Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Minors in a SHTF scenario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Minors in a SHTF scenario

I am in the financial situation that I cannot afford the things necessary for a SHTF scenario. I also live in the eastern part of the country, but am a good ways away from major cities. Any suggestions for a plan of action? Or how to acquire resources? And what should I do to help my family and I survive together? Also, some policies on contact with others (such as how to determine friendly from hostile, maybe how a younger age will affect the other parties stance in negotiating) I appreciate all feedback and info

PS. I have no vehicle and VERY limited funds, and please bear in mind I am under 18, so some items I simply cannot buy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Canned foods, dried beans, bottled water. What else do you really need? Do you seriously think that the Russians are going to invade?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

No, I would like to be prepared in the event of a natural disaster or something of that nature, just nice to have a plan. It can't really hurt right?

Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Start your research and training right now.

Basic preps don't have to be expensive, they just have to work. Used and surplus items are a good value for the dollar.

Learn First Aid and stock some basic medical supplies. Don't forget water purifying equipment, at least water purification tablets.

I don't know if you have a handgun, but get yourself a shotgun, and a .22LR rifle if you don't already have them. They'll feed you as well as protect you.
Buy a variety of different loads for the shotgun and lay in some bricks of .22LR. It's still pretty cheap, twenty bucks will still buy 500 rounds.

Have several good knives, not the Rambo kind either. Know how to sharpen them.

I can go on and on, but it's your job to do your research and figure out what you need and what to do if shtf. There's plenty of information out there.

Good luck...

CA357

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

It's great that you're thinking of these things, but your parents (or whatever adults you're with) should be pondering these things.

Are they in a position to stock up on necessary items? Can you give them a compelling argument why they should do these things? Folks here can probably help you build that argument.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I agree with BKT, but it is nice to see two younger people on here at least trying to prepare. It is also good to see one of the younger guys encouraging the other. Keep it up guys and welcome to the forum.
As stated above, get a few good knives, a shotgun, several types of loads for that shotgun, and a 22. Get some books on first aid and survival, learn what you can from them, but keep them handy as a refrence. This is all good advice, and can serve you well in a SHTF secnario. Excuse my spelling today, I am not feeling well, but I did feel it was a good topic to bring up and comment on.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
I am in the financial situation that I cannot afford the things necessary for a SHTF scenario. I also live in the eastern part of the country, but am a good ways away from major cities. Any suggestions for a plan of action? Or how to acquire resources? And what should I do to help my family and I survive together? Also, some policies on contact with others (such as how to determine friendly from hostile, maybe how a younger age will affect the other parties stance in negotiating) I appreciate all feedback and info

PS. I have no vehicle and VERY limited funds, and please bear in mind I am under 18, so some items I simply cannot buy
Do what I'm doing. A one item per week to your action plan. If you buy a bottle of wine, buy two and store one. So sit down and make a list of what you think you need, how much, what you can afford and act on it. Even if its a can of spam per week, you'll be damn happy you've got it if times get rough!

Dr.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #8

Wal-Mart has a sale on tinfoil wrap . . . for hats.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

F*** off all you comics, I'm an ex-Boy Scout, Scoutmaster.

If my little guys forgot everything I taught them, they remembered this one thing branded into their little mush-for-brains heads;

BE PREPARED!

Secondary lessons were; If your piss is yellow, drink more water!

If you’re hungry, take a drink! (The symptoms for hunger and thirst are the same! That’s why we have FAT thirsty kids today!!)

I sh1t-canned the training manual and substuted "common sense"!

I bet at my age I keep in touch with more "Men" that were in my Troop 228 than most (straight) Scoutmasters anywhere! (Sharp stick in the eye intended!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Get yourself some different sizes of Conibear traps, or even leg-hold traps. Conibears are preferable because they kill the animal when they trip. There are different techniques depending on the target animal and the area where you're setting traps, so read up on trapping.