Light weight subsistance in Alaska
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Light weight subsistance in Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 89 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Light weight subsistance in Alaska

I have used our states Subsistance hunting and fishing provision to supplament my modist income, the Caribou and fish shure help strech the dollar here as allot of day to day items cost allot, just the basic monthly Local 'no-longdistance' telephone is over $30
a gallon of gasoline is over $7.38 at the pump.
a dozzen eggs at the store cost in excess of $4, a gallon of milk costs $9.98
a box of rifle shells (30-06) is over $38.
Instead of hamburger helper I have caribou helper, instead of Tuna helper its Salmon helper, Aha-Loo-too-walk is meat & gravy on rice, seal oil goes for $30 a 1/2 pint.
I work but definately use subsistance to strech my grocers need to feed and care for 3 kids and 2 dogs and a mortgage (poverty acres).
I run a snowmobile that should of died years back (1994 arctic cat) its costly keeping equipment running to get out there where the game is.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 03-11-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9214 Times on 3975 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

IIRC, when I was stationed there. Alaska was the only place that permiited the use of food stamps to buy ammo! Where abouts are you in the Great Land? Used to cover the area from just south of Delta Junction to Barrow (actually, we did one jump North of Barrow- on the icecap)

Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

How much do live chicks cost? Chickens will lay eggs for a few years before they stop producing them.

Check Alaska's laws, but you should be able to build a still to make your own ethanol to be blended into gasahol. It'll take about $200 to convert a vehicle to run gasahol, but after the conversion, it can be run in concentrations of up to 80% alcohol. Potatoes are easily grown, they're plenty startchy, and as long as you don't dig them all up, they don't need top be replanted often.

Order reloading supplies from the mainland and load your own ammo.

Consider a dog team in place of the snow machine.

Consider turning your residence into a hunting/fishing lodge. You know where the game is, make some money off of it.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9214 Times on 3975 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Matt- growing potatoes will depend on where you are- condition called permafrost in many areas of Alaska- ground frozen year round at depth of 6-12 inches. Problems with shipping reloading components, like primers and powder- which cannot be shipped by air- and a lot of places just do not have roads to them! You are at the end of a VERY long supp[ train.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Matt- growing potatoes will depend on where you are- condition called permafrost in many areas of Alaska- ground frozen year round at depth of 6-12 inches. Problems with shipping reloading components, like primers and powder- which cannot be shipped by air- and a lot of places just do not have roads to them! You are at the end of a VERY long supp[ train.
I'm familiar with permafrost. They can be grown in raised beds in greenhouses though.

I forgot about explosives being banned from air shipping. I lived in Juneau for a while though, so I'm familiar with the lack of roads. I got tired of paying $8/pack for smokes, so I had people from back home mail them to me.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #6

Default Frozzen Chickens

Arctic Chickens thers some out here but its a definately costly heating a coop and bringing in feed & supplaments, the -20F to -40F temps would do them in if the coop wasent heated in some way, potatos dont grow in this area, they tried at the spud farm sight over by Selawik AK, the brewing your own would be great but the Bootleg Alcohol enforcement weenies would spoil that in short order.
Dogs is very labor intensive having to tend them full time its almost as bad as milking cows back home. lots of feed and shelter requireing extensive $$ in shelter & feed for chickens & dogs. We just had a run of blizzards for the last 4 weeks some them were up to 50 & 60 mph winds. lasting 2-3 days each.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Move south?

Roger Waters

Old 03-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #8

Ptarmagan are spooked too close to town lots of kids high marking and sled necking the hills out back o town, seen lots of sign of rabbits but ole bunnies are holed up in the willow thickets (where the snow's never hard can fall through up to your chest) a fella sets snares as best he could, while out there there was 3 others doing the same thing (hunting rabbits) my boy & I take shotguns (H&R Pump 20 and a old brazilan single shot 12) may have to go further outta town, the Puma 340 is a short track and has trouble in punchy snow have added 8" ski skinz for floatation (will dig itself a hole if your not on the ball) may have change the sprockets in the chain case and re-rigg the clutching to have more low end torque for pulling hills and sleds.
Did hear the hunting is good 7 miles outta town down the penninsula over buy Cape Blossom area travel is good for the most part.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #9

Default 13 blizzards in the last 30 days

13 blizzards in 30 days kinda bites! we lost a couple sno-machiners they succombed to Hypothermia not long after being found in ther sno-cave.
been stacking drifts some as tall as 10 & taller where they plowed snow creating even more work, the city of OTZ had begun shutting down during blizzards they already spent the seasons snow removal $$ and quickly running out of places to dump it all, this stuff is the hard snow! we can walk over some the drifts leaving only boot tread marks! not like the soft stuff seen on sled necks!
man im lucky I dident have a whole team of huski's to bring in out the storm.
some the thether chains are now underneath 10 foot drifts.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #10

Default Cold & dry

Well its time to bust a move been digging out equipment and door way's bunny boots were nice now I gotta move around allot so am switching over to air force mukluks.