MRE Lifespan
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > MRE Lifespan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default MRE Lifespan

Does anyone have some good links to MRE date codes and real world experiences with shelf life?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Mre Lifespan?

Hello all

RON L here + SERESURPLUS

I don't have the date codes for MRE's, But I can tell you from years of using them, you can get 5-10 years max out of them, as long as they were stored COOl, DRY, PLACE! Thumb Rule is Lighter tan brown package, New stuff less than 10 years, the older dark Brown more than 10 years! Gotta watch the legality of buying the Newer Light Brown packaged ones they are marked US GOV Property, NOT FOR RE-SALE! If your buying for your own use they usually are not all that hard on it, If you sell them, it's a nightmere! Folks have been arrested and stocks of them taken! Pays to look what your doing on those! Look for th markings and let your concience be your guide?

RON L

Old 07-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #3

I'm eating my way through my stock of old MREs (dark brown wrapped).

So far no ill effects except bad flavor.

Crackers and desserts are as good as they ever were. Eggs are gross and taste tin like but don't seem to make me or my dogs sick.

These have all been kept in my base,ment at 50-70 degrees dry and out of sunlight for a decade or more.

Last one I ate was a minimum of 12 years ld, but probably at leats 15 years old. If it doesn't smell or look right don't eat it. If the pacakge is not air tight (both outer and inner shell) don't eat it. Use caution and common sense. If you get sick, don't blame me. Don't eat anything that you have no knowledge of storage qulaity.

Last edited by groovy mike; 07-07-2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: added disclaimer

Old 07-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #4

Unless very hungry, they are bad from day one!

MY DOG IS SMARTER THAN MOST POLITICIANS