Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Minimum bug in supplies (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/minimum-bug-supplies-62189/)

jimogden1984 04-10-2012 01:38 AM

Minimum bug in supplies
 
I live in a fairly rural area...a mile off black top, 10 miles from a gas station and 15 from the nearest walmart. I don't have a lot of neighbors and can trust the ones I do have. What would you consider to be the bare minimum I should have in a shtf situation? as far as firearms go I have a 1911, ruger mini 30, 12 gauge and 4 .22s. I stock up on ammo when I can. We have plenty of game running around and a creek on our land and a well. Also have a lot of machinery and farm equipment and lumber, wire, and stuff like that around. What should I look into getting to add to my collection or I guess I should say to really get one going? I'm just looking for suggestions on stuff to get started and then I can build from there.

Marlinman 04-10-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimogden1984
I live in a fairly rural area...a mile off black top, 10 miles from a gas station and 15 from the nearest walmart. I don't have a lot of neighbors and can trust the ones I do have. What would you consider to be the bare minimum I should have in a shtf situation? as far as firearms go I have a 1911, ruger mini 30, 12 gauge and 4 .22s. I stock up on ammo when I can. We have plenty of game running around and a creek on our land and a well. Also have a lot of machinery and farm equipment and lumber, wire, and stuff like that around. What should I look into getting to add to my collection or I guess I should say to really get one going? I'm just looking for suggestions on stuff to get started and then I can build from there.

A garden and canning stuff is a really good place to start. A fuel tank on the place is a good idea too. Otherwise nothin is coming to mind.....im sure more will come later on though;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

spack762 04-10-2012 02:04 AM

A safe water supply. Livestock, and the skill to care and use them.

Ranger-6 04-10-2012 02:08 AM

Do a risk assessment

1. What is the threat?
2. Can you defend in place?
3. For how long?
4. Food, water, and ammunition.

Marlinman 04-10-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spack762
A safe water supply. Livestock, and the skill to care and use them.

He has the water already....guineas make a dang good alarm system plus they keep your bug populations down. Geese work as well if you can stand the noisy suckers

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

jimogden1984 04-10-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

He has the water already....guineas make a dang good alarm system plus they keep your bug populations down. Geese work as well if you can stand the noisy suckers

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Tried raising guinneas, critters keep gettin em. No matter how hard we try or what we do we just haven't had any luck. I shot 4 coons in 2 nights when we had some last summer. That took care of it for a couple weeks but then something else got em

Marlinman 04-10-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimogden1984

Tried raising guinneas, critters keep gettin em. No matter how hard we try or what we do we just haven't had any luck. I shot 4 coons in 2 nights when we had some last summer. That took care of it for a couple weeks but then something else got em

Idk then

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

jimogden1984 04-10-2012 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

Idk then

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

I'm plannin on tryin again this summer and getting a trail cam, figure out what's gettin em and when they're comin

Marlinman 04-10-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimogden1984

I'm plannin on tryin again this summer and getting a trail cam, figure out what's gettin em and when they're comin

Thats a good idea....if you have a coupe your puttin em in a piece of rope that has old soup cans w a hand full of gravel on it strung low across a door way works also. There is a thread that give you ideas on that titled ways to get rid of problem coons i think it is....let me find it and get back to you on that.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Marlinman 04-10-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

Thats a good idea....if you have a coupe your puttin em in a piece of rope that has old soup cans w a hand full of gravel on it strung low across a door way works also. There is a thread that give you ideas on that titled ways to get rid of problem coons i think it is....let me find it and get back to you on that.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

The thread is quiet round capable of oppossum sized pest

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:00 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.