Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Lazy Prepper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Could that person put together a better kit? Yes.
Will that person put together a better kit?.....

If it's the difference between having a kit and not having a kit at all, then no brainer, get the kit. Hell, throwing a few tins of sardines, a lighter, and a gallon of water in the trunk is better than having nothing in the trunk.
That's the rub. This would more like be my first foray into a prep bag. It might be where I stop or it might just be the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Nothing at all wrong with that kit, but EE has some good kits also. For less.
http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_120_A_name_E_Emergency%20Kits

The $119 one isn't a bad kit at all. Content list> http://beprepared.com/article.asp?ai=533
Throw a silcock key and a 99¢ pack of Imodium from your local c-store in that kit, and you'll be better prepared for an emergency than 99% of the population.
Thanks, I'll check them out. If I'm going to do an all-in-one, I'd like to get the best I can for the money.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3221

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
That's the rub. This would more like be my first foray into a prep bag. It might be where I stop or it might just be the beginning.

Thanks, I'll check them out. If I'm going to do an all-in-one, I'd like to get the best I can for the money.
Honestly, most already made kits, while useful, have low quality items.

You'd be surprised at what building a kit yourself would actually cost, using and already made kit as an example. You also have to look at each kit is for an individual, so if you have a family, they'll need one as well. You also want food items that don't need to be cooked (to include having hot water added). The reasons for this are simple - you may not have the time or be able to.

I'd actually go with this kit http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_K7%20B400_A_name_E_3-Day%20Emergency%20Kit and add to it.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #13

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Yeah, just use there list of what's in it and make your own.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Don't forget to include any medications that you or someone in your family may be on.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:16 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodeman View Post
Don't forget to include any medications that you or someone in your family may be on.
I always forget presciptions... hardly ever on any.

One thing that none of thses kits mentions is clothing....

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7826 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 10072

Better that kit than nothing at all. When you get it take it apart and use it. Having the survival pack is useless unless you know exactly how to use it. Generally I think that the kits have a bunch of fluff and stuff with little use in them. Lots of bandages and stuff but short on food.

Thing is that many preppers have no idea what the hell they are doing. Storing cans of food is all well and good, but if you don't have a can opener and know how to cook it you are screwed. Same thing with a first aid kit. Storing booze for trade is a little crazy but on the other hand knowing how to distill booze would be a good skill to have if things go that far south. Or guns for that matter (did you see the guy who shot his thumb off on TV?).

Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Better that kit than nothing at all. When you get it take it apart and use it. Having the survival pack is useless unless you know exactly how to use it. Generally I think that the kits have a bunch of fluff and stuff with little use in them. Lots of bandages and stuff but short on food.

Thing is that many preppers have no idea what the hell they are doing. Storing cans of food is all well and good, but if you don't have a can opener and know how to cook it you are screwed. Same thing with a first aid kit. Storing booze for trade is a little crazy but on the other hand knowing how to distill booze would be a good skill to have if things go that far south. Or guns for that matter (did you see the guy who shot his thumb off on TV?).
You've never just opened a can of beans and chowed down? What about beefaroni?

A BOB is only good for a very short time. 2-3 days of food (and water), a change of clothing (depending on the weather/environment), needed prescription meds, a BASIC 1st aid kit. PER PERSON...

Now, depending on the need for a BOB, there are other things you will need to add. But, it should only be what you will need to get you from point A to point B (being a bug out location - like a shelter, or a safe house of sorts) where you and a few others have stashed much more survival items - more water, food, clothing, meds, 1st aid, cooking gear, sleeping gear and comfort items, toiletries, weapons (if needed). And honestly, there should be a few of these locations, that way there are more options.

I have way too many "doomsday" scenerio friends...

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Last edited by Mason609; 03-23-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added frown..

Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
You've never just opened a can of beans and chowed down? What about beefaroni?

A BOB is only good for a very short time. 2-3 days of food (and water), a change of clothing (depending on the weather/environment), needed prescription meds, a BASIC 1st aid kit. PER PERSON...

Now, depending on the need for a BOB, there are other things you will need to add. But, it should only be what you will need to get you from point A to point B (being a bug out location - like a shelter, or a safe house of sorts) where you and a few others have stashed much more survival items - more water, food, clothing, meds, 1st aid, cooking gear, sleeping gear and comfort items, toiletries, weapons (if needed). And honestly, there should be a few of these locations, that way there are more options.

I have way too many "doomsday" scenerio friends...
My "scenario" involves the most likely thing to happen around here which is a major earthquake. I know many people who have kits they bought at Costco in their car but they have never opened them. I have looked at the list of contents on some of those kits and they have a lot of stuff that would probably just get cast aside. Many of this type of "prepper" will have radios and flashlights but with dead batteries. I know quite a few people who have become licensed Ham radio operators but don't know how to program their radios, let alone how to properly handle themselves in an emergency on the radio.

Having an emergency bag with you (perhaps in your car) is a good idea regardless of where you live or what the likely disaster would be (say tornadoes or hurricanes). Some of these scenarios are without warning and some are not. Emergencies generally cannot be predicted. Preparing for doomsday is just a little bit nuts IMHO but whatever floats your boat.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If that is what you want to maybe stake your life on, well go for it.

For what you get, it's way pricey. But hey, guess it beats nothing at all.

Jimmy

Make sure your not someone's PITA....

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
If that is what you want to maybe stake your life on, well go for it.

For what you get, it's way pricey. But hey, guess it beats nothing at all.

Jimmy
Is this directed at somebody? You should quote if it is.