The Most Probable Scenario - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The Most Probable Scenario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have to agree, "One Second After" was a good read. You should also try out John Birmingham's "Without Warning." It's a great book on what would happen if the US just disappeared! Warning though: It's the first in a 3 part series with the next one not due out until next year.

I think some sort of event that precipitates an economic collapse would be most likely. Take for example any terrorist attack on the US right now. The market would free-fall again, more jobs lost, more housing problems, and inflation. I think in many ways we're right on the edge and just waiting for somebody to push us off.

I hope I'm wrong because I'm woefully under-prepared and my wife thinks I'm a little crazy. Of course maybe I am

Old 06-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #112

Likes Given: 2

Ha ha, I JUST picked up "Without Warning" a few days ago, haven't started it yet, and from what you say I might wait until the 2nd one comes out or else I'll be stuck waiting.

As far as the being under-prepared and your wife thinking you are crazy........ join the club, I can't even count the number of conversations we've had about being better safe than sorry, but she'll never listen until its too late. She gets so pissed off when i buy extra ammo or Web gear... or really anything Military, Firearms, silver coin or camping related. I could probably get by with what I have now, but I'd like to have some more ammo and a pile of canned food and MRE's but I'd have to build a secret room just to hide it all from her. Right now I can hide things in the gun safe and ammo cabinet, but once it crows beyond that I'm F**ked....excuse my language.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #113
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Kodiak & Gonzo,

My wife started out like that. Fortunately, she loves me enough to indulge me in random acts of goofiness. However, she is also pragmatic and understands that self defense is a necessity.

So she now has her own handgun, a S&W model 60 and goes to the range occasionally to keep up her skills.

She understands the need to have extra food, water, medical supplies and other necessities stored for an unexpected disaster.

I think Hurricane Katrina helped to open her eyes quite a bit.

Stay positive in conversations and promote the safety aspects of being prepared. It's really just common sense.
I'd also suggest keeping preps relatively low profile. A bunch of military gear and manly macho stuff will likely be overkill and that stuff may just turn her off the whole idea. (slow and steady wins the race )

Ask her in terms of a Katrina or similar disaster, would she have rather been stranded or in the Superdome or able to ride it out in her own place of refuge? Perhaps that will start things in a more positive direction.

Good luck, some preparation is much better than none, and mindset is an awful lot of survival.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
You already have it. There are literally hundreds of thousands of idiot's who have overpaid for homes they have over borrowed on, and now can't sell for what they owe. This is the exact same thing that caused the stock market to tank in 29. Everyone trading, but no one had any money. Morons borrowing $400,000.00 to buy homes that are now worth less than 2/3 rds of that. So they walk because they have nothing to pay their debts with, and even less to lose because they came in with nothing but high hopes to begin with. Most can't even BUY a new car, they lease, (RENT). Were done financially. The dollar is worth crap overseas. We have a host of idiot's in this country who can't afford next weeks grocerys for cash, but they sleep 3 nights in front of an electronics store to be the first in line to buy an "I Phone" with a credit card. We are done financially as a world marketplace. And you know what? I'm glad, simply because these fools need to be shook out of the market. Removed from the real estate market, and put back into the 1 bedroom apartments where they belong . I'm sick of it, and judging by this countrys financial markets, so is everyone else with a buck. We will go back to what has been lost: "Collateral". It basicly means having something to get something, besides dreams, and a load of bull$h!t. Bill T.
This one I like! Soooo true!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #115

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

well, as an easterner, perhaps the people in major cities will be in trouble, but people in rural areas (like me) will be fine. We have lots of land, lots of natural resources, (drinkable water everywhere, many firearms, few roads, LOTS of cows and fields, wildlife). Besides, who wants to go up to the boonies? Theres really no value, unless you have a thing for cows or lots of woods or both.

Many country people and farmers can live independently for as long as they need if they cooperate.

Just my two cents though, I'm not an expert I just have a plan.

PS my debit card doesn't work now anyway!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:36 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCappin View Post
What do you think the most likely apocalyptic scenario would be to occur *if at all* *first* in the future?

Nuclear War? Economic Depression? Famine? Plague? etc...
nuc war: i think we are kind of smart by now for that to happen

depression: we are in it and surviving

Famine: well the US is ok, the rest they will just have to learn to eat pork and bean air drops

Plague: very likely, people and animals are getting closer to each other and the planet is also getting more filthy.

also lets not forget the a celestial event comet or sun flare.