Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   A little late, but I've finally started... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/little-late-but-ive-finally-started-76297/)

StainlessSteel215 11-13-2012 04:02 PM

A little late, but I've finally started...

I'm going to be VERY honest....up until a couple weeks ago I considered this "crazy prepping mentality" for a long time as people who were just paranoid or nuts. Placed full faith in our government to prevent economic collapse/civil unrest, but now Im being much more realistic. Things can happen. Well, after seeing what has unfolded over the last week after Sandy struck nearby....I watched people's lives collapse who were 100% dependent on media, electricity, and local comforts such as supermarkets, gas stations, police, etc.

Well, in a "secure" region such as NJ/NYC I'm here to report that as of yesterday there were still nearly 80k without power...some are completely homeless and living at shelters. Its bad. Looting and invasions have happened...but according to the reports Ive read it wasnt nearly as bad as some of the conspiracy theorists have tried to pretend. But still.....these people are stuck and some are getting desperate. And as you will see in this link....one opportunistic criminal man can do a LOT of damage in a tragedy like this....he's possibly responsible for 12 home invasions & robberies in fact:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/L-I--Man-Burglarized-Homes-During-Sandy-Blackout--Police/179048251

So.....fast forward to now. I literally JUST begun to build a supply of water, canned food, ammo & supplies. My prepping consists of 2 parts: building up a supply of food and supplies at my home to keep myself, my wife and 1 year old daughter fed for at least 3 months.....and building a decent BUG bag if I need to flee. I am building as fast as my finances allow...I refuse to go broke building up my cache so I have to simply add to the supply little by little.

Happy prepping, cant believe it took me so long but I'm in! Will update with details as my plan takes shape

HockaLouis 11-14-2012 12:35 AM

Welcome. What some call paranoia our grandparents and/or great grandparents called common sense. Then Americans became soft and complacent if not ignorant. OK, delusional! It is irresponsible for a person, especially the head of a household, to be unprepared for the basics.

People can get swept up. Plan your preps and work the plan. Slow but steady wins the race. A suggestion...

Don't get caught starting preps for being snowed-in for a few days when you want months of supplies. Find out what that means. Such as what are going to make up the 600,000 calories you'll want for those months?

Good luck.

TLuker 11-14-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1013418)
Welcome. What some call paranoia our grandparents and/or great grandparents called common sense. Then Americans became soft and complacent if not ignorant. OK, delusional! It is irresponsible for a person, especially the head of a household, to be unprepared for the basics.

People can get swept up. Plan your preps and work the plan. Slow but steady wins the race. A suggestion...

Don't get caught starting preps for being snowed-in for a few days when you want months of supplies. Find out what that means. Such as what are going to make up the 600,000 calories you'll want for those months?

Good luck.

Funny you should mention "grandparents". My attitude about prepping comes from my late grandmother, and you described her attitude to a "T". She never thought of it as anything other than common sense. She always kept a pantry full of canned food and plenty of extra water. I still remember as a kid helping her fill jugs with water. She also always told me not to trust banks and to buy gold. I sure do wish that I had listened to her sooner. :)

She always had very simple way of viewing the world. The older I get the more I realize how insightful her simple view of the world was.

hiwall 11-14-2012 01:09 AM

An excellent place for information (and some fellowship) is the sister site to this one. It is found here---

www.preparedsociety.com

Just like here, it is a great bunch of people.

canebrake 11-14-2012 01:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 69434

My minions and sycophants are listening.

lbwar15 11-14-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
An excellent place for information (and some fellowship) is the sister site to this one. It is found here---

www.preparedsociety.com

Just like here, it is a great bunch of people.

Now how come nobody told me about this sight sooner. Well better late than never I guess.

Blueguns 11-22-2012 11:30 PM

Best of luck getting started. I'm not overwhelmingly prepared, but at least I have somewhat of a "plan" and a few supplies. One thing I have realized is that it's pretty costly.

rjd3282 11-23-2012 12:03 AM

From the title of your thread I thought you were worried about being pregnant. :D

Blueguns 11-23-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282
From the title of your thread I thought you were worried about being pregnant. :D

Hahahaha :D I thought that that too, but I didn't say anything.

StainlessSteel215 11-26-2012 04:37 PM

lol nope...but funny you should say that as my wife is 12 weeks as we speak with our second ;)

Just picked up a second 4-shelf storage shelf for the basement....beginning to fill it up each week and picking up an extra 2 boxes of ammo for home storage with each range trip. My grab bag will be the most expensive thing to fill up.... got a few basic medical supplies, survival tools in it already