Movie - Defiance

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Movie - Defiance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Movie - Defiance

I just rented the movie "Defiance" concerning the efforts by Jews in Bellorussia to survive the Nazi invasion. It was based on a true story.

It is in essence a SHTF scenario.

Yes, I do realize it is a movie and cannot be 100% accurate but I did find it a bit intriguing.

The interesting aspects to me were:

1. Stuff happens faster than you are ready for.

2. Not everyone around you can be trusted. There are always collaborators who seek profit or power from the situation at hand. There will also be people who seek the security of slavery over the risk of freedom.

3. People will flock together in a crisis. The concept of a lone survivor may not be real.

4. You cannot win a conflict easily and painlessly when facing an armed aggressor.

5. Food and shelter counts for a lot and it helps to be armed too.

Anyway, I did not find a prior thread on this and thought it may be of interest.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #2

You forgot to mention that it was a pretty good movie too! You're right though, you can prepare all you like but unless you are prepacked and mobile, your plans might be all but useless.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #3

Just watched this movie on a long flight to China this week. Very good movie, and as Nomad said some interesting lessons about how people behave under severe stress. Recommended watching.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 06-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #4

Liked 113 Times on 81 Posts

Default Watched it last night.

I guess having enough folks to keep watch is good, the bad part is you dont starve alone, in this day and age ther arnt as many horses as ther were in them day's so youd have to eat somthing else, cacheing food and ammo and weapons away from where you live is good Idea, the bad guy's come rolling in and Bam! ya gotta leave with the shirt on yer back!
The root cellar and excavated barn cellar were good ideas, problem is today nobody stacks hay like that any more or has plank floors or diryt floors, they use cement and plywood and use Big round bales, them days the land was sparesly populated in ther rugged area, they knew the lay of the land because theyd been on the lam before a couple advantages most folks dont have today.

Made for a good movie, the use of infa red monitors and helocopters complicates things, the ability to hide from survalance would be harder as that many people would beat a obviouse plane path through any area.