Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Medical supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Medical supplies

I know we often talk about food, water, and shelter but one thing I feel we need to discuss is the need for medical supplies and wound care. Nothing will take you out faster than an infected wound (especially if the infection goes systemic and you end up septic).
Of course the trick to avoiding such a thing is quick cleaning and proper wound care. Basic first aid kits work for basic first aid needs but lets face it, in a SHTF situation wounds you could recieve will be anything but basic. Medical centers and hospitals will quickly become overrun and being able to obtain care quickly will be all but non-existant. Even in this small town I live in if there is a mass casualty incident (6 or more trauma patients) combined with a few heart attacks and a stroke or two, the local hospitals are on divert status (meaning they divert less critical patients to other hospitals) and the other hospitals quickly become filled up. In a SHTF situation, I can safely assume that quick care will not be available.
Knowing all of the above I have been collecting wound care and other medical supplies but after being a Paramedic for many years I know I have only enough at this point to care for about a half dozen severely injured people.
What I am looking for in this thread is to kick around ideas, scenerios, and even post links to suppliers where medical supplies are available. I have my sources within my agencies suppliers but sometimes you end up paying more than you could if other suplpiers were available. I know many of you have military experience and others have LE experience. Throw your $.02 in as well. Maybe it wont be your life you save but with good information, maybe we could save someone elses life in a bad situation. So, lets kick this around for a bit and see where it goes.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is an excellent idea.

I have accumulated a bunch of stuff, but I only have basic First Aid and CPR training. I am also building up a back supply of prescription meds for my wife and myself.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Guss, some good suggestions on where to get and what to stock up on:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/survival-medicine-36540/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/emergency-surgical-kit-40218/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/antibiotics-33391/

In an extreme SHTF scenario, quick triage and post usefulness/productive/benefit of the patient, will be two determinable important factors IMHO.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #4

Triage is an ugly but needed thing. In a true SHTF situation, I would hold no malice or ill will toward someone who let me be if my wounds were so severe that they would drain the resources of the rest of the group. That being said, I want to ensure that my family and anyone who chooses to hunker down with me has every chance to recover from most wounds that are or would be inflicted.

CA, you may only have limited training but common sense will guide you in how to treat injuries. If it is bleeding, stop the bleeding, if it is broke, stabilize it. If it cant breathe, give it an opening to breathe, etc. Medics are trained to do this the best way or the right way but if you can make the bleeding stop, you are doing something right. If what you are doing isnt working, try something different. This is one of those things that doing your best is all anyone can ask. Sure, we would all like to be perfectly trained when the situation arises but the reality is that isnt going to happen.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

*oops, nm*

Last edited by Seven; 07-25-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Guss, some good suggestions on where to get and what to stock up on:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/survival-medicine-36540/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/emergency-surgical-kit-40218/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/antibiotics-33391/

In an extreme SHTF scenario, quick triage and post usefulness/productive/benefit of the patient, will be two determinable important factors IMHO.

Thank you much sir.
I already have a lot of the stuff listed in those threads. What I want to do now is stock up.
I am in a very small town, the little hamlet I am in has a church, a fire station, 4 working farms and 3 dozen homes. In a SHTF scenerio, I already have friends and family that will be bugging out to my location. I have a great cross section of people who have things to offer. 2 Marines, 1 Army, 2 LEO's, 3 medics, 1 RN, 2 carpenters/construction, and of those folks 6 are avid outdoorsmen.
I know it will be my mission and intent to ensure the safety and security of the people of my little town. I want to make sure I have the needed supplies to handle situations.
I have been an EMT/Paramedic since 1993, my wife is an RN so I know we are capable but what I dont have direct experience with is battle related injuries. Sure, I have treated GSW's, MVA victims, burn victims, stabbings, etc. But what I am looking for is discussion on scenerios that have played out so I can guage wheather or not I have enough supplies and areas I may need to bulk up in.
Also with the idea of bulking up, I was wondering if people have ideas on where to purchase more supplies. Not a single roll of 4" cling but maybe a whole case of 4" cling wrap.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Keep this handy. It will give you some pointers.

http://www.me.ngb.army.mil/units/rti/resources/IS0871_Edition_C_ALMS.pdf

This might come in handy as well.
EMT Prehospital Care - Google Books

Maybe everyone should look at taking a class like this.
Wilderness Advanced First Aid

Having someone in your group that is a medic will be one of your biggest life savers.

Also gus pony up $15 and become a supporting member. That and a PM to Dillinger will get you set up with Promotive.com where we get KILLER Deals on TONS of outdoor products. You get killer discounts on great first aid kits from Adventure Medical Kits. They have first aid kits built for outdoors-men.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 725

when we exhuast our supplies on medical calls or car accidents a.m.r.replaces them for us but the rest of my supplies i get from galls.com although i do not use sutures or syringes now thinking about it i will begin to stock up on the medical supplies that i may need in a s.h.t.f. situation.what i have on hand i can keep you alive for awile but to perform any kind of surgery would be impossible.now you got me thinking....well at least i have another idea of what to spend my money on.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have found that besides the basics we keep a few extras in our trauma kits. Those little tampons that look like tea bags are great to plug a bullet wound or stop a sucking chest wound. Kotex type pads work great as trauma pads. Duct tape. I have wrapped a wound and if it is raining or over spray from fire hoses or just sweat the tape comes lose. Duct tape holds. I use it on broken toes a lot. Wrap the toe to the next toe with gauze and then duct tape. Put your sock and boot back on and go. I also like to keep vitamins, 1/2 pt whiskey (Knob Creek) and when were in the boondocks some antibiotics. You can stock up on pharmacy grade antibiotics for your fish at calvetsupply.com . I keep track of what my Dr gives me, strength and doses 1 per day 2 per, 7 days 10 days etc. This way you have an idea about what a body requires. Make sure you have plenty of OTC Meds in your kit also. A few bottles of drinking water will be an asset too. In our CERT drills I end up as the Triage Officer every time, That's a tough job. Good luck on your kit.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #10

like was stated above the most important phase of treatment is the initial phase. youve gotta stop the breathing, create an airway, and prevent additional injury. a simple kit for everyone to carry around on their person to be used on another person or even themselves is a basic combat trauma kit because think about it, in a SHTF situation, many wounds will be traumatic wonds similar to those received in a combat situation. bullet wounds, bone breaks, severe dehydration, sprains, the list goes on. but here is what we are required to carry overseas, it may be some help to someone here

tourniquet (1 in med kit and 1 on body armor)
saline lock kit
gauze
israeli wrap
pain killers
casualty card (has imformation of casualty from blood type to allergies, and a drawing of a man to draw injuries on for the medical personnel at the treatment center)
disinfecting wipes
medical tape

a couple extra things to keep handy in a situation like this:
sam splint
iv fluids if available
a lot of extra gauze
anti biotics
suture kits

and im sure im missing a lot of things. you can never be over prepared medically. always plan for any situation.