Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Living off the grid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Living off the grid

After watching the video about the couple living off the grid in Alaska, I've been interested in just what it would take to make something like that happen. I've been searching for a large enough plot of land to support hunting, fishing, trapping, and farming for a single family. This is more than just a whim, as I've often dreamed of sustaining my own survival.....

Aside from the obvious sustained living essentials (hunting, fishing, trapping, gardening/farming, food storage, shelter, fire, water, protection, etc), how do I go about making something like this a possibility?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 AM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Big step!!!!!

No more WWB ammo.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8643 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Step 1. Read. A lot. I learn better from the mistakes of OTHERS (and it is less painful.

Step 2. Define "Off the grid". It usually means being self sufficient for utilities- not being connected to the national power grid. However, to some folks, it means total self sufficiency. Here's a hint- that is really not going to happen for extended periods. I am a pretty fair carpenter- hell, I can make my own nails, or pegged beam construction if I need to- but I do not have a source of coal, limestone, and iron ore on my property, and I am not going to be making steel for a chisel.

Step 3- Figure out where you want to get to- and be willing to modify your goals as you go. "I want my whole house powered by a wind generator." OK- but the house you have in mind has a 3 ton heat pump, and the winds in your area are not going to deliver that much power- nor run your electric water heater, electric range, clothes dryer, etc. Soooooooo- we opt for a clothes line, skip the AC, go for the wood stove, and actually DO have enough home grown electricity for CFLs, a stereo, and an LCD TV.

Step 4. Take small bites at first. I have some country boys that grew up splitting firewood, canning green beans, and slaughtering a pig to make sausage- and they could go back to that tomorrow and not miss a beat. But is all that is new to you, take it a step at a time. Systemic shock, ya know.

Step 5. Mine knowledge. Not the possessive mine, but the verb. The old guy down the road that DOES still raise his own livestock, and processes the meat- may need a hand at butchering time. Tell him you want to learn how- can you come help? Don't know how to use a gin pole (no connection to alcohol) to raise a wind generator tower? Find someone that is doing it, and volunteer your labor. Madly making notes to self all while. For about $39, you can buy a BUNCH of back issues of Mother Earth News from the 70s and 80s (check Ebay). Magazine of the "back to the earth" folks. Haunt used books shops for nuggets of knowledge. I just got a copy of The Homebuilt Wind-generated Electricity Handbook for $4.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Liked 1768 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

I would be all for that type of thing. But, I would loose my wife and kids. They would never go for it. That's why I am a city dweller. Well small town anyway.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Look for property with a live stream that can be partially damed. Combine a small gasifier fueled generator, solar, wind and low head hydroelectric for power. Raise your oun chickens, beef and pork. Grow and can your own fruit and vegetables. Raise trout (if water in your pond is deep and cold enough) or catfish and crayfish in your partially damed stream (pond).

Build a methane generator and dump all sewage and animal waste in it. This will heat water (along with solar and electric), to heat your house and for domestic use. Get used to being cold and working hard, every day.

Find property that borders BLM or National Park land. That way you don't have to go the expense of having 1000 acres for access to wild game and timber, you just take a walk in the park!!

Good Luck!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 07-16-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Step 1. Read. A lot. I learn better from the mistakes of OTHERS (and it is less painful.

Step 2. Define "Off the grid". It usually means being self sufficient for utilities- not being connected to the national power grid. However, to some folks, it means total self sufficiency.....
I'd like to have zero electricity run to the living area. I'd likely invest in solar and wind for minimal things (and a gasoline powered generator for all of the other things from time to time). I'd like to have a well dug for my own water. Wood stove for heat, open the windows for "AC". However, I realize there are some things I cannot make...building materials, reloading supplies, gasoline, salt, sugar, flour, etc...these I will need to purchase. So, in all reality it wont be complete isolation, but as much as possible is my aim.

Quote:
Step 3- Figure out where you want to get to- and be willing to modify your goals as you go. "I want my whole house powered by a wind generator." OK- but the house you have in mind has a 3 ton heat pump, and the winds in your area are not going to deliver that much power- nor run your electric water heater, electric range, clothes dryer, etc. Soooooooo- we opt for a clothes line, skip the AC, go for the wood stove, and actually DO have enough home grown electricity for CFLs, a stereo, and an LCD TV.
In all honesty, I'd like to have as few 'creature comforts' as possible. I never watch TV, and can always find free hotspots for internet in urban areas. I love to cook, and imagine I could make do without gas for a stove so long as there is wood to burn. However, long term food storage without a fridge would be something I have no experience in. Canning would be a necessity , and gardening, hunting, and fishing would be my main source of food.

