Lazy Prepper
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Lazy Prepper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Lazy Prepper

OK, let me start of by saying that I am not a prepper, but I am interested. And I wanted to know what others thought about this:

Bud's Emergency Survival/Food Pack

Now, I'd expect hard-core preppers to scoff at this, but what if this was the difference between prepping and not prepping?

Is this a good start for someone that doesn't want to figureout all of the individual items that they should get?

Is there a better ready-to-go pack that's available at a comprable price?

Asked another way, if you had a friend that wasn't a prepper, but was willing to drop $260 on this, would you tell them to go for it, or would you point them in another direction?

Quote:
Buds Emergency Survival/Food Pack Special

You never know when you or your loved ones may be put into a Survival situation. This Survival/Preparedness Pack would be a good peace of mind to have around in case of an Emergency. It is geared for both Urban dwelling and Outdoor situations.

This Pack Includes 28 Entrees and 12 Breakfasts!!

Includes:

1) Lewis N Clark Uncharted Day Pack. This lightweight and durable, water and tear-resistant ripstop polyester backpack features a top-loading design into its spacious main compartment for maximum storage capacity. It has a durable base that provides long-lasting wear and protection from the elements, and it comes with a detachable rain cover. Side stash pockets contain a headphone port, a convenient carabiner, and a daisy chain for attaching extra equipment. A hidden lid pocket keeps valuables safe and secure, and the Lewis N. Clark Uncharted Day Pack has an integrated, adjustable shoulder harness and hip pads for your carrying comfort.

1) LifeStraw: This product is amazing! Purifies a minimum of 1,000 Liters of water. The advanced microfiltration membrane removes up 99.9999% of bacteria! No batteries or replacement parts needed.

1) 10.5" Serrated Survival Style Fixed Blade Knife

1) Shake Flashlight. No batteries needed!

1) Two Person Tube Tent for emergency shelter

2) N95 Particle/Dust Respirator's

1) 2 Position Pocket Stove with 6 Large Fuel Cubes Included

1) Roll of Military Trip Wire that has a lot of great uses. 160 Ft. Total.

1) 10 Yard Roll of Duct Tape

1) KA500 Solar Power/Crank Power/Battery Radio. AM/FM/NOAA Weather Alert. Also has a built in LED Flashlight and a 5 LED Reading Lamp. Built in USB Port lets you charge USB Cell Phones, Blackberry, IPOD, MP3 and More. Also includes Power Tips to Charge most Popular Cell Phones.

7) Wise Ready Made Entrees. Each Pack contains 4 Adult Size Servings (28 Meals). Just add boiling water and your Ready to Eat.
Entrees Include: Cheesy Lasagna, Chili Macaroni, Savory Stroganoff, Pasta Alfredo, Hearty Tortilla, Teriyaki And Rice and Creamy Pasta And Vegetable Rotini.

3) Wise Ready Made Breakfasts. Each Pack contains 4 Adult Size Servings (12 Breakfasts).
Breakfasts Include: Brown Sugar & Maple Multi-Grain, Crunchy Granola and Apple Cinnamon Cereal.

20) Individually wrapped Sani-Hand Wipes.

1) P-38 Mil Type Can Opener.

1) 100 Feet Of Para-cord: Made by a certified U.S. Government Contractor. 550 lb test - 7 strand core. 100% nylon. Made in USA.

1) Magnesium Fire Starter: Genuine GI Aviation Survival Fire-Starter Tool - Most Reliable & Safest Fire Starting Tool. Magnesium Shaving Edge & Sparking Insert. Genuine GI Government Issue Fire Starter. Used By US Military.

2) Olive Drab Hooded Ponchos.

1) Thermal Heat Blankets.

2) Green Glow Sticks EMITS STEADY GLOW FOR 12 HOURS.

