Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Militias (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/militias-19743/)

CaseyChadwell 11-03-2009 04:58 PM

Militias

I have a question that may strike a cord or two with some of you, however, this is something that I find interesting and am a little on the fence about. Here goes...

I read recently in my local paper a article about how militia members are on the rise. Apparently, because of the economy and all the hubub about Obama taking our guns, people are joining these militias by the groups. I have mixed feeling about this, and I guess my question is what are your thoughts and opinions on the matter of militias in the U.S.?

Any information and opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

CA357 11-03-2009 05:10 PM

As a conservative, a gun owner, a member of online firearm and other forums, I already wear a target on my back.

I was in the service years ago and am too long in the tooth to go running around in the woods yelling Wolverines! I am also too old, grumpy and independent to take orders from some guerrilla wannabe. I'll take my chances solo, thank you very much.

Did you get the idea that I think militias are a bad idea? I do. ;)

CaseyChadwell 11-03-2009 05:26 PM

Yeah, I kinda noticed that...:D

NGIB 11-03-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 181893)
As a conservative, a gun owner, a member of online firearm and other forums, I already wear a target on my back.

I was in the service years ago and am too long in the tooth to go running around in the woods yelling Wolverines! I am also too old, grumpy and independent to take orders from some guerrilla wannabe. I'll take my chances solo, thank you very much.

Did you get the idea that I think militias are a bad idea? I do. ;)

Ahhhh, everything you said applies to me as well...

matt g 11-03-2009 05:46 PM

I can handle my own, without a pack of fat wannabes or hatemongers.

I'd also rather stay away from being involved with terrorist organizations. There is a right way and a wrong way to voice your disgust with the government. Spending your weekends making up plans for a revolution that you'll never carry through on doesn't help anything.

spittinfire 11-03-2009 06:00 PM

There was a guy who owned an army/navy store close to where I used to live. He was part of a militia and always tried to recruit me. I could never get excited about a bunch of wack jobs(this guy was one) running around in the hills, pretending it's "training"....It was a joke. In any fight they wouldn't have done anything more then spray bullets and be a danger to those around them. The only militia I would EVER concider joining would be the FTF militia....maybe...if I hadn't lost all my weapons in that dang fire.

AmericanPatriot 11-03-2009 06:59 PM

The only militia I would EVER concider joining would be the FTF militia....maybe...if I hadn't lost all my weapons in that dang fire.[/QUOTE]
I have noticed a lot of strange accidents involving guns and bullion over the last few months. One poor fellow lost all his silver and gold bullion and his guns in a "terrible boating accident" on Lake Superior, Mine was lost on my last trek to MT. Shasta. They all fell into a deep cravass never to be recovered.
We really should be more careful;)

edited for crappy spelling

orangello 11-03-2009 07:22 PM

If people want to have a club of like-minded individuals, more power to them. I don't think i would fit in with most groups & would not pursue that end. As long as they aren't dangerous to any U.S. citizens or legal visitors, i have no problem with the herding tendencies of some people with unusual political viewpoints.

My guns have not been lost and won't be, though i have thought OD green may not have been the easiest color to find in the woods.

hindubandit 11-03-2009 07:32 PM

It comforts me to see militias on the rise but at the same time, with power becomes responsibility. The big government is way more organized and they're growing by the herds with boys scouts.. a growing military.. this new civilian national force where youngsters serve a number of hours each year and it pays for a chunk of their college.... they have all these agencies who spy and infiltrate looking for ways to manipulate the militias, while the militias have good intention.

I hope militias are smart and have mechanisms in place to thrive and be here for years to come, hopefully they won't be needed but I think they will seeing the state of the economy..

Militias to me are American soldiers, ones we need at home while the government has our real military tied up on the offensive abroad.

dunerunner 11-03-2009 07:32 PM

Didn't anybody watch "The Postman"? "I invoke Law 7 of the rules of 8!"

Those (militias) are the groups the rest of us will be up against should the SHTF and the regular military dissolve into the population.

Not my thing!!