Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   The Moving Company and My Preps (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/moving-company-my-preps-72948/)

CA357 09-22-2012 01:27 AM

The Moving Company and My Preps

So, I've had four bids from moving companies to finally move us out of California and up to our new place in Oregon.
Three of the salesmen/estimators said nothing about my surfeit of prep goods. They were either very good at hiding their thoughts or so hungry for a commission that they were oblivious.

The fourth guy walked into the basement, saw the all the five gallon buckets, water barrels etc, and said: "So you're a prepper huh? Me too." He represents a national moving company and his price was $1,000. less than the others cheapest bid. We talked some politics and guns too. He got the job.

Now, the movers get to see all this stuff too. I don't like anyone to know about this stuff, but under the circumstances, I don't see any way around it. I now just have about a million things labeled "Pantry". :p

canebrake 09-22-2012 02:35 AM

Chances are they will forget where you live a week after they make the delivery.

If not, have a superior line of fire.

Once you get out to the new place you're going to need to get a big dog. One that barks at any atypical behavior.

CA357 09-22-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 950236)
Chances are they will forget where you live a week after they make the delivery.

If not, have a superior line of fire.

Once you get out to the new place you're going to need to get a big dog. One that barks at any atypical behavior.

Number One on the dog. After we're settled in, a trip to the pound will be in order. The cats are gonna' be pissed. :p

Gonzilla 09-22-2012 04:05 AM

Will be a fun night at your place when you bring the dog home.:D

Really want to make the cats day ? Buy a Jack Russel Terrier... Good times ! ;)

shadamai 09-22-2012 12:38 PM

Congrats on your escape...;)

dragunovsks 09-22-2012 12:46 PM

If it was me is rent a truck, load all my prepping stuff in that truck and follow the moving company truck to my new place then unload "my" truck last after everyone else has left.

But moving for me would also involve renting more than one truck, a trailer, a tow dolly or making multiple trips.

winds-of-change 09-22-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 950296)
Number One on the dog. After we're settled in, a trip to the pound will be in order. The cats are gonna' be pissed. :p

Sometimes the shelter will know the dog has previously lived harmoniously with cats. See if you can find a dog like that.

rocshaman 09-23-2012 11:41 AM

Chance are those guys don't live in the part of Oregon you're moving to, right? So if the shtf those guys most likely are going to have concerns to deal with where they live and most likely won't want to make the trek to where you're at. Unless of course you're worried about them yacking about it to everyone they meet, or breaking in and stealing stuff. I'm assuming they come from where you're at now, is that right?

CA357 09-23-2012 03:52 PM

I don't know where the crew will come from. I don't like the idea of others knowing what we have. I'm not going to be paranoid about it, but it's definitely an uncomfortable feeling.

hiwall 09-23-2012 04:03 PM

When I moved there was many many very heavy boxes that said "machine shop parts".:)