Light weight subsistance in Alaska - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Light weight subsistance in Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Jeez Rex, where the heck you at? I haven't heard anything on the news about such goings on. (Of course, we don't get all that much state news). I'd be loathe to part with my bunny boots. Have had the mukluks but that snow will turn to water before long. 2-3 weeks now here in Wasilla.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #12

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Dragging butt this evening.

Im happy to be back home tonight, work had me out this week on the trail
I snowmobiled over 361 miles on a 550 polaris, seen some pretty country, lots o critters, second morning I went out to start the 550 and the pull rope wouldent even budge, opened the belt guard and managed to get the primary clutch to turn after a couple minuets of trying, went back in and grabbed the thermometer it went down to -35 and pegged it. used a propane torch and heated the exhast manifold and she limberd up enough to start we did all 4 sno-go's was a cold day moving equipment in open country, allot was wind whipped drifts that were very hard (looked like wind whipped 1.5' white cap's that were made of snow!) noticed today all the shocks are going to need rebuilding there shot!
We left Kotzebue to Selawik where we joined up with two co-workers and went another 38 miles out of town moving a 2780# fuel tank.

front-view-joes-sled.jpg

Old 03-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #13

Default Ice fishing Kotzebue Sound/Kobuk Lake

Well the temps are cold (-7f to -20f) but we shure are getting the daylight now, (can read a news paper after 9pm out doors) The snow is galazeing a mite its time to think icefishing, the ice here right now is over 46" so a Ice auger would have to use the extension, I dont have one and the idea of chopping down thru 46" o ice by hand is a little daunting, I saw Fish Creek SWales has a good deal on power augers, 8" is small for these parts. I may go in 1/2's on one for this spring (tax refund?).

Old 04-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #14

Default Wishin for fishin

Well the Whitefish have been reported feeding and have moved through our area, folks were catching (sheefish) steadly and bringing back sled loads of 20-30 pounders
went out a couple times and caught 2 the first night 17# and a 21# sheefish
went a week later still lots of open holes Ice was 46" with a 1.5" snow cover and caught 3 more, the biggest was caught by my youngest girl, she'd been nagging me right off so as soon as I had a mouth of the first hole cleard cause the wind was blowing 10 outta the NNE,
so i chucked a line in dident bait it or set the depth handed it to her and resumed clearing a couple more holes with the Toqe she pulled out a 27#er
10 minuets into it, some the other folks reported the fish were stripping the 50# tackle, we were useing willow jigging sticks on 100test brade'd useing a 3aught Dr Spoon "gold" with a 3 fantom depth string tied to the end "thats why folks were loseing them they couldent pay out line to play the fish they'd hit the end the line and snap the weak points" we came home with more fish than we caught we left when the wind picked up over 15 mph
had a good beat trail abit some what bumpy 3.5 mile trip back home (traveling across the drifts was just like going across windrows in a corn field) Froze the fish solid (-10f) used a bow saw and cut some cross sections and useing a Ulu was able to make short work of them hunks poping out the guts in a frozzen block and slitting the skin catching the edge useing the ulu to anchor it to the cleaning wood then rotate the fish right out its skin and then a couple passes down the back bone the majority of meat is off then a couple passes along the ribbs they are ready for anything, the kids were set on froze thin sliced meat rubbed on a salted plate dabbed in some seal oil
the rest the meat that I could keep away from them kids, I pan fried with cooking oil and a little season salt & sliced onion served with some steamed rice, wasent bad served with Percolated liptin tea (found out years back them old fassioned electric coffiee percolators make a very smooth tea) better than a the bitter stuff from the microwave.
looked through the freezers and made room for a couple but still had 5 fish that dident fit so I doug a hole in the front yard snow bank and buried them fish till I can cut em up & fit em in the freezer.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 04-16-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:05 AM   #15

Default Ptarmigan

This week I had the kids motoring around out on the tundra, we checked out a couple good spots for rabbit and Ptarmigan though they were all hunted out form all the sno-go tracks.
we were takeing a wide loop back to town when i spotted them all familure ptarmigan outlines (look like big chunks of snow where ther shouldent be any) we managed to motor close on the ole puma and shut er down. the boy's tried to stalk closer but bogged down in that rotten April snow they did manage to plug a couple after a couple engagements the birds flew across the ravine, kids learned that these close to town birds dont stay put and wont let ya get closer than 50 yards, they were excited and woulda chased them birds across NorthWest Alaska if they had there way.
The kids were all talking excited on the way home and planning the next trip out
one wants to use a shot gun, one a scoped .22, the little one wants to wear her glasses next time so she could shoot to.