Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Moving to Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Reverse Income Tax- they pay you. $1,174 for 2011. No sales tax from state (some cities have one) and no personal income tax. Called Personal Dividend Fund.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #12

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Living in Alaska

Ive been state for a bit, the only thing cheap in Alaska is talk.
I came to work in the arctic with no expectations, so far Ive never been disappointed.
Be prepaird to deal with strange people, long winters, harsh weather'
http://youtu.be/0_50yeUtwggDont be too surprised to see stuff that'd get you arrested or ticketd down states happening right in front of you, the aroma of pot waifting out some old grannies home is quite common, teenagers on a 4 wheeler pulling a wheelie in the parking lot of the Alaska Commercial Company is also normal, you might as well decide right now that the Alaskan driving experence is 100% defensive driving, be prepaired at all times.
Water Trucks delivering water in (1989 Barrow water was $.39/gal deliverd), Honey Buckets and bagging your own waste? you bethttp://youtu.be/3jiY1pdmKAA
http://youtu.be/Kfhd-tnY3YM
its normal in areas outside of urban centers for childern to in streets, toddlers will be playing with ther Tonka trucks right on a State maintained road.
Keep in mind that cute little native chick at the bar giving you the com-on eye's, You may just might want to steer clear of.
http://youtu.be/MhPJHsFLB6ghttp://youtu.be/wmDlbjqUVwwPublic Access - General Index Search
Great odds she's had run-in's with the law since middle school and has 3-4 kids living at grandmas, your fresh meat (like chum in shark infested waters) the new Sugar Daddy ticket out of where she is.
we have a high per capata of domestic violence, (female on male is violence quite prevalant)
says today theres 39 registerd sex offenders/ kidnappers in my town of 3400today.
Search
lands are either public and ministerd by BLM/National Park Service/US Fish & Wildlife Service, State Land's
or its privately ownd allotments and Native Corporation Lands
all them you should get permission to use or buy a use permit, some native Corporations will lease camp land to you for soft (No trace when done)
any place you can find good or bad if your looking(dont turn blind eye either)
Off road system travel is by Air, Land or Sea, winter travel is by sno-go reguardless of what the fair weather poster before said, somtines you have to ride staked trail for 3 hours at -27F wind in your face if you want to travel.
Rural Alaska blog: The Village | adn.com
Tundratantrum
http://youtu.be/3WsD67hi2dU

sound7386.jpg   spendy-20milk-20two_preview.jpg   photo0714a.jpg   photo0304a.jpg  

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 12-08-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #13

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Been all over Alaska...from Nome to Kodiak Island. Beautiful, expensive and many odd ducks live there. Many mainstream folks as well. Everyone has a gun...so bring yours. Watch 'Alaska State Troopers'...I think it accurately portrays Alaska...lot's of drinking, drugs and wild kids. But don't let that discourage you. It's a big place and you'll find your corner

Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #14

Default Ice Road driving music

Bethel musican Michael Faubian with one his zingers
Kuskokwim Ice Road - Bethel to Akiak, Alaska 2010.mp4 - YouTube
Bad Ass Bethel Rig
The Bethel Cab Driver

Bethel's Peter Twichell
The Tundra shack
The Goosers

another Alaskan musican
Mark Brown's : Girl from Yakutat

Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #15

I sampled Mark Brown here;Marc Brown & the Blues Crew | Long Time Coming | CD Baby I dig him! My kind of music...jazzy blues.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor View Post
Hey everyone, I am considering moving to fairbanks or anchorage. Are there any natives or pdople who have lived there for a while that could inform me on anything.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.
Don't forget to take that Sarah Palin native with ya`!

Old 12-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Don't forget to take that Sarah Palin native with ya`!
hey..cut her some slack.. she's a hottie

Last edited by Sonic82; 12-10-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #18

Default SP and the Alaskan experence

Sarah is a nice lady, was a good mayor, when it came time to hit the poll booth I didnt choose her, I didnt think she had the experence and back ground to bring on her A game, Her first trem as Gov fizzled, I was disappointed she couldent even finish the term, allot of Alaskans felt she just bailed on us (check ADN blogs).

Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #19
jyo

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My friends who live in Alaska all seem to have two or more jobs each year because of the changing seasons---some stay only in spring, summer and fall then come south for the winter. Anchorage is the big city for those who must live in the big city---just not that big. Homer is called the "Banana Belt" because of the somewhat warmer weather. Fairbanks is really pretty small and VERY cold in the winter. Finially, you have the southern cities and capitol---reached pretty much by ship---most are just towns rather than cities. Alaska can be an adventure---oh, and bring your own girl---you won't see too many single ladies...

Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #20

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I am stationed out of Ft Wainwright (aka Fairbanks) since 2009 so I guess I can put in my two cents. Gas is expensive, so is milk and fresh produce. Gun Laws are amazing, and last I checked you do not need a permit to concealed carry. Fairbanks has a better hospital than the Army base. If you are interested in sports there is an Arena Football League team in both Anchorage and Fairbanks, but the big sport up here is hockey. University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF) mens hockey was in the top ten for college hockey last year. Hope you already have a wife/GF because not a lot of single women plus Army and Air Force Base close by = stiff competition. The summers are freakin awesome, the winters are freakin horrible. IF YOU RENT A HOUSE/APARTMENT UP HERE MAKE SURE YOUR LANDLORD PAYS FOR HEATING OIL!!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough...the stuff gets really pricey in the winter especially!!!! Both Fairbanks and Anchorages Army Brigades are deployed right now, but Fairbanks is due back after break-up. Bring your own truck and your own gun cause prices on those can be expensive especially since an entire Brigade of the 25th ID is due back from Afghanistan and the dealerships and stores are going to raise their prices to try and get some of that deployment money. I like it in Alaska and Fairbanks is just the right size for me and the family. Hope this helps you make your decision.

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member