Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Motorcycles and EMP's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/motorcycles-emps-66064/)

Scratchammo 06-08-2012 06:59 PM

Motorcycles and EMP's

This is might seem strange to some but I've said stranger stuff before. I have a 1994 Honda Shadow 1100 v-twin with dual carbs. If an emp were to occur, what parts would get fried?

mountainman13 06-08-2012 07:00 PM

The important ones. Lol

lbwar15 06-08-2012 07:08 PM

Anything electrical. The computer, solenoids , ext.....

Scratchammo 06-08-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 829502)
Anything electrical. The computer, solenoids , ext.....

I see what you mean about the solenoind by mine has no CPU. I watched a video of a car getting EMP'd & the power windows still worked. Does that mean my fuel pump might still work?

lbwar15 06-08-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo

I see what you mean about the solenoind by mine has no CPU. I watched a video of a car getting EMP'd & the power windows still worked. Does that mean my fuel pump might still work?

Humm I'm not to sure. When it comes to electrical me giving you advice is like Hellen Keller leading Ray Charles across the street. If your welling to try I have seen someone show how you can test it. Bad thing is it will fry it if it fails.

Scratchammo 06-08-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 829530)
Humm I'm not to sure. When it comes to electrical me giving you advice is like Hellen Keller leading Ray Charles across the street. If your welling to try I have seen someone show how you can test it. Bad thing is it will fry it if it fails.

Lol nice :D
Hmmm, I might need a faraday cage tested :rolleyes:

orangello 06-08-2012 07:55 PM

What kind of ignition does yours have? If it has the old points like in the 1970's, you might be OK, but i would bet electronic ignition controls will be the problem.

lbwar15 06-08-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo

Lol nice :D
Hmmm, I might need a faraday cage tested :rolleyes:

Well do you. It's hard to tell with the rolleyes.

Scratchammo 06-08-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 829545)
What kind of ignition does yours have? If it has the old points like in the 1970's, you might be OK, but i would bet electronic ignition controls will be the problem.

I'm not sure what points are :confused:

RJMercer 06-08-2012 08:17 PM

If it has a distributor cap it has points. Replace those and the coil and you are back on the road. If the wires come directly out of the engine it has pickup coils and magnets in the flywheel like a lawnmower or weedeater. Replace the pickup coils and you are back on the road.
If you want to know what points are find an old early 70's car or truck and take the distributor cap off. At the base of the distributor you'll see 2 "claw" looking pinchers with contact pads. They open and close to allow juice to flow to the spark plug. It's just a mechanical spark control module.