Making an "O Sh**" bag
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Making an "O Sh**" bag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Making an "O Sh**" bag

I think that I should have a bug out bag ("O SH**" bag) for when the time comes that I need to go to the hills/ good camping bag. I just got a very nice Swiss army rucksack that is pretty big and is very durable with reinforced leather bottom and straps and is made of strong rubber like material for $30. I just got a new sleeping pad, metal 40oz water bottle, and a olive rain poncho. I will be building this up for summer so I will always have it ready to go. I will be getting a tent, first aid, MREs, ect. What do you guys/gals think of it and what should I add?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Great idea. Most of us here have a set up ready to go. I have a "truck bag" that's in the truck and always ready to go as well as the usual stuff at home.

I suggest you search the survival & sustenance forum threads and you'll find a wealth of knowledge.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

We got rid our bug out bags, because their to heavy to carry and you can't get enough in them. If one needs too bug out there is a good possiblity the roads are gonna have check points so vehicles are not an option. My wife an I each have a deer hauling cart that can haul 250 lbs and can be easily pulled up and down hills and through the woods, creeks,etc.We can pull them a ways out of sight pitch our tent and relax,then be gone at sun up with no sign except for four bicycle tire tracks.Forget the bag man get ya a cart.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

...or not.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #5

that is quite an intelectual response,"or not"!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It was intended to be a humorous reply to your evangelical championing of a cart. Mind your manners.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasi View Post
We got rid our bug out bags, because their to heavy to carry and you can't get enough in them. If one needs too bug out there is a good possibility the roads are gonna have check points so vehicles are not an option. My wife an I each have a deer hauling cart that can haul 250 lbs and can be easily pulled up and down hills and through the woods, creeks,etc.We can pull them a ways out of sight pitch our tent and relax,then be gone at sun up with no sign except for four bicycle tire tracks.Forget the bag man get ya a cart.
Although a very sound idea to load your BOB bags and excess equipment onto, that cart may get a little cumbersome to pull over some rocky or rough terrain. Better solution, add or replace the cart with a horse, mule or donkey. They can haul double the weight, are faster and can maneuver in areas that cart would have some trouble in. Of course availability of pack animals depends on where you are located rural wise and their accessibility.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It was intended to be a humorous reply to your evangelical championing of a cart. Mind your manners.
Sir, the intent evidently failed and my manners are intact, however your responses are ill mannered and impolite. If one does not agree with an idea then would it not be better to read it and move on rather than to engage in a verbal quip? Right or wrong a person should be entitled to an opinion.This is the first post I have answered on this forum and,quite frankly, if this is how one is treated by the members here,it will probably be my last.Sir

IGETEVEN;

That is definitely true a horse would be perfect and we first tried horses but they need feed and shoeing. One also needs to be apt at training animals constantly for new situations.Also animals make noise, though that could be a useful alarm it could also give away ones position.The idea of a cart came from the plains indians pulling travois, I would agree that this is better but,in my humble opinion,still problematic because of the additional supplies and training one would need for animals.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
We got rid our bug out bags, because their to heavy to carry and you can't get enough in them. If one needs too bug out there is a good possiblity the roads are gonna have check points so vehicles are not an option. My wife an I each have a deer hauling cart that can haul 250 lbs and can be easily pulled up and down hills and through the woods, creeks,etc.We can pull them a ways out of sight pitch our tent and relax,then be gone at sun up with no sign except for four bicycle tire tracks.Forget the bag man get ya a cart.
A bug-out bag is generally used to provide you with items to help you get to an alternate location. Water/water purification, a little food, shelter (tent or tarp), fire-making tools, first-aid kit, warm clothes, a radio, maps of your area (in case you need to travel overland) and a compass will get you a long way.

I'm not sure what it is you had in your bags, but it sounds maybe like many of those items should have been at your alternate location ahead of time. It isn't realistic to think you can haul large food supplies or all your treasured belongings in a SHTF scenario.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
IGETEVEN;
That is definitely true a horse would be perfect and we first tried horses but they need feed and shoeing. One also needs to be apt at training animals constantly for new situations.Also animals make noise, though that could be a useful alarm it could also give away ones position.The idea of a cart came from the plains Indians pulling travois, I would agree that this is better but,in my humble opinion,still problematic because of the additional supplies and training one would need for animals.
As noted below by bkt, a BOB bag has the essential survival items one would need to safely get to a preplanned AO, where if planned ahead, one would already have a larger stash of additional survival items and food supplies.

The horse, mule or donkey are "acquisitioned or acquired" along the way, especially if you do not have one. They would be solely used for quick egress and evacuation of an area. If one wants to maintain a pack animal for further personal use, then they do hobble up nicely, plenty of grazing within the woods and pastures, hay and alfalfa fields will be abundant as you travel, grain can be obtained one way or another. The animal can even become a food source if it indeed comes to that stage. Remember, this is a total SHTF scenario and you and your families self preservation, so there will be a lot of "needed things" that will probably be somewhat available and acquired along your travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
A bug-out bag is generally used to provide you with items to help you get to an alternate location. Water/water purification, a little food, shelter (tent or tarp), fire-making tools, first-aid kit, warm clothes, a radio, maps of your area (in case you need to travel overland) and a compass will get you a long way.

I'm not sure what it is you had in your bags, but it sounds maybe like many of those items should have been at your alternate location ahead of time. It isn't realistic to think you can haul large food supplies or all your treasured belongings in a SHTF scenario.
Indeed.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”