Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Less Than Lethal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Less Than Lethal?

If you were to carry a weapon of some sort that was less that lethal (knives not included)...

1. What would you carry?

2. What would your rules be for using it?

3. How would you carry it?

4. What would be the advantages of one type over another?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Less Than Lethal

Hello all

RON L = Seresurplus

1. I have and upon ocassion carry a spring Billy or a Colapasable baton, when a firearm is not allowed or not prudent! I think a good club, is a great weapon and it has saved my ass a few times, mostly over sea's, but some here in the good old USA!

RON

PS: Have tried Electric Stun Type devices, if ya gotta be that close, I'd chose the baton any time! I'm not including taser, as I have not tried that, and only see what I see on the COP shows!

Old 05-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #3

Give me a 6 foot hardwood hiking staff. Even it could be lethal, however, it wouldn't stand up to a gun.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never did believe in a nonlethal defence if some fool wants to harm,I want to make sure it's down and not going to spring backup.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #5

Default shotgun non-lethal

I spent a year in Iraq.... and wished we had non-lethal bags for the 12 ga's. Would have been great for unruly crowds, vehicles that weren't listening, and many other situations that they would have come in handy!!!!

Here in the states though..... if I can justify using a tazer gun, then either I could have gotten out of the situation, or I can justify using the .45. Either way not something I'd carry.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I carry a steel framed 1911. If I want someone dead, I aim and squeeze. If I don't want them dead, but need to get a message across, I pistol whip the **** out of them.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #7

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I like the tazer gun for non leathel because I like to watch them flop around on the side walk.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #8

Default Good videos for opaww

I have a video of about 60 of us taking tazer hits in 2004, while I was in the Army. I'll see if I can find it. If you have ever been tazered its an experience..... the weirdest part is seeing the waves of light that I saw in my mind with every clack of the tazer. Time slows and you feel like you could about count the ticks. Its in the beginning of one of my tapes, if i find it I'll try to get some of it on file to show you guys. It is pretty darn funny!!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What ever less-than-lethal devices one uses, or carries, it would be a good idea to get professional training and practice, practice, practice. During my career in coppery, I and other officers took the required annual, one-day "defensive tactics" training. We'd learn the latest approved moves using (through the years) the wooden baton (yes, I'm that old), plastic baton, metal baton, PR-24 Side Handled baton, and Asp collapsing baton. We'd learn the latest control holds and use them to throw our fellow officers around the gym, have fun, stop off for a beer, go home, wake up sore the next day and forget what we learned. When it came down to actually using what we learned, most often we (myself included) would revert to the good old Baseball Bat grip. If the case goes to court and the defense brings up excessive force, our training records became relevant evidence. On paper we were certified that we knew the approved moves, so the defense attorney would dramatically ask, "So officer, will you please tell the court why you did not use the prescribed and approved level of force?" That's when the jury's full attention is focused on what you have to say for yourself. Gulp!

When I saw an officer get bent over and _______ for punitive damages and had to hock his house, we began taking the training seriously.

The same can happen to anyone, cop or non-cop, using physical force with a less-than-lethal weapon or device. If you carry a gun, get proficient with it. Ditto for other weapons. If you carry them, learn the correct way to use them. Unlawful use of force does not only apply to cops.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

+1

Good point, and good info to know. Military types like me are in the same boat because of our training. I have to really be careful whether I use lethal or non-lethal force on anybody. A lawyer could have a field day with me if I'm not careful and smart.

The aftermath is always much more painful than the actual confrontation.