Moving to Alaska - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Moving to Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Puh-leeze reaper, I've got my own lady, but even if I didn't, soldiers and fly boys aren't what I'd call "stiff competition" for a Marine

They might be stiff, but they ain't competition!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #22

But hey, on a more serious note, do the jobs pay well enough to keep up with living?

That's a problem I've run into in my area, many people don't want to pay more than minimum wage for a skilled labor position, year before last, I had to keep 3 jobs in addition to my wife's job just to make ends meet

Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #23

Liked 1166 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Puh-leeze reaper, I've got my own lady, but even if I didn't, soldiers and fly boys aren't what I'd call "stiff competition" for a Marine

They might be stiff, but they ain't competition!

Your right, we have standards and Marines lack them. Therefore no competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
But hey, on a more serious note, do the jobs pay well enough to keep up with living?

That's a problem I've run into in my area, many people don't want to pay more than minimum wage for a skilled labor position, year before last, I had to keep 3 jobs in addition to my wife's job just to make ends meet
In my experience (8 years ago) yes and no. If you are a skilled mechanic or have the skills to work in the oil industry then hell yes you can find good paying work that will more than make up for the cost of living. If you are looking for a job in retail or sales then it's probably a mistake to move there.

I would not seriously consider a move to central AK unless you have spent a couple weeks there visiting and that includes one in the summer and one in the winter.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 12-28-2011 at 02:31 AM.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus

Your right, we have standards and Marines lack them. Therefore no competition.
That's cold! Ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus
In my experience (8 years ago) yes and no. If you are a skilled mechanic or have the skills to work in the oil industry then hell yes you can find good paying work that will more than make up for the cost of living. If you are looking for a job in retail or sales then it's probably a mistake to move there.

I would not seriously consider a move to central AK unless you have spent a couple weeks there visiting and that includes one in the summer and one in the winter.
I'm looking at fish and wildlife, its what I'm going to school for, and I've got a lead on an internship up there in fairbanks.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #25

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Great just what this world needs another Marine

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member

Old 01-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #26

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Alaska and work

Working for the Feds these days with budget cuts, lots of Wildlife refuges are tightening belts and looking at ways to cut back to strech ther budgets.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Fairbanks.html

USAJOBS - The Federal Government’s Official Jobs Site

Workplace Alaska-SOAcss: 1HomePage

some of what you might expect if not living in FAI
Moving to Kotzebue - Sample Expenses

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 01-01-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #27

I grew up in southeast Alaska and would go there If it all goes to hell. Isolated, the only way in or out is boat or plane. High mountains to keep watch and all the fresh water and food you want year round. People are friendly but don't try nothing slick cause they ain't stupid. You'll end up as crab bait

Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #28

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Marines-Fresh out the military oven or the aged ones?

When I attended aviation maintenance school, there were 4 in my class on the GI bill, some so recent they still had the Gov issue haircut, The Army chopper mechanic was like a normal guy as well as the tanker, the Lifer Navy Chief was a insuffrable old curmudgion, and the Marine....... Lets just say this guy was the prime example of Jar Reen, God he was tons of fun to mess with, after 13mos he finally chilled out enuf to be fun around, Since then Ive met mainly old marines and they pretty much are just folks, one a retired cop and one a registerd sex offender. People is people.