A little late, but I've finally started...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > A little late, but I've finally started...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default A little late, but I've finally started...

I'm going to be VERY honest....up until a couple weeks ago I considered this "crazy prepping mentality" for a long time as people who were just paranoid or nuts. Placed full faith in our government to prevent economic collapse/civil unrest, but now Im being much more realistic. Things can happen. Well, after seeing what has unfolded over the last week after Sandy struck nearby....I watched people's lives collapse who were 100% dependent on media, electricity, and local comforts such as supermarkets, gas stations, police, etc.

Well, in a "secure" region such as NJ/NYC I'm here to report that as of yesterday there were still nearly 80k without power...some are completely homeless and living at shelters. Its bad. Looting and invasions have happened...but according to the reports Ive read it wasnt nearly as bad as some of the conspiracy theorists have tried to pretend. But still.....these people are stuck and some are getting desperate. And as you will see in this link....one opportunistic criminal man can do a LOT of damage in a tragedy like this....he's possibly responsible for 12 home invasions & robberies in fact:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/L-I--Man-Burglarized-Homes-During-Sandy-Blackout--Police/179048251

So.....fast forward to now. I literally JUST begun to build a supply of water, canned food, ammo & supplies. My prepping consists of 2 parts: building up a supply of food and supplies at my home to keep myself, my wife and 1 year old daughter fed for at least 3 months.....and building a decent BUG bag if I need to flee. I am building as fast as my finances allow...I refuse to go broke building up my cache so I have to simply add to the supply little by little.

Happy prepping, cant believe it took me so long but I'm in! Will update with details as my plan takes shape

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; 11-13-2012 at 04:22 PM.
CA357 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Welcome. What some call paranoia our grandparents and/or great grandparents called common sense. Then Americans became soft and complacent if not ignorant. OK, delusional! It is irresponsible for a person, especially the head of a household, to be unprepared for the basics.

People can get swept up. Plan your preps and work the plan. Slow but steady wins the race. A suggestion...

Don't get caught starting preps for being snowed-in for a few days when you want months of supplies. Find out what that means. Such as what are going to make up the 600,000 calories you'll want for those months?

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1493 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3223

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Welcome. What some call paranoia our grandparents and/or great grandparents called common sense. Then Americans became soft and complacent if not ignorant. OK, delusional! It is irresponsible for a person, especially the head of a household, to be unprepared for the basics.

People can get swept up. Plan your preps and work the plan. Slow but steady wins the race. A suggestion...

Don't get caught starting preps for being snowed-in for a few days when you want months of supplies. Find out what that means. Such as what are going to make up the 600,000 calories you'll want for those months?

Good luck.
Funny you should mention "grandparents". My attitude about prepping comes from my late grandmother, and you described her attitude to a "T". She never thought of it as anything other than common sense. She always kept a pantry full of canned food and plenty of extra water. I still remember as a kid helping her fill jugs with water. She also always told me not to trust banks and to buy gold. I sure do wish that I had listened to her sooner.

She always had very simple way of viewing the world. The older I get the more I realize how insightful her simple view of the world was.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #4

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

An excellent place for information (and some fellowship) is the sister site to this one. It is found here---

www.preparedsociety.com

Just like here, it is a great bunch of people.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

barack-obama-shushing.jpg

My minions and sycophants are listening.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #6

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
An excellent place for information (and some fellowship) is the sister site to this one. It is found here---

www.preparedsociety.com

Just like here, it is a great bunch of people.
Now how come nobody told me about this sight sooner. Well better late than never I guess.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #7

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Best of luck getting started. I'm not overwhelmingly prepared, but at least I have somewhat of a "plan" and a few supplies. One thing I have realized is that it's pretty costly.

-Matt

Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #8

Liked 2745 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 2644

From the title of your thread I thought you were worried about being pregnant.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #9

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
From the title of your thread I thought you were worried about being pregnant.
Hahahaha I thought that that too, but I didn't say anything.

-Matt

Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #10

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

lol nope...but funny you should say that as my wife is 12 weeks as we speak with our second

Just picked up a second 4-shelf storage shelf for the basement....beginning to fill it up each week and picking up an extra 2 boxes of ammo for home storage with each range trip. My grab bag will be the most expensive thing to fill up.... got a few basic medical supplies, survival tools in it already