Lazy Prepper - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Lazy Prepper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #51
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
There is nobody on this forum who has every experience extreme total societal destruction. Power outage, downed poles, and toppled trees do not make for a SHTF condition. In an extreme meltdown where starvation prevails, cannibalism will be the greatest threat.
That's true. But there are a lot of situations that could be problematic for anyone that fall far short of complete societal disintegration. You'll find if you prep for the little things, the big things also get taken care of.

Now, if we're talking very long-term, sustained SHTF - decades - then yes, a very big concern is cannibalism. That happened in the Ukraine and elsewhere. But whether someone is advancing on my home to steal my TV or cook me up with some fava beans is moot: they're going down either way. And I probably wouldn't be looking at the BG as lunch afterward if I have my S together.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #52
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
There is nobody on this forum who has every experience extreme total societal destruction. Power outage, downed poles, and toppled trees do not make for a SHTF condition. In an extreme meltdown where starvation prevails, cannibalism will be the greatest threat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That's true. But there are a lot of situations that could be problematic for anyone that fall far short of complete societal disintegration. You'll find if you prep for the little things, the big things also get taken care of.

Now, if we're talking very long-term, sustained SHTF - decades - then yes, a very big concern is cannibalism. That happened in the Ukraine and elsewhere. But whether someone is advancing on my home to steal my TV or cook me up with some fava beans is moot: they're going down either way. And I probably wouldn't be looking at the BG as lunch afterward if I have my S together.
The truly prepared will not be resorting to cannibalism That will be the unprepared, which includes the dude with guns and ammo but little else in the way of necessary supplies. Like food.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #53

Liked 4545 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
So now we know Mosin, Ranger-6 and Josh1158 are jerks who shouldn't be welcome here.

Originally Posted by Mosin about the best SHTF round:
"The round that's going to get me the next guys guns and ammunition...."

These are real P'sOS.
Really? Oh, I'm sorry I didn't include at the end of my sarcastic comment.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #54

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
So now we know Mosin, Ranger-6 and Josh1158 are jerks who shouldn't be welcome here...
Survivalism is an individual effort. Try not to allow your fear and paranoia of survival failure lead you to complacency of the dangers arising from total societal disintegration and economic meltdown.

Massive hysteria will not be like a picnic vacation where a couple of months will cause everything to return to normalcy.

There will be hard challenges and difficult decisions to make when everything collapses.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #55

Yep, all one has to do is look at Africa, parts of South America a few decades ago, Burma, the Balkans, and the list goes on.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #56

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not to disrupt the path of the thread... but...

I actually haven't decided on anything. The reality is that I am a paralysis-by-analysis kind of person. The concept of having a near infinite number of decisions to make sucks in my book. I'm not looking to have all of my decisions made for me, I'm just looking for guidance on a quick-fix, better-this-than-nothing, bug out bag, because if I wait until I can make fully-educated decisions on every single piece of kit (off set by a cost vs. value analysis for each and every item!), first, I'll first have to wait until I am committed to that degree, and then second, I will be delayed by the duration of time that it would take me to actually make all those decisions and acquire everything.

The question really isn't would you buy it? (Because I would think you are all educated enough on your decisions to go the per item route.) The question is if you had a friend or neighbor who wasn't going to put in the time and effort (YET) would you say "go ahead and get it" or "No, buy THIS SPECIFIC KIT, instead"?

In reality, the purchase of any kit will start me down the path. I just need a decently qualified starting point. Believe me just picking an empty backpack to start with would be a lengthy decision for me.

This isn't meant to ride out a hurricane down here in FL (although it could work as emergency rations if need be), as we have enough short term food and water to get by (I say short term because we dont' have stuff that will last 25 years - just normal store bought non-perishables).

This is meant as an evactuation bag where store bought food may not be that easy to come by. It is not meant to get me through end-times. I can recognize that this would be massively insufficient.

It's like asking about what mountain bike to buy. What I'm hoping not to get is -- "You should buy every individual part and put the bike together yourself, that way you'll have a better bike for less money, and you'll intimately know every littel thing about your bike". So, I'm left trying to figure out which guage and material I should buy for spokes, where the best place to buy them from is, and what color spoke nipples to get. When I'm hoping to get an answer like, "Buy the Specialized Rockhopper, it's a great bike and will serve you well until you get to the point that you understand what improvements you'd want to make, but change out the grips, they are lousy, buy X-grips."

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 03-27-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #57

Well, in that case, a survival kit like this should definitely suit your needs. You may want to go to either Wise or CheaperThanDirt and order the Wise food sample pack to see if you would actually eat the food and what it would take to make it, some of that dehydrated stuff is downright nasty.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #58
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The purpose of a bug-out bag is to get from one place to another. It is NOT to survive indefinitely. You know your environment better than anyone here. Will you need extra clothing? Is DEET more important than a wool hat and warm boots? Are you in an urban or rural area?

Think about what your bug-out locations are. Or, think about getting home from work if you couldn't use your car. What makes sense for you?

Begin building a bag based on what you observe and assume. Then, take a weekend and test it. You'll probably find you included stuff you probably won't ever need and didn't include some things that would have really been nice to have.

Test it again. That will help you refine your bag.

Now, for folks near you who won't think about this sort of thing, you can recommend what you have in your bag. But like I said before, you need to know how to use the stuff in the bag before you need to.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #59

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That's true. But there are a lot of situations that could be problematic... But whether someone is advancing on my home to steal my TV or cook me up with some fava beans is moot: they're going down either way...
How do you know they're not there because you won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes? Shooting first and asking questions later too!? If so, I'm very surprised.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:47 AM   #60

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
How do you know they're not there because you won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes? Shooting first and asking questions later too!? If so, I'm very surprised.
In the old west and maybe today, before you come up to the campfire you call out. Let people know you are there. Even today in the southern rural areas, when you pull in front of someones house you don't jump out and go right for the door. We wait in the car for a moment and make our way to the door. That way folks can get ready alittle for company. In a shtf, I'm sure even more measures would be worked out.

NEVER FORGET