Quote:
Step 4. Take small bites at first. I have some country boys that grew up splitting firewood, canning green beans, and slaughtering a pig to make sausage- and they could go back to that tomorrow and not miss a beat. But is all that is new to you, take it a step at a time. Systemic shock, ya know.
I imagine it will take many years to gather the funds to buy the land, build the living area, all the equipment needed to be self-sufficient. What would likely be my scenario is I buy the property as a hunting/vacationing spot, and slowly turn it into a home I could one day live in (either total retreat from civilization, retirement, or SHTF bunker)

Quote:
Step 5. Mine knowledge. Not the possessive mine, but the verb. The old guy down the road that DOES still raise his own livestock, and processes the meat- may need a hand at butchering time. Tell him you want to learn how- can you come help? Don't know how to use a gin pole (no connection to alcohol) to raise a wind generator tower? Find someone that is doing it, and volunteer your labor. Madly making notes to self all while. For about $39, you can buy a BUNCH of back issues of Mother Earth News from the 70s and 80s (check Ebay). Magazine of the "back to the earth" folks. Haunt used books shops for nuggets of knowledge. I just got a copy of The Homebuilt Wind-generated Electricity Handbook for $4.
Knowledge mining is something I've been doing for a while. A lot of it is survival based, but some is gardening and farming, some hunting, some field medicine, etc...

Thank you for your reply!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I read an article about this in the late 1980's and it was fascinating at the time. I read and re-read it several times and it laid out the plans for self-sufficient living by owning a balance of crop land, grazing pastures, and woodlands. After committing most of it to memory, I began telling my father about it. I described how a small herd of livestock, some chickens, a milk cow, and some hogs would provide protein for a family of 6, a moderate sized garden would provide plenty of vegetables, and if there were mature fruit trees on the property that was an added bonus. A larger plot could be used to provide extra vegetables to sell or trade for other supplies, provided there were an adequate number of able bodies to maintain it. The woodlands would provide an additional supply of wild game to augment the protein supply and fresh water fish on the property would also be a plus.

I hadn't gotten past this point to explain about using wood as a heat source and how kerosene lanterns would provide lighting and an emergency generator could be kept around just in case when my dad stopped me and said, "You just described my life up until the age of 17." He then went on to tell me how much he didn't want any part of going back there. I certainly agree with that, but I also know that many of us who didn't have that early experience should make ourselves prepared in the event it becomes necessary. It concerns me that even my generation would be hard pressed to survive such an event, when our view of "olden days" is black & white TV with 3 channels and an antennae on the roof. The younger generation is almost assured to whither and die without an iPod and a cell phone. While preparation for the unthinkable is vital, I hope we have enough fight in us to keep it from happening.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 2049

Default Sh$t from Shinoalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
After watching the video about the couple living off the grid in Alaska, I've been interested in just what it would take to make something like that happen. I've been searching for a large enough plot of land to support hunting, fishing, trapping, and farming for a single family. This is more than just a whim, as I've often dreamed of sustaining my own survival.....

Aside from the obvious sustained living essentials (hunting, fishing, trapping, gardening/farming, food storage, shelter, fire, water, protection, etc), how do I go about making something like this a possibility?
You my friend need to do a lot of homework. If you think for one moment that you can pull this off your a better man than me. Alaska is an unforgiveing land. Do your research and take it one step at a time. Remember there a no roads and help is miles away. Bears are allways a problem.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
You my friend need to do a lot of homework. If you think for one moment that you can pull this off your a better man than me. Alaska is an unforgiveing land. Do your research and take it one step at a time. Remember there a no roads and help is miles away. Bears are allways a problem.
Well, I wasn't thinking Alaska per say. Just living off the grid somewhere in the US.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 2049

Default Liven off the land

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post

Pick your sight carefully, You will and can do this if you do your home work. Look to the interior of the U> S> High ground is preferred. And change your eating habbits. Learn to sleep W/O ac. Pack your bags with antibiotics in case of injury. This list can go on an on. Remember to look in the pool before you jump. Keep in touch. Wills in da swamp in La.