1) Small ACU Zipper MOLLE First Aid Kit, Includes the following:
900D POLYESTER SMALL ZIPPERED POUCH - 4" x 4.25" x 2"
MOLLE ATTACHMENT STRAPS
Contents:
1 POUCH
1 2" STERI-PAD
1 ADHESIVE TAPE ROLL l 1/2"
4 3/4" x 3" BANDAGES
1 CONFORMING BANDAGE 2"
2 ALCOHOL PREP PAD - MED
2 BZK TOWELETTE
1 SMALL PACKET OF SUGAR
1 1/2 OZ. SOAP
1 ASPIRIN PACKET OF TWO
1 INSTRUCTIONS

1) 6 In 1 Olive Drab Survival Whistle: Color L.E.D. Light Survival Whistle Signal Mirror Compass Thermometer Magnifying Glass.

1) Military Type Sewing Kit: Includes scissors. Thread, thimble, buttons, snaps, etc. in o.d. compass pouch.

1) Aluminum GI Style Deluxe 5 Piece Mess Kit - Made With Heavy Gauge Polished Aluminum. Includes: Frying Pan With Handle, Sauce Pan, Lid, Plate and Plastic Cup.

1) 3 piece stainless steel knife fork and spoon locking set in a vinyl case.KIT CONTAINS 1 KNIFE 1 SPOON 1 FORK 1 CARRYING POUCH.

1) Knife and Fishing Hook Sharpener with Key Ring

1) Water Vessel With Lid

1) Collapsible Commando Axe:
THREE PIECES
EXTENDS TO 13"
FITS INTO 6" CANVAS BELT POUCH
METAL HANDLE

Handles thread together for improved strength!

1) 384 Page SAS Survival Guide. The goal of this Best Selling Book is to prepare you for any Survival Situation!

We also include a copy of The New Testament (King James Version) with our Pack.

Pack Weight Loaded is 18 Lbs.

BUD'S Price $259.00!!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7329 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

Personally, I would point them in another direction. For that amount of money you can put away quite a bit more than that.

BUT........if that's what gets one started thinking about it, then I say go for it. Hopefully his interest will grow from there and he will investigate different ways of preserving and prepping.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Honestly it sounds like a good deal. What you may want to do is go to cheaperthandirt.com and take the time to find each individual product of equal or better value and add up the prices to see what you are really looking at.
That said you may want to do some research on filters. I'm looking at one for around $300. The price sounds crazy but it will process 30,000 gallons and has a 1 Micron filter. Basically you could drink out of a prison toilet for the next 10 years with it. And dehydrating and storing your own food is much cheaper than buying the pre-packaged.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

That's pretty good but maybe a little pricey. The biggest thing that's missing is knowledge. People need to know how to really make the most of their pack BEFORE they need it and it's dark and it's raining and they're scared and they don't have a plan....

Understanding that what's in your pack can help you in a lot of situations is very different from knowing how to actually use what's in your pack.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I bet you could build a better one for less. I cant believe all that only weighs 18 lbs

Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Very well put bkt. I generally only have items of multiple use.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I agree that it seems kind of high for what is there. It is all usable stuff, though. If I was in the position of needing at least the minimum right stinking now it would be a good way to do it. Otherwise picking up what is there and what isn't there and making your own might get you better value and better kit.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #8

Liked 4173 Times on 2044 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Could that person put together a better kit? Yes.
Will that person put together a better kit?.....

If it's the difference between having a kit and not having a kit at all, then no brainer, get the kit. Hell, throwing a few tins of sardines, a lighter, and a gallon of water in the trunk is better than having nothing in the trunk.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #9

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Nothing at all wrong with that kit, but EE has some good kits also. For less.
http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_120_A_name_E_Emergency%20Kits

The $119 one isn't a bad kit at all. Content list> http://beprepared.com/article.asp?ai=533
Throw a silcock key and a 99¢ pack of Imodium from your local c-store in that kit, and you'll be better prepared for an emergency than 99% of the population.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Anything you do today to make tomarrow better is prepping. If prepacked kits is your style, fine. Like most things in life, you get out what you put in. I'm not going to scoff at the kit.

NEVER FORGET