Making a survival kit from the "dollar store" - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Making a survival kit from the "dollar store"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

On a serious note I have made a few Med kits from dollar store items only cost me like $7 and got all the same supplies a $30 pre assembled Med kit would have plus more quantity off each item.

No they are not perfect kits but they are well rounded for general injuries such as cuts, scrapes, sprains, they would work very well for those situations but no they wont help much if someone required field surgery.

My 2¢

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 11-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default making a survival kit from the "dollar store"

I sold USA made Life support products, for 13 years. As an exporter, I sold everything that USA pilots wore and used, except their handguns. I sold these to our US allies over seas. Thats how I got into survival gear, altho I started collecting items back in the 1970s after reading Mel Tappan and other Survivalists....I guess the name is Preppers, now. In 1980 I discovered US gov't specs, and for those of you who knock Chinese made items...I do agree with you. I would rather have GI surplus than imported items. I am pricing kits now but can't get past 10-12 items for $100. As previously stated I came up with 24 items for $80...even if I had to buy two kits which was not a bad idea. Once I finish my GI surplus kit I will post my results. I appreciate your comments. I posted my "dollar store" idea to help folks who are looking for items....like me...on a limited budget too....Anthony Barbuto...barbuto@optonline.net

Old 11-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #23

Liked 438 Times on 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybarbuto View Post
I sold USA made Life support products, for 13 years. As an exporter, I sold everything that USA pilots wore and used, except their handguns. I sold these to our US allies over seas. Thats how I got into survival gear, altho I started collecting items back in the 1970s after reading Mel Tappan and other Survivalists....I guess the name is Preppers, now. In 1980 I discovered US gov't specs, and for those of you who knock Chinese made items...I do agree with you. I would rather have GI surplus than imported items. I am pricing kits now but can't get past 10-12 items for $100. As previously stated I came up with 24 items for $80...even if I had to buy two kits which was not a bad idea. Once I finish my GI surplus kit I will post my results. I appreciate your comments. I posted my "dollar store" idea to help folks who are looking for items....like me...on a limited budget too....Anthony Barbuto...barbuto@optonline.net
Looking forward to seeing some pics of the kits you have made.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2156 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Family Dollar and Dollar General have better deals than stores like the Dollar Tree.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 11-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #25

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Family Dollar and Dollar General have better deals than stores like the Dollar Tree.
Everything at Dollar Tree is $1!! How is there a better deal then that??

Family Dollar is "everything's more than $1" come to think of it don't think I've ever seen anything for $1 at family dollar except snack food lol.

Dollar Tree is my go to for a dollar store because its actually a $1 store maybe it doesn't have quite as big a selection as other dollar stores but that's where I got all the stuff for my Med kits and they are quite adequate for $7 each.

My 2¢

Work Hard Play Hard

Last edited by BigBizz87; 11-08-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would guess there are some things like medicines, batteries and food that might be better bought somewhere other than the dollar store. OTOH, I took some otc expired meds recently and it worked fine. Use what you have.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If we get into a SHTF situation....... I will not judge the origins of your equipment too harshly. I like US made equipment and I will use it when available. We should get the best quality we can afford and it may not always be US made. If you have a German or Russian made rifle, Austrian pistol, Israeli gas mask and a Japanese/ Chinese steel knife I will be ok about it. You are welcome at my campfire.
OTOH...... If you are wearing a Chinese or North Korean uniform...............I will likely be more judgmental about it. lol!

Old 11-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #28

Liked 1144 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf57 View Post
If we get into a SHTF situation....... I will not judge the origins of your equipment too harshly. I like US made equipment and I will use it when available. We should get the best quality we can afford and it may not always be US made. If you have a German or Russian made rifle, Austrian pistol, Israeli gas mask and a Japanese/ Chinese steel knife I will be ok about it. You are welcome at my campfire.
OTOH...... If you are wearing a Chinese or North Korean uniform...............I will likely be more judgmental about it. lol!
Hey! My old North Korean uniform still fits -- you wouldn't want it to go to waste, would you?