Machete or hatchet - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Machete or hatchet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post

If you need a weapon, don't use a tomahawk, it's ineffective, bring a gun
Up close and personal and quiet killing-knife or tomahawk is better. I think that's the point he's trying to make mon ami.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Up close and personal and quiet killing-knife or tomahawk is better. I think that's the point he's trying to make mon ami.
You have a point there

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #23
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 802 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 381

I agree with Mosin the Woodsmans Pal is far more versatile than a machete!

http://www.amazon.com/Woodmans-Pal-PT-481-12-Classic/dp/B0009DV5SE

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Mosin Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I suspect we may be on different frequencies here I am considering the the original question what would be more versatile?
Many seem to be considering only the weapon side of this question, if I have to build shelter make camp fires butcher deer or moose like Mosin said the Woodmans_Pal hands down!!

Mosin Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
I suspect we may be on different frequencies here I am considering the the original question what would be more versatile?
Many seem to be considering only the weapon side of this question, if I have to build shelter make camp fires butcher deer or moose like Mosin said the Woodmans_Pal hands down!!
For them things the woodsmen is a good deal. My only problem w em is how bulky they are to carry around. My Hawk isn't that bulky and I have a Bowie on my pack already that's big/heavy enough to fall under a machetes uses.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #26
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
For them things the woodsmen is a good deal. My only problem w em is how bulky they are to carry around. My Hawk isn't that bulky and I have a Bowie on my pack already that's big/heavy enough to fall under a machetes uses.
Well I guess this why we have vanilla and chocolate in my world the aint gonna be no knife/machete fighting as long as there is one bullet left in the chamber

Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post

Well I guess this why we have vanilla and chocolate in my world the aint gonna be no knife/machete fighting as long as there is one bullet left in the chamber
Ya I see that point. Bit if it comes down to silent work a blade makes ALOT less noise

Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #28
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

It all depends on what you are doing. My hatchet is over 40 years old and I bought it new. It is compact and can be used as a hammer if you need to drive a stake. You can also hit the hammer side with a rock to break a joint. You cut down a sapling with either but the hatchet is not as bulky as a big machete. It makes an excellent survival tool. If you need to clear brush, the machete wins. Neither one is going to replace your knives.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #29

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Man... If you guys really think you're going to be in a situation that requires using an edged weapon to "silently off people", then I'd get a foldable shovel.

If **** got that bad, I'd probably be building punji pits, or digging my own grave...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Man... If you guys really think you're going to be in a situation that requires using an edged weapon to "silently off people", then I'd get a foldable shovel.

If **** got that bad, I'd probably be building punji pits, or digging my own grave...
It will get that bad. It IS that bad bc guerrilla warfire is rampant in any situation where people are fighting in any scale of any size. People who are good at it will survive best while those who can't do it become maybes. Want proof of that just look at Seals, Berets, Indians, and the VC.