Military MRE's - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Military MRE's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

You will have a hard time finding any quantity of Military MRE's, as they are restricted for sale! You might find a meal or two here or there, but cases, Good Luck as the other dude said! They are just not out there in an quantity!

RON L

What do you mean they are restricted for sale? You can pick them up at several online retailers and at just about any military surplus store.
Proud NRA member

Old 02-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
What do you mean they are restricted for sale? You can pick them up at several online retailers and at just about any military surplus store.
The genuine military issue MREs are not supposed to be sold. There have actually been federal cases against people buying and selling them. There are, however, copies and counterfeits that can be purchased by civilians.

Trust me though, you really don't want to have to eat them. They are very high in salt and fat. They're also over fortified and taste like butt. I don't know how many week long plus cases of constipation that I've suffered through because of them.

A much better alternative is freeze dried food designed for back packing. It is generally less expensive, has a long shelf life and tastes better. It's also more nutritionally balanced for people that aren't in combat.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 7 Posts

The constipation is an intended result as these meals are designed to be low residue. The reasoning is you don't want a soldier heading for the bushes to drop a load during an engagement. In 20 years in the military I ate more of these than I would have liked to and I'm glad I don't have to anymore. I feel for my son who is on active duty in Iraq as they have to consume them while out in the field...