Making a survival kit from the "dollar store"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Making a survival kit from the "dollar store"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Making a survival kit from the "dollar store"

Recently, I went to the "Dollar Store", for my wife to pick up a few things. We are on Social Security so money is tight. When we are down to our last $20 for the month, and we run out of things...my wife will send me to the Dollar Store to pick up aluminum foil, or what ever we have run our of. For $1, it will do till the monthly SS checks come and we can go to the Supermarket.
I had picked up a lighter years ago from the Dollar store. I don't smoke, but carry the lighter in my daily survival kit. I have used it maybe 2-3 times to open frozen locks in the winter.....it certainly saved me a ton of money....I did not have to call a tow truck for my car !....The lighter, has non replaceable flint and was worn out...( after 5 years) so I looked for another lighter to replace it. I picked up a butane lighter for $1. Next to it I picked up a container of butane fluid. So for $2 I have a fire starter, and plenty of fuel. I now carry this with me in my daily carry as well as some wooden matches I put up in plastic tubes to keep them water tight.
Looking around the store, I wondered what else might be handy and economical. They often have cans of food for $1, good stuff like pasta with meat, or beans in sauce. However, you must check the ads from the supermarket, as I can often buy a can for 77 cents in the supermarket when on sale. I picked up a hammer carrier for $1. I modified this to carry a hatchet on my belt. The carrier was a leather piece with an "L" shaped piece of hardware. I shortened the "l" so it would carry the hatchet closer to my body. I made a cover for the hatchet from a scrap piece of leather I had, with a snap. Now I know that some will say you could buy a cover for about $5 , from mail order catalogs....but most mail order stores have a $9 or $10 s & h minimum...so for $1 and the scrap leather, I can carry a hatchet on my belt and have a sheath for it. I made the sheath to carry a flat file and a sharpening stone to keep the edge on my hatchet. By looking around and buying in wholesale qty, I can make up a 24 item survival kit for about $80. I keep these kits in the car, office, home, and in my caches in the woods. If any are interested...send me an email at barbuto@optonline.net....thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7124 Times on 3898 Posts
Likes Given: 14429

$1X24=$80

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MoHawk Likes This 
Old 11-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #3

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In real life survival is living one more day. That means filling each days needs so you can fight another day. Survival is being mobile. Burying supplies in the forest when you only have $20 dollars a month left to live on until the mail comes??
I would seriously rethink my tactics?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 151

So the tittle states that you are making a survival kit from the dollar store, correct?

If you are putting 24 items in your kit form the dollar store, where does the $80 come from?

How are you buying in bulk from a dollar store and saving? Does your dollar store allow you to buy in bulk, and get those items for less than a dollar each?

Would you please clarify, as others have stated $1x24 items does not equal $80. And why are you spending your last $20 on burying supplies in the woods?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Even squirrels starve to death when forest fires ravage or snow covers their cash.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2474

I think his point is that there are a lot of items that could be useful that you can get for $1, which isn't bad.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

I see the OP is new to the forum. Welcome, and I fully understood what you were trying to state. Sorry some guys had to completely disect your post, tear it down, and twist your statement by breaking down what the items total to and assume you bought them all at the same time with your last twenty dollars, instead of over a period of a month, which is entirely possible. Sorry for the run on sentence as well. I would like to say I agree with you as there are some basic items you could use at the dollar store. Matches, tarps, single use fashlights, sewing kits, bungie cords, non perishable food, first aid supplies, etc etc. You might want to be careful with food at the dollar store though, as some of it is usually close to expiration. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by FernandoTheCommando; 11-06-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #8

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

There are many items at the dollar store that are great to have in a BOB or GHB. Frugal prepping is fun.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This 
Old 11-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

There's stuff to be had form places like the Dollar Stores. I've bought a bunch of things like matches, bandages, etc. I've not thought to actually make a single kit though. I am always looking to get things where ever I might be just to put back.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #10
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7124 Times on 3898 Posts
Likes Given: 14429

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando
I see the OP is new to the forum.
He has been a member longer than you or I.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