Minors in a SHTF scenario - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Minors in a SHTF scenario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 318 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Cheap livin

Surviveing a disaster as in flooding water would be a problem even though your surrounded by it nary a drop ta drink less ya boil it, investing is some them filter pens (kinda a filterd drinking straw) remember water sanitization tablets are only good a couple weeks after opening and the more stuff in the water (muddy) you have to add more tablets , having bulk clorene bleach have on hand and knowing the mix ratio helps so large quantitys are used, I remember last summer at my cabin the rain barrel was knocked over by high winds and it had spilled out any rain it held before we arrived, the lake was only place to get water lucky we had some towels and buckets & shuch.
we strained most the large water bugs out useing a hand towel and then through a fine linen kitchen towel the smaller bugs size of pencil dot were strained out the tannin laden water was poured into our 10qt Katadyn water filter the fine micron filter catches the smallest stuff (jardia) still ended up with tea colored water that tasted pondy, we wanted some water fast and boiled up some fast buggies & all on the propane cooking range, also having a propane fired refridgerator helps keep stuff cool on a hot August day nothing like pond flavor'd ice cubes in your sun tea!, laying in a extra 100pound bottle of propane is prudent, can save dollers through the summer by eating most what ya grow in the garden/harvest natures bounty, the money saved can be used to lay in a drum of gasoline or extra propane, if you can get quality clothing instead of cheap thin walmart sluff they gaff you with in them sales they have
find the closest industrial clothing service agency they will have a whole bunch old cheap used uniforms and work clothes, most is top quality clothing that has blemishes that when dealing with the public whatever businesses the fray'd or blemished garmets are removed from service, seen a $400 down filled arctic parka go for a fraction of its original cost because of a fray'd cuff and a old oil stain, these are sturdy work clothes and cheap most that dont sell are cut up for use as shop rags, wire bound and sold to maintenance shops, carhart jackets with brass zippers at 1/4 the cost what they are new, most will have the old company logo's and patches still on them Haliburton, Crowley Maritime, Exxon, Sears, Pizza Hut,Jiffy Lube "for 2 years I was Joe from jiffy lube!" then I was Bob and then Shane.
you get the idea so run with it.

And for the "stupid as a bag of hammers" Ptarmagin anything that can live in a environment that is mostly dark for 5 months out the 9 months of winter(today its -3f) at average temps of-13 dropping down to -46f for a week and a half and withstand blizzards of 54, 67 and 72 mph winds (13 blizzards in a month and half) January & Febuary and avoid getting eaten by fox,mink,wolf,lynx,wolverene,martin and ermine and eating just whats above the 2 to 8 foot of snow cover, they may be dumb, but they shure are stout creatures and ther numbers reflect they do well here, Just try letting some farm turkey loose here and see how long they last?

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 04-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #22

Default use your mind, shed yourself of the yoke of the modern world

Yard sales, find ones that old people are retireing and moving away to aretirement home they'll have canning supplies laying around, keep a eye out for jars and rings and the pots and wire racks canning your food, pickle fish, kipper them, "tomatos" can the hell outta them garden fresh tomatos! mix some canned tomatos with whatever your fixing you can pretty much choke down a goat turd with canned tomatos! pickleing apples/pears, vinergrette vegatables, Zucinni,canned bacon and canned salted butter! mullberries,rasberries,goosberries,chokecherries,w ildgrapes,crabapples,all canned in jars and dated and rotated through, squash, winter mellons, slat baskets of taters and cabbage& carrots in a good cool root cellar, remember folks used to live off the grid and put up food that required cool/vented stroage but not (frozzen) my granny had a darn nice root cellar dug in the side hill next to her house had a nice floor drain too with a sloped concrete floor and tiers that produce could be laid out so as not to moulder.
Old turn the century homes had shelter belts of ceader trees to block wind from the house fruit trees on the shelterd lee side ordimental and food produceing plants growing all round the yard in a way that had form & function and a attractive apperance, they dident have computers,x-box or tv so they spent long hours tending the gardens they had great pride in them as well. they bugeted ther time in the most productive manner possible so they were never bored, they worked smart not hard!
My great uncle was a 87 year old batchler farmed is own self, was one the best bakers of home made bread I knew, he ground his own corm meal & rye flower (wheat/rye flower containing germ will sour over a six month time span) degerminated flour will keep but is not really a good performer in the kitchen,as such anything you can do for your self do it, when you think of all the stuff one can cut back on its amazeing, cigeretts,coffiee, soft drinks, candy, all add up fast. some honey glazed walnuts or pecans sure are batter for ya.
makeing fruit leather useing a honey mixture sure makes for filling the sweet tooth catagory.harvesting Maple and Birch sap and boiling down, cane sap into molassis.
Baked pie apples with cream a little brown sugar, corn meal mush, home cured hams, home harvested chicken eggs will keep for at least a year (remember dont wash them) then keep them in a old refridgerator in the basement or in the root cellar!
Preserving fresh unwashed eggs is a old trick that a sailboater told me about they sailed the austrailian sea and south pacific for 3 years storeing ther eggs in the ballast sand in the fiberglass keel strake, they kept for months without refridgeration as long as the outer shell covering wasent disturbed and air dident enter the shell. may be best to get more informed on this that way you dont get botchilism, reading is the best and cheapist form of entertainment also helps build your knowelage and if you want to refresh your memory on stuff you have it there highlighted on the page!
Depending on others leaves you at the mercy of others, no way I'd want someone having that much influince in my life,if a ice storm came through and knocked out your power you are at the mercy of the utility company, the food stores would be mobbed and sold out quick if they could get the credit card machines to work!
growing your own stuff, doing with whats needed think of the money spent on toys water ski's, movies, eating out, all distraction and luxury items one could survive without.
I use modern and efficent technology that enhances my life but not to the detriment to it.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 04-16-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cane: I hate Spiders, especially black widows.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 04-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #24

