Moving to Alaska
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Moving to Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Default Moving to Alaska

Hey everyone, I am considering moving to fairbanks or anchorage. Are there any natives or pdople who have lived there for a while that could inform me on anything.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm subscribing because I'm trying to get an internship in fairbanks, I wanna hear what people have to say about it too.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I lived in Fairbanks, AK (North Pole, AK actually) for 2 years from 2002-2004. What do you want to know?

It's hot in the summer, like low 90's, it's cold in the winter, like -40f is not uncommon. It's daylight 18 hours a day or more for about 4 months of the year, night for about 18 hours a day for another 4 months and the other 4 are pretty normal.

They have big box stores like Home Depot and Wal Mart moved in while I was there as well as Sam's Club. The weirdest thing about Fairbanks is that other than a few suburbs along the highway to Eielson AFB you go from Downtown to wilderness with only a few houses. There are few feeder towns that support Fairbanks at least nothing like Maryland which is pretty much one big suburb with some farm land.

Food is rather expensive, especiallly fresh stuff like Milk. If you can get on the military base you can save a lot on food at the commissary.

The local people are hit or miss like everywhere else but your neighbors are likely to be friendly. If your power goes out or you have a problem and it's -20f for a week straight you rely on your neighbors for help, I think everyone realizes this and people are a bit more respectful to their neighbors because of it. You'll need to get a battery blanket or oil pan heating pad for your car, don't go crazy and get 10 different heaters on every part and another one inside your car.

Gun laws are awesome. Don't be stupid and your pretty much legal (I'm no lawyer check for yourself don't take my word for it).

If your a single guy, I hope you have some charm and looks because your going to have competition. If your a single girl you can be picky.

Last and not least they call them Snow machines NOT Snowmobiles. When you go to buy one do not make this mistake or they will try to charge you more. Also, don't get a snow machine, get a 4 wheller they have a much larger window to use them. Snow machines suck when it's below 0 outside it's just painful to ride at those temperatures.

Anchroage is warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer and has more commercial places like restaurants. Cost of living might be higher but other than that I think it's a nicer town. You are still only 20 minutes from wilderness and isolation if you want to be.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Don't know about alpha but that's about what I was looking for. How about jobs? I realize you left prior to 2008, but do you by any chance stay in contact with folks up there, or otherwise know what the work situation is? I'm majoring in forestry, looking for a job in the wildlife conservation field, and the internship I'm looking at is studying migratory water fowl.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

ii have a friend up there but i dont often get to chat with him. and most of what is said is hunting related..i believe you can take up to five caribou a season if your a resident .. lol. from what im reading i wish i was single and livin up there. hehehe

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #6

I am intrested in becomming an alaskan state trooper. I love the cold weather and scenery. I know that domestic violence, weed, alcohol and sexual assaults are common down there. What are some othe common issues?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor View Post
Hey everyone, I am considering moving to fairbanks or anchorage. Are there any natives or pdople who have lived there for a while that could inform me on anything.

One of the members here is from Wasilla...can't be all that different.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8840 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Lived in Fairbanks for a couple of years, was in Juneau last Jan. Anchorage is a good sized city, 292,000. Fairbanks is a good sized town- 32,000. Anchorage gets cold in the winter- like really bad Chicago cold. Fairbanks gets COLD- like "RU freaking JOKING?!?!" Cost of living is high in Anchorage, really high in Fairbanks. Figure about 30-45% higher than, say, Phoenix AZ.

Besides cold, the truly radical changes in length of day affect some people more than others. No, is not 6 months of night- but in winter days get shorter and shorter until about early December, and pretty much comes back mid Jan. In Summer, days get longer until night pretty much goes away in June.

Yes, there are jobs, yes, economy fairly good. Do you know about Alaska income tax?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Lived in Fairbanks for a couple of years, was in Juneau last Jan. Anchorage is a good sized city, 292,000. Fairbanks is a good sized town- 32,000. Anchorage gets cold in the winter- like really bad Chicago cold. Fairbanks gets COLD- like "RU freaking JOKING?!?!" Cost of living is high in Anchorage, really high in Fairbanks. Figure about 30-45% higher than, say, Phoenix AZ.

Besides cold, the truly radical changes in length of day affect some people more than others. No, is not 6 months of night- but in winter days get shorter and shorter until about early December, and pretty much comes back mid Jan. In Summer, days get longer until night pretty much goes away in June.

Yes, there are jobs, yes, economy fairly good. Do you know about Alaska income tax?
No Im unaware of the tax. I know theres a dividend.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Don't know about alpha but that's about what I was looking for. How about jobs? I realize you left prior to 2008, but do you by any chance stay in contact with folks up there, or otherwise know what the work situation is? I'm majoring in forestry, looking for a job in the wildlife conservation field, and the internship I'm looking at is studying migratory water fowl.
I remember seeing some job announcements for FWS in Alaska There may also be some available in the Forest Service, or State Wildlife Parks. The National Wildlife Refuge System is a good place for research work. FWS also has a Migratory Bird Division. you could probably access them through USAJOBS - The Federal Government’s Official Jobs Site

Prescribed Fire is Mother Nature's plastic surgeon.