A little late, but I've finally started... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > A little late, but I've finally started...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

While I have been slow to build preps thru a divorce and i did build an extensive medical stockpile and have many needed supplies. Food is mostly my need but we all start somewhere ... I guess on my fat reserves I'm good for six months or so

Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
Kai

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's funny to read about people "prepping" and the qualms about prepping and reasons for prepping.
Many people have prepped for centuries/decades...My grandparents were preppers...grandpa had a 2 acre garden and raised chickens as well as a 2 acre vineyard that gave us port wine.
He and grandma canned and bottled veggies to last throughout the winter months.
They did not have the emergency survival stuff available today but they were prepping for hard times when money would be tight and some food stuffs not available...like vegetables in the winter. I remember this as a child in the early 60's...born in '55.
My mom also did some prepping at the same time. Living along the SE coast of MA we had a lot of hurricanes. No power and sometimes water problems. She would fill the bath tub with water when a storm was coming. We always had a supply of hurricane candles and kerosene lanterns...cool to use as a kid.
Their prepping was more for tight money times and weather related storm problems.

But those, in my opinion, are the basic reasons for all of us to prep. Tight financial times, storms, etc. are the basic problems we WILL face in some fashion or another. They are predictable and we should all have preps to get us through them.
The other prepping reasons...war, epidemic, societal fall, etc...are all rolls of the dice and some may spends many thousands of dollars only to see time pass with none of the expected calamities befall. It is a roll of the dice and being prepared is better than no preparations but I do wonder if there is a line...I suppose that line is up to each of us and I'd rather it that way than relying on government agencies to support us. Their current track record...recent hurricane Sandy...demonstrates that they are still slow to respond with often the wrong help when it is needed...funny how bureaucrats work that way and can get away with it isn't it???...so we rely upon ourselves, families, friends and community to deal with our problems and help as needed and able.

My wife and I are prepared for emergencies. We have what we feel is adequate food and water supplies to last us 30 to 90 days with conservations. We also have emergency supplies and gear to take us through loss of power, etc. for a reasonable amount of time. We feel we are adequately prepared.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #13

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Kai, thats precisely why I built (2) 4-tiered shelves in the basement that are now half stocked with food and water...and a few supplies just in case. I am not expecting zombies, nazi's, apocalypse, etc. What I AM preparing for are exactly the things you mentioned.....emergencies. I had my power knocked out for 5 days due to Sandy and was caught with my pants down. That wont happen again. It was a learning curve for me

Old 12-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #14

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Interesting perspectives you two.

But cushioning oneself from just an otherwise perfect life is a start, not a destination or definition of preparedness, at least to a "prepper." Thinking about the longer-term implications of (probably, hopefully) less-likely but more dramatic and drastic situations and planning for them too is simply responsible. The appropriate attitude and investment in knowledge, skills, physical preparation and practice? Priceless insurance. When nothing else will do you cannot rely on anything else.

Hope is not a practical program for anything which I know you've started to recognize...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-25-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Kai

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well said Hockalouis.
I'm prepared for the general emergencies but my stuff is also capable of carrying me through all emergencies from natural to man made of any sort...more or less...I have no anti nuclear fallout medicine, etc. and I'm not sure I want any. But stuff like that is worth looking into.
I do have a lot of learning materials for surviving a variety of difficulties and that is better than nothing.

I also live in an area where it is very easy to live off the land, small populations, close to a major Army base, small close knit community/village full of hunters, military, etc., farms of all sorts. So in a worst case scenario this village will survive and do well...We hope...

Most of us, including me, are skilled in a variety of skills that will translate quite well into a survival community.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1501 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
It's funny to read about people "prepping" and the qualms about prepping and reasons for prepping.
Many people have prepped for centuries/decades...My grandparents were preppers...grandpa had a 2 acre garden and raised chickens as well as a 2 acre vineyard that gave us port wine.
He and grandma canned and bottled veggies to last throughout the winter months.
They did not have the emergency survival stuff available today but they were prepping for hard times when money would be tight and some food stuffs not available...like vegetables in the winter.
That pretty well describes most of my prepping. I tend to focus more on being self sufficient and not just for potential hard times. There is a feeling of satisfaction that comes with being more self sufficient. There are also other benefits for example you eat better and healthier food from your garden than from the grocery store. Plus it saves a lot of money even in good times. From there it's not that difficult to prep for even worse long term situations. For me it all goes back to the basics: water, food, and shelter. The better you are at providing those three things the better off you are no matter what.