Mountain House Foods, good or bad? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Mountain House Foods, good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well, this is going to into a BOB, so I'm only planning on minimal food rats. I've been working on refining my BOB for several years. I've never weighed it, but it's really pretty light.

Sooner or later, a pistol and ammunition has to go in there and that will bump the weight for carry, but just until the pistol goes in the holster and the mags go on my belt. The weight will still be there, but it will be distributed differently.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #22

Liked 329 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Don, I'll bring you a packet of the Starbucks VIA coffee tomorrow that you can have to try out.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:56 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay. I bought some individual packets of Tasters Choice on sale a couple of days ago, but I haven't tried it yet.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #24

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Glad to see that your looking at weight CA. In my pack for backpacking I count gear and food weight by the ounces. I try to keep my pack weight to under 50 lbs. if I can.
Nice. Me too. I remove tags and cut straps.

By removing the Mountain House packaging and re-sealing with my Foodsaver, the food can be packed into about 1/5 the space of the factory packaging.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I could probably just use Top Ramen and use a canteen cup to save space since I keep a canteen or two around. The drawback is making sure there's enough water to clean out the cup after using it.

Decisions, decisions. Well, this is the time to figure it out, not later.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:10 AM   #26

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I checked out that website & apparently the common man is smarter than I had imagined, everything seems to be sold out!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
I checked out that website & apparently the common man is smarter than I had imagined, everything seems to be sold out!
REI seems to have it is stock.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #28

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
REI seems to have it is stock.
Thanks for the info

Old 03-06-2011, 05:30 AM   #29
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2020 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 4297

Default #10 Cans Update

This is not good! I checked the site out for availability, no much for the good taste!

Mountain House: Freeze Dried Food, Food Storage, Camping Food, Backpacking Food, Emergency Preparedness.

Dear Valued Customers:
As you know we have removed #10 cans from our website temporarily. The reason for this is sales of #10 cans have continued to increase. OFD is allocating as much production capacity as possible to this market segment, but we must maintain capacity for our other market segments as well.

Currently we are able to meet demand for Mountain House pouches and most of these products are still available for purchase on our website. We do have a small number of dealers that we will continue to make and ship #10 cans to and you will need to contact them directly to place an order. For a list of dealers, please contact us at MH-Info@ofd.com

We want to clarify inaccurate information that is being said on the internet, news and radio. This situation is not due to sales to the government domestically or internationally. We do sell products to this market, but we also sell other market segments, including Ingredient and Private Brand markets. The reason for this decision is solely due to an unexpected sales spike in #10 cans sales.

We expect this situation to be necessary for several months although this isn’t a guarantee. We will update this information as soon as we know more. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We sincerely hope you will continue to be Mountain House customers in the future.

Oregon Freeze Dry

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 03-06-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
This is not good! I checked the site out for availability, no much for the good taste!

Mountain House: Freeze Dried Food, Food Storage, Camping Food, Backpacking Food, Emergency Preparedness.

Dear Valued Customers:
As you know we have removed #10 cans from our website temporarily. The reason for this is sales of #10 cans have continued to increase. OFD is allocating as much production capacity as possible to this market segment, but we must maintain capacity for our other market segments as well.

Currently we are able to meet demand for Mountain House pouches and most of these products are still available for purchase on our website. We do have a small number of dealers that we will continue to make and ship #10 cans to and you will need to contact them directly to place an order. For a list of dealers, please contact us at MH-Info@ofd.com

We want to clarify inaccurate information that is being said on the internet, news and radio. This situation is not due to sales to the government domestically or internationally. We do sell products to this market, but we also sell other market segments, including Ingredient and Private Brand markets. The reason for this decision is solely due to an unexpected sales spike in #10 cans sales.

We expect this situation to be necessary for several months although this isn’t a guarantee. We will update this information as soon as we know more. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We sincerely hope you will continue to be Mountain House customers in the future.

Oregon Freeze Dry
If your a trecking backpacker this is not an issue. We don't fool around with #10 cans as it is too much weight and volume to pack.