.

OC

"magbum"

Old 08-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Im my opinion, a BOB is packed with minimal survival needs in mind. When it comes to weight and size issues, I only use US Coastguard "style" coconut food bricks for a BOB. They are small, light and are not thirst provoking.