Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Missing one thing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/missing-one-thing-78985/)

capto56 12-20-2012 07:55 PM

Missing one thing

I've been getting my b.o.b. / hiking backpack together for the past 6 months. I've compiled all of the essentials except for one thing. I don't have any food.

What kind of lightweight, high calorie, not terribly expensive, easy to acquire food would you suggest?

vincent 12-20-2012 08:45 PM

Jerky, granola, nuts, even hard candy for a quick fix. Be aware of expiration dates...

Get a few individual MRE's to put in there too...

hiwall 12-20-2012 09:34 PM

Most walmart's have freeze dried stuff in the camping section. Power bars and millennium bars granola bars are a fair choice.

bonney 12-20-2012 11:49 PM

I mix instant oatmeal with peanut butter and Tang. no freeze, no spoil, no cook. good nutrition, enough bulk to keep you regular, easy to find, cheap. just mix and eat with a spoon, like cookie dough. also, mix tang and a BIT of powdered gatorade in drinking water, and take a good multivitamin/mineral tablet daily.

rainmakerat92 12-21-2012 12:09 AM

For high calorie and cheap, peanut butter is hard to beat. Also, get a bag of corn chips, slice a small hole in the bag and then step on the bag gently a few times. When you are done, you can probably get the whole bag of chips into a quart-size zip-loc and then eat them with a spoon. Instant stove top dressing is good and so are large bags of knock-off M&Ms. The cheese and peanut butter filled packs of square crackers are good and fairly inexpensive. A few of the crackers crumpled into some hot, instant Cup-O-Soup at the end of the day make a great snack before supper. Also, anything that has the Little Debby label. Ah, the memories.........

Jpyle 12-21-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonney
I mix instant oatmeal with peanut butter and Tang. no freeze, no spoil, no cook. good nutrition, enough bulk to keep you regular, easy to find, cheap. just mix and eat with a spoon, like cookie dough. also, mix tang and a BIT of powdered gatorade in drinking water, and take a good multivitamin/mineral tablet daily.

+1 oats, citrus, vitamins and proteins...all a growing body needs.

bonney 12-21-2012 12:13 AM

lots of fat in PB, and fats have 2x the calories per oz of protein or carbs.

capto56 12-21-2012 12:23 AM

All good suggestions. I'll have to start mixing up some concoctions and maybe create my own recipe. Thanks guys

c3shooter 12-21-2012 12:45 AM

GORP. No cooking, no utensils, and if the world does not end, a pretty good day to day snack.

sdiver35 12-21-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
GORP. No cooking, no utensils, and if the world does not end, a pretty good day to day snack.

^^^^^Agree^^^^^^