You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Mountain House Foods, good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1177 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Mountain House Foods, good or bad?

I'm kind of old, so when I was in the service we had C Rations. MRE's didn't exist yet and freeze dried food in any form was still on the horizon.

I want to keep something in the vehicle for just in case and I'm thinking of either MRE's or some Mountain House meals. I have no idea if real MRE's are any good, although I guess they'll keep you alive. Mountain House products sound better than MRE's, but they seem overpriced.

I realize that staying alive is the number one priority, but if the stuff tastes half way decently, it's a big plus.

Help an old guy out here, what's your input ladies & gents?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1306 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I have some Mountain House stuff but haven't tried it yet. It's reputed to be pretty tasty and it keeps for a very long time. For much of their stuff, you need water to rehydrate it and some kind of stove to heat it.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Some people really whine about MREs but in all honesty, they aren't bad. There are a couple that aren't good but if you read what's in them just use common sense and whatever you do, DON'T EAT THE MEATLOAF!!!!

The bad thing about keeping MREs in your car is that they don't like temperature change, it shortens their shelf life. I have 12 or 15 MREs that I keep here at the house in case of power outages or whatever but I keep them in a closet that's cool and dark. I would think that if you want to keep them in your car, freeze dried would be the way to go. Keep a couple of bottles of water with them and you should GTG.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14078 Times on 5952 Posts
Likes Given: 2342

Mountain House and MREs are both pretty good. Not EVERY menu item, but that is a matter of taste. MRE shortcoming- they like stable temperatures, and despite legends, do NOT have the shelf life of a rock. About 2-3 yrs max. Mountain House shortcoming- they need hot water, and a pack generally feeds TWO.

Possible alternative- recreate the C ration. Beanie Weenies, Fruit Cocktail, Pears, crackers. I keep a couple of 2 liter bottles of water in the toolbox of the truck (leave about a cup out of bottle, squeeze bottle to take out air, cap it, and now you can stop worrying about freezing and splitting) If you have source of hot water, hot chocolate, oatmeal. don't forget a spoon.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #5

Liked 499 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm kind of old, so when I was in the service we had C Rations. MRE's didn't exist yet and freeze dried food in any form was still on the horizon.

I want to keep something in the vehicle for just in case and I'm thinking of either MRE's or some Mountain House meals. I have no idea if real MRE's are any good, although I guess they'll keep you alive. Mountain House products sound better than MRE's, but they seem overpriced.

I realize that staying alive is the number one priority, but if the stuff tastes half way decently, it's a big plus.

Help an old guy out here, what's your input ladies & gents?
Don, you've been to Sportsmans or REI haven't you.

Mountain House is pretty good for for what it is. Much better than the MRE's I've tried. I tried some last summer when I packed into Desolation Valley and it was good to go. Also I keep some Tabasco, Lea & Perrins, and Tampatco hot sauce along with some salt and pepper in the backpack as well. Also try some of that Success brand Boil in the Bag brown rice. When vac packed it takes up very little space.

In the Mountain House you can get the single serving or double serving packets. Watch the calories each different meal provides as some are low and some are high in calories.
Your daily exertion or work load will determine how much in calories you will need.

REI has the better selection on the shelf over Sportsmans.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-04-2011 at 03:12 AM.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks, now I've got some food for thought.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2266 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 4912

I have a couple cans #10 of the Beef Stew, I had the smaller packs - very tasty! I did get a couple of boxes of Sure-Pal 12 Meals. Same with these - tasty, granted it is not home cooked like the wife wants; but, she might have to adjust.

Last time I was at Sportsman's Warehouse, they carried MRE's in the case; question I had who was the manufacturer?

Also, I carry extra hot sauce - Tabasco and Louisiana Hot Sauce!

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 02-04-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:01 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I tried some at the gun show and it was first rate, I did not get to see if any cheating was being done tho...

Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay, it looks like a taste test is in order. I have Zantac.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #10

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I don't have any of the #10 cans, but I have used the pouches and it is good stuff.