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
Cane: I hate Spiders, especially black widows.
Note: See my by line, Dysfunctional, Deal W/It!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #25

Default Location Location Location

Depending on where you live if renting you may have to check with the landlord/manager if its Ok to garden
if you live in a known flood area thats flooded at least once since the last 200 years best have a contingency evac plan and location to go to like grandpa's farm or something.
The garden idea is most logical why would anyone pass up a passive food system, some planting, weeding, little tending with water & fertilizer you will get food why thats a no brainer.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #26

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm in the process of building a bug out/SHTF box. Seeing as how I'm only a couple years older than you I feel like I could share some advice some of the older people (read: People who just now learned how to use the internet. )

1. Learn how to sew and keep lenghts of thread, sinew, and what not in a smaller sub box in your box. You'll never know when you'll need to sew something up

2. Knifes. Get several and get good ones. (Already mentioned buy bares repeating) I'd suggest one good fixed blade and a good folding blade, and if you have the money a good Gerber or SOG multi-tool. I've owned both, but I'd recomend SOG first, the one I had seemed more durable

3. Keep a few boxes of matches in water tight containers. REI makes some pretty good storm-proof matches that will light and stay light in a pretty good down pour (I know from experience).

4. Bottled water and MREs for the short term, seeds for the long term.

5. A good first aid kit, and know how to use everything in it. If you can afford it consider taking an EMT-B course from a local community college, and then see about learning how to give IVs and what not.

6. Good broken in boots.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 04-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Dollar stores are an excellent source of "survival" food. For about a $1 a can you can buy Spam, Sardines, and canned Ham for slightly more money. Buy beans (many varieties) and rice in 20 lb bags. Buy a Seal-a-Meal and make seperate portions of rice & beans. Buy sugar & spices in bulk and seal smaller portions. Buy bulk coffee and seal in packets to preserve either ground or whole bean (will last longer) An army surplus mess kit and stove will cost you less than $10. Stockpile water and rotate your stock. As mentioned earlier, buy a water purification system and tablets as a backup (or pool grade chlorine). Kerosene or propane lanterns depending on the fuel most prevalent in your area. Sam's Club, BJ's, and Costco have good sales on bulk propane cylinders for camping. Even 20lb cylinders can be used with a camoing stove and lantern. Knives and firearms are self-explanatory, and all that is needed in a survival situation is an accurate .22 rifle. Read survival books by reputable authors or military survival manuals. Get a well-stocked first aid kit with commonly used medications and dressings. Save old pain killers - they can be very helpful when none are available. Don't forget soap, dishwashing detergent, toothpaste & brush, towels, washcloths, and TOILET PAPER.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #28

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Buy a little bit at a time, that's what I've been doing for awhile. Especially with ammo.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #29

Default Other sources

I see that there is quite a bit of intrest in living off grid (storms and floods would lead to this situation) there are a few different forums with allot of know how out there, hikeing and backpacking, light camping sites and forums are great as there are folks that do this oftin and have the data out there,
there are sights that show all sorts Butchering deer, rabbits & such (Frugals Forums and Greaybeard Outdoors are two examples that come to mind)

Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

well, im stockin up on a little bit of everything. We have water stuff already, and I picked up a few survival manuals from a retired colonel in M.I. along with a few pairs of boots. Have been practicing things and have looked at places to go and things to do if anything goes wrong. the house now has lots of stored fresh water, canned goods, and my survival bag (which I bring whenever I'm in the woods) is now fully re-stocked. Thanks for all the advice everyone, keep it coming!