Militias
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Militias

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default Militias

I have a question that may strike a cord or two with some of you, however, this is something that I find interesting and am a little on the fence about. Here goes...

I read recently in my local paper a article about how militia members are on the rise. Apparently, because of the economy and all the hubub about Obama taking our guns, people are joining these militias by the groups. I have mixed feeling about this, and I guess my question is what are your thoughts and opinions on the matter of militias in the U.S.?

Any information and opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

As a conservative, a gun owner, a member of online firearm and other forums, I already wear a target on my back.

I was in the service years ago and am too long in the tooth to go running around in the woods yelling Wolverines! I am also too old, grumpy and independent to take orders from some guerrilla wannabe. I'll take my chances solo, thank you very much.

Did you get the idea that I think militias are a bad idea? I do.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #3

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Yeah, I kinda noticed that...

Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
As a conservative, a gun owner, a member of online firearm and other forums, I already wear a target on my back.

I was in the service years ago and am too long in the tooth to go running around in the woods yelling Wolverines! I am also too old, grumpy and independent to take orders from some guerrilla wannabe. I'll take my chances solo, thank you very much.

Did you get the idea that I think militias are a bad idea? I do.
Ahhhh, everything you said applies to me as well...

Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I can handle my own, without a pack of fat wannabes or hatemongers.

I'd also rather stay away from being involved with terrorist organizations. There is a right way and a wrong way to voice your disgust with the government. Spending your weekends making up plans for a revolution that you'll never carry through on doesn't help anything.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There was a guy who owned an army/navy store close to where I used to live. He was part of a militia and always tried to recruit me. I could never get excited about a bunch of wack jobs(this guy was one) running around in the hills, pretending it's "training"....It was a joke. In any fight they wouldn't have done anything more then spray bullets and be a danger to those around them. The only militia I would EVER concider joining would be the FTF militia....maybe...if I hadn't lost all my weapons in that dang fire.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #7

The only militia I would EVER concider joining would be the FTF militia....maybe...if I hadn't lost all my weapons in that dang fire.[/QUOTE]
I have noticed a lot of strange accidents involving guns and bullion over the last few months. One poor fellow lost all his silver and gold bullion and his guns in a "terrible boating accident" on Lake Superior, Mine was lost on my last trek to MT. Shasta. They all fell into a deep cravass never to be recovered.
We really should be more careful

edited for crappy spelling

Old 11-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If people want to have a club of like-minded individuals, more power to them. I don't think i would fit in with most groups & would not pursue that end. As long as they aren't dangerous to any U.S. citizens or legal visitors, i have no problem with the herding tendencies of some people with unusual political viewpoints.

My guns have not been lost and won't be, though i have thought OD green may not have been the easiest color to find in the woods.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #9

It comforts me to see militias on the rise but at the same time, with power becomes responsibility. The big government is way more organized and they're growing by the herds with boys scouts.. a growing military.. this new civilian national force where youngsters serve a number of hours each year and it pays for a chunk of their college.... they have all these agencies who spy and infiltrate looking for ways to manipulate the militias, while the militias have good intention.

I hope militias are smart and have mechanisms in place to thrive and be here for years to come, hopefully they won't be needed but I think they will seeing the state of the economy..

Militias to me are American soldiers, ones we need at home while the government has our real military tied up on the offensive abroad.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Didn't anybody watch "The Postman"? "I invoke Law 7 of the rules of 8!"

Those (militias) are the groups the rest of us will be up against should the SHTF and the regular military dissolve into the population.

Not my thing!!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 11-04-2009 at 02:14 AM.

Closed Thread