Minors in a SHTF scenario - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Minors in a SHTF scenario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The reason older folks don't respect younger ones is that too many younger guys don't deserve respect . You two young guys have prove you aren't a run-of-the mill high-tech ignoramous . Once people see you as individuals instead of part of a spoiled, disrespectful generation, they'll accept you . Watch how you dress, your grooming, who you hang out with, how you carry yourself and your manners . Yeah, they told me that when I was young and I didn't listen, but you can do better than I did .
It is true that some people have a natural aptitude for mechanics . I don't have it and that lack has pained me all my life .

Now what were we talking about ? Oh ! Survival on a budget .
1) Get books from the public library ; have the library order them if need be . That is what one survivalist, Ted Kaszinski ( The Unabomber ) did. Okay, bad example .

2) Visit the Red Cross site and government sites to get ideas for your disaster kit .

3) Start with cheap supplies . Bleach, contractor grade trash bags, an old pair of work boots or army combat boots , a vessel ( an empty plastic paint bucket will do ), gallons of bottled water ( rotate every three years ), pasta, beans, canned food . Acquire the more cosly items as you go along.

4 ) You can check yard sales and auctions for used lanterns and kerosene heaters at dirt cheap prices . Make a low offer .

Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2844 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 251

No, the beano will rob you of a valuable self defense weapon, flame thrower. If he is too young to purchase a firearm might as well have a fire-end!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

This thread started out great, but God...what you guys have done to it.

To easterner123, store food that keeps a long time. That includes legumes (split peas, lentils), beans and rice. If there is no fresh water source near you, store water as well. These things are cheap, easy to store, and don't cost a lot.

You will need to cook these things, so buy a pack of lighters. Obviously, you'll need something to burn for fuel (wood works great) and something in which to cook the food. All these things can be obtained by a minor for relatively little money.

If you haven't run screaming from this site yet, can you tell us the disposition of your parents? What are their thoughts on this sort of preparation?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #14

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

[QUOTE=bkt;67728]If there is no fresh water source near you, store water as well. These things are cheap, easy to store, and don't cost a lot.QUOTE]

Store water anyway, you can't know if your fresh water source is contaminated or poisoned... Water is the most important thing that you have to store a human can live for days without food but not without water.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 02-12-2009, 01:11 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 27

well, I appreciate all the input. I have a well with a pump operated by electricity, so when we lose power, we lose water too. the generator that the house came with has since been useless so we always have water and a stocked pantry at hand, but no plan AT ALL. They agree that we need more things in say the medical field, but we're good on food. They don't think that its important (respectfully, this might be the one time that have it absolutely incorrect) so the supplies are SLOW in coming, but at least we're started. The ideas are great, please keep them coming!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:11 AM   #16

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Food, you say you have covered; Water, that is covered; shelter, and I mean emergency shelter (a tent), warm dry clothes and good boots, a field medical kit, a basic weapons platform, a hand ax, a fixed blade and folding knife of good quality, in a hand gun, 9mm; in a rifle either .22, or .223, a 12 Gauge shotgun would be a nice addition to the group. If you have to go mobile, a pack. At this point food and water come back into the equation.

You will need to produce fire in some manner so give fire starting gear a thought. You will need light weight cooking gear (mess kit). Everyone in the group should have some or all of these ready to go as no one person is going to carry everything. Think out the scenarios, they are endless and just bee prepared.

If you are in a SHTF situation treat every stranger as a potential threat and keep alert. They may see you as an easy mark for what ever you may have that they want and can be as friendly as your long lost brother. Trust is one of the first things to go out the window when people are desperate.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 02-12-2009 at 05:15 AM.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Food, you say you have covered; Water, that is covered; shelter, and I mean emergency shelter (a tent), warm dry clothes and good boots, a field medical kit, a basic weapons platform, a hand ax, a fixed blade and folding knife of good quality, in a hand gun, 9mm; in a rifle either .22, or .223, a 12 Gauge shotgun would be a nice addition to the group. If you have to go mobile, a pack. At this point food and water come back into the equation.

You will need to produce fire in some manner so give fire starting gear a thought. You will need light weight cooking gear (mess kit). Everyone in the group should have some or all of these ready to go as no one person is going to carry everything. Think out the scenarios, they are endless and just bee prepared.

If you are in a SHTF situation treat every stranger as a potential threat and keep alert. They may see you as an easy mark for what ever you may have that they want and can be as friendly as your long lost brother. Trust is one of the first things to go out the window when people are desperate.

Trust? I wouldn't trust my own brother. Everyone is guilty until proven otherwise.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardcall View Post
In a SHTF situation are you guys sugestiong that you abandon the home from?
NO!! Stay put at home.
Quote:
I'm way out in the country why not stay were I am??? I got a well why not drink my well water?

I'm lookinginto getting a solar power system to run the pump for my well.

I think o rocket stove would serve well for cooking?

I got a fire place?

I got acres to plant food?
You're thinking exactly as you should. If possible -- and it probably will be possible, STAY HOME in a SHTF situation. You home is familiar to you, it offers comfort, and it can provide far, far more resources than you can carry or haul around in a truck.

Quote:
what exactly are you guys prepairing for? maybe that would give me a better idea of why were stocking up on spam? why not raise some live stock and be self sustainable. Me personally I want to be able to produce my own power.
If you have the land, time and ability to deal with livestock, that's great. For the rest of us, stocking up on legumes, rice and canned goods is a good option.

If you have a freshwater source, livestock, a garden, and you're out of the way of the mobs AND you can defend what you have, then you are in a very enviable position.

Side note: It is always prudent to put together a bug-out bag should the situation at home become bad enough that you must leave. Search this forum for suggestions on what to include in a BoB.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #19

Liked 85 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Makeing do!

Lay in some dried deer meat and dry it at 160degrees keep bagged in gunny sacks in the rafters of the garage, grow popcorn keeps same way, look for spring wild asparigass, and morril mushrooms, also read up on puffballs there are some you can eat.
for medicines is google up medicinal uses of everyday plants it would amaze you what a simple looking weed could do for you!
stinging nettles make a great salid as well as dandilyons
Mullen plants, fire weed and the dimond leaf willow (new spring leaf sprouts a cup full has more vitamin c than a couple oranges)
you just have to toon in to whats around you, watching a old eurpopean movie the rural french in the south would trap all sorts of game to eat useing some very basic traps eating sparrows, rodents & such.
setting trebble hook traps can harvest quite a few critters
seen a old video of eskimos stringing bushes with strings & trebble hooks in them when a covey of ptarmagin lit theresome would get caught a really neat and "not so labor intensive" method of getting food.
capturing alaska moose useing a snow noose where upon hooking up one leg they cannot get loose they'll struggl a little then get tired and lay down then you just walk right up and stick em with a spear (.22mag works too).

Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9137 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Rex- the ptarmigan is about the only bird that is dumber than a domesticated turkey! IQ seems equal to that of gravel.