Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Mountain House Foods, good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Of the commercially available dehydrated food, Mountain House is the best tasting. I have a large stockpile of it set aside, and use it for all of our backpacking trips.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Your all Forgtting the main thing?

Hello all, RON L here'

I have tried Mountain House and several selections, Wal-Mart had of them, I liked them and stocked up on the ones I like but they do Cost a bit they are not perfect and folks if ua stock it, ya better make sure ya like it, especialy a that cost? LOL Just a Thought?

RON

Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1714 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 1960

Default Food for thought..........

I've got a few qts. of purple hull peas that were canned in 1986 that you can try. The pickles from 1980 didn't pass the taste test. I tried all the mre's and only 2 or 3 were really good. My neighbor still has three cases left over from hurricane Katrina, and those were at the 5 yr. mark. We plan on canning every thing from the garden this year. P S I saved all the heaters from the mre's. Just in case all else fails.......... Good luck.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

c3 suggested recreating the C rat, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm working out what to pack right now. They will definitely have coffee as well.

Then I'll vacuum seal several and throw 'em in my BOB. I'll post info and pics when I've got it figured out.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #15

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

As for coffee you can get those freeze dried single serving coffee packs made by Starbucks at REI and I've even seen them in most grocery stores as well. It comes in several flavors and is pretty damn good.

http://www.rei.com/product/798950

Last edited by mrm14; 02-10-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
As for coffee you can get those freeze dried single serving coffee packs made by Starbucks at REI and I've even seen them in most grocery stores as well. It comes in several flavors and is pretty damn good.

Starbucks VIA Ready Brew Instant Coffee - Package of 3 at REI.com
Folgers makes one that is pretty tasty. We use them backpacking and in hunting camp.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks. I was thinking about the Starbucks VIA instant coffee, but I'm going to look at other brands as well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-12-2011, 03:51 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have lived on Mt House for a week or two at a time. It's ok. I use Folgers instant in hunting camp where I don't want to invest time and fuel in making real coffee. It too is ok. I got a rally cool little titanium alcohol stove at REI. It cost too much ($30) but a quart of 90% rubbing alcohol is about $2 at walmart, will boil a lot of water.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm working on it. I have some stuff, but I want to refine it a bit more before I put it together.

I have those small Bumble Bee Chicken Salad & Crackers units and two types of Nature Valley Trail Bars. I want to add fruit of some sort, raisins or maybe one of those individual servings of peaces/pineapple or something like that.

I'll also vacuum seal a napkin and a plastic spoon into each one. Weight is a consideration, and I'm trying to factor that in.

So, to keep weight down. I'm also thinking of adding a Cup of Soup. The type that comes in its own sealed serving cup. You just heat water, pour it in, close the lid and in three minutes, you have a noodle/ramen type soup.

What do you think?

Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #20

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Glad to see that your looking at weight CA. In my pack for backpacking I count gear and food weight by the ounces. I try to keep my pack weight to under 50 lbs. if I can.