Living in a tent in Alaska!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Living in a tent in Alaska!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Living in a tent in Alaska!

Here is an interesting Blog by a couple living in Alaska in a tent:

Off-Grid in Alaska: wall tent

A couple things I would point out before anyone considers doing this. The tent they are using cost as much as my entire cabin to build. tents are only temporary living and without additional insulation like they used would not be suitable for winter living.

They are storing batteries inside the tent with them that is not smart as batteries leak/offgas acid and explosive gasses that can kill people.

They are storing gas chainsaws and fuel oil in side the tent with a wood stove and are asking for trouble.

Their electrical system is too complicated and a 12 volt system does not require a grid fuse box like they have used. Solar panels with a generator backup would be better.

They are using a wood stove for primary heat and propane would have run many more appliances with a wood stove backup would have been a better choice.

They do not mention any bath or composting toilet in their tent and I appears they are using neighbors facilities for that purpose. A composting toilet and solar or propane shower would have been better.

Its a good article well worth reading but also shows a lot of mistakes people make when they decide to go off grid without an understanding of some basic survival principles.

Here are some videos of my survival solar cabin for ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/user/solarcab...F7ECFEEB05659B

cabin.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalpro View Post
Here is an interesting Blog by a couple living in Alaska in a tent:

Off-Grid in Alaska: wall tent

A couple things I would point out before anyone considers doing this. The tent they are using cost as much as my entire cabin to build. tents are only temporary living and without additional insulation like they used would not be suitable for winter living.

They are storing batteries inside the tent with them that is not smart as batteries leak/offgas acid and explosive gasses that can kill people.

They are storing gas chainsaws and fuel oil in side the tent with a wood stove and are asking for trouble.

Their electrical system is too complicated and a 12 volt system does not require a grid fuse box like they have used. Solar panels with a generator backup would be better.

They are using a wood stove for primary heat and propane would have run many more appliances with a wood stove backup would have been a better choice.

They do not mention any bath or composting toilet in their tent and I appears they are using neighbors facilities for that purpose. A composting toilet and solar or propane shower would have been better.

Its a good article well worth reading but also shows a lot of mistakes people make when they decide to go off grid without an understanding of some basic survival principles.

Here are some videos of my survival solar cabin for ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/user/solarcab...F7ECFEEB05659B
Welcome aboard. Interesting read.

Your Youtube link is not valid, though.

Hop on over to Introductions and tell us about yourself.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

I spent the winter of '93 living in a Tipi in Upstate New York (actually, I spent the fall/winter of 93 and the spring and early summer of 94 out there). I know it is not Alaska but -20 is -20.
It was a canvas tipi from Panther Primitives and it worked amazingly well. Rain, wind, snow, and even some really big snowfalls didnt phase that thing. I had a great fire in the middle of the room all the time. Cooked food, scraped hides, dried meat, and even got laid by the life giving fire in the center of the round room.
I had saws, oil, kero, and gas stored in the utility lean-to about 6' away from the tipi. Didnt need batteries as I didnt have anything that needed them except some flashlights and my girlfriend at the time brought those out to me on visits.
I suppose everyone has their idea of the perfect camp.